• Brute
    • Controller
    • Corruptor
    • Defender
    • Dominator
    • Scrapper
    • Stalker
    • Tanker

Hey, I have a 50+3 Dark/Dark Corruptor so I can tell you it's nothing to write home about overall. Tarpatch is very satisfying, but otherwise I feel like I'm just spamming generic damage that happens to be black.  

The -hit on enemies may be strong, but it doesn't feel satisfying. The Bonuses that Defender has over Corruptors/Controllers using their primaries as secondaries won't help (No shields, only one weakish heal) so the defender would be worse. I feel like I can also predict lackluster damage (by blaster standards) as dark/dark.  I have a friend qith a Darkness Dominator which seems fine so I'd go with that or on of the melee AT's, sorry no hands on experience with fark melee. 

Another option is recoloring Fire. I have a Fire/Kinetics with grey/black flames which can look really great. Grouping with a friend playing the same with a bright green looked amazing when we stood together with imps and auras.

Best is going to be very subjective and depends on your playstyle. What do you see your Dark themed character doing?

Are they in the middle of the horde of baddies pummeling away while their foes are trying in vain to find them in the swirling shadows?

Are they using the powers of the void to reduce their once-powerful foes to a quivering wreck or freeze them in their tracks?

Are they simply tearing their enemies apart with raw blasts of pure darkness?

I'm partial to the D3 defender, but to be fair that's the character I have the most experience with by far. A bit slow getting started, but good mix of debuff and control for almost any situation. Much easier to level with Inherent Stamina than back in the day. I haven't tried all the rest, so I certainly can't say anything about the "best". All those Dark characters are going to play differently.

And as noted above, you can recolor other sets to be "Dark". I've played around with the idea of a "dark" fire Corruptor in the past and I thought she looked awesome, though she hasn't made it out of the costume creator yet.

• Like 1

While I love both Dark Blast and Dark Miasma, I actually feel they're not a great pairing - Miasma already crashes the enemies ToHit so much that Blast's extra is kinda irrelevant, while getting a heal in your attack set isn't worth much when you're already got one of the best heals in the game. A D/D Corruptor or Defender isn't going to be a bad character by any means, but it's one I feel isn't going to quite get the best out of either of it's powersets. If you're willing to go for the recolouring option then a Fire/Dark corruptor would be a better use of Dark Miasma IMO. (while Dark blast goes better with sets like Cold or Storm but they don't recolour quite so well).

A Dark Dark controller on the other hand has less unnecessary overlap (no redundant heals, and the secondary can't stack as much -ToHit as Miasma so having some more is nice) and Darkness Affinity is probably even better than Misama, so would be my suggestion is you want a "support" type build over a D/D corruptor or defender. For recolouring options, Fire/Dark is, again, a very good choice.

Can't really give that much feedback on the melee characters - I've play a Dark Armour tank on Live, and it was amazing, but I've always been put off by Dark Melee's lack of AoE so never really tried it.

33 minutes ago, PhroX said:

While I love both Dark Blast and Dark Miasma, I actually feel they're not a great pairing - Miasma already crashes the enemies ToHit so much that Blast's extra is kinda irrelevant, while getting a heal in your attack set isn't worth much when you're already got one of the best heals in the game. A D/D Corruptor or Defender isn't going to be a bad character by any means, but it's one I feel isn't going to quite get the best out of either of it's powersets. If you're willing to go for the recolouring option then a Fire/Dark corruptor would be a better use of Dark Miasma IMO. (while Dark blast goes better with sets like Cold or Storm but they don't recolour quite so well).

A Dark Dark controller on the other hand has less unnecessary overlap (no redundant heals, and the secondary can't stack as much -ToHit as Miasma so having some more is nice) and Darkness Affinity is probably even better than Misama, so would be my suggestion is you want a "support" type build over a D/D corruptor or defender. For recolouring options, Fire/Dark is, again, a very good choice.

It’s going to depend on how you want any to play. The defender/corrupter variant will be more active and more damage focused.  For pure support go controller. 

All of them, really but im partial to the Dark Dark Dark Defender myself Panda FTW

Dark Dark as a def combo is about not only keeping mobs to hit on the floor but it combined a series of attacks with solid controls attached to them

Edited by catsi563
  • Like 2

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

I'll echo the sentiment for the original CoH D3, the double dark defender. All the debuffing, not just -tohit, but -resist and -regen as well. Other ATs do this too but none as inherently well as the defender. Add in the soft and hard controls, Fluffy and you're going to feel very controller-y with defender numbers. Damage is not good in the early game, but with IOs and procs can be brought up to surprising numbers in the end and late game. Also the defender ATOs provide some very nice set bonuses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justisaur said:

It's looking like Defender or Controller are the leaders, both appeal, but I realized Dom just fits the concept better, even if it isn't the best, it ought to be at least o.k.

Fair enough. I very much love my D3 Defender, but I think the Dark/Dark Controller is probably stronger. The Dominator should be fine.

This thread got me thinking about how much I wanted Blasters for villains.  No healing no buffing just blasting. So I just made a Dark/Dark blaster for Rogue work. Not my favorite blaster but it will be a concept project for being a villain. Thanks for the inspiration. I will probably learn more about blapping too