Inbox Phishing or...?

So I got this unsolicited PM (username redacted):

" Am xxxxxxx by name, I want us to be friends,
email me at  ( [email protected] )  i have something important to discuss with you i don't always come online here please email me now "

Long experience online has made me suspicious of phishing attempts.  The apparent urgency to respond now puts me even more on my guard.  Have other folks received similar or identical PMs?  Is this a known thing?  Or just a poorly-constructed but genuine attempt at friendship?

9 minutes ago, Sailboat said:

email me at  ( [email protected] )  i have something important to discuss with you i don't always come online here please email me now "

Long experience online has made me suspicious of phishing attempts.  The apparent urgency to respond now puts me even more on my guard.  Have other folks received similar or identical PMs?  Is this a known thing?  Or just a poorly-constructed but genuine attempt at friendship?

Sadly, it's not genuine - a lot of us got these yesterday.

• Like 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

• 4 weeks later
  • Retired Game Master
On 9/3/2019 at 7:27 PM, 0th Power said:

I got an email from a Nigerian prince. 

OOooooOOOoooo, you lucky dog, you.

Seriously though, anything you folks get like that, flag it up to us and we will kill it with fire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"No, really. He's a GM. Don't ask me."

--The Entire Server, probably.

• 1 month later
On 8/8/2019 at 6:27 PM, Sailboat said:

You can block a member from sending you Private Messages through the forum ignore feature. You can find the Ignore Feature by clicking on your Name (Top right), and select Ignored Users. Enter the person you do not wish to get a PM from and click the 'Messages' checkbox.

I know that it doesn't stop them from sending you it in the first place, but it will stop them the next time.

I'm not sure if Admin has enabled the ability for users to turn off 'Private Message' Inbox completely, if they have you can always turn off your PM's.... but that is a bit of drastic approach.

Also, the forum admin can set the forum settings to only allow members with a X amount posts from being able to use the Private Message system.