Newbie question about enhancement slotting

Sergio

Hello all, my wife believes that buying a set of 6 enhancements and slotting them in more than one power will still reap the full set rewards. I believe that if you buy a set of 6, then they must be slotted into the one power to gain the full benefits of the 6.

Who is correct, or is there some strange middle ground?

Set bonuses are checked per power. 6 slot enhancements in one power, you get all the bonuses. Put 3 and 3 in two separate powers, you get the first two bonuses twice. As an additional note, you can get each uniquely named set bonus (e.g. "moderate ranged defense") up to 5 times regardless of whether it comes from 5 different sets or 5 copies of the same set. 

Edited to add, it's pretty easy to observe and verify this:

• fire up your alternative build (talk to a trainer to do this)
  • buy 4 pieces of a really cheap set you can slot into two powers
  • slot each power with 2 pieces
  • check your combat attributes / character info and see which set bonuses you have (it's going to be the first bonus twice instead of bonuses 1 through 3 once)
Edited by DSorrow
  • Like 1

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

To piggyback on the above answer, here's an example:  Let's take Numina's Convalescence, a healing set with one unique enhancement, being slotted into Bio Armor which can slot many healing sets.

You have 2x slotted in Health, including the unique Regeneration/Recovery enhancement, giving you 12% extra regen from the set bonus list.

You have 3x slotted in Inexhaustible, giving you 12% extra regen and 1.88% maximum health.

You have 5x slotted in Ablative Carapace, giving you 12% extra regen, 1.88% maximum health, 6% increased healing, and 3.75% S/L resistance.

For a total of 36% increased regen, 3.76% maximum health, 6% increased healing, and 3.75% S/L resistance.

However, because you have the set's unique enhancement on Health, you can't also have a 6x setup on Ablative Carapace for the 6th bonus on the list: 3.75% ranged and 1.875% E/N defenses.

Edited by Veracor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Veracor - Veracor, Bio/TW Tanker on Everlasting.

Everlasting raid leader, Hamidon main tank, iTrial main tank -- hit me up if you have questions!

Firstly I'd like to thank DSorrow and Veracor for taking the time to give me their comprehensive and very thorough answers. If these answers were human they'd be royalty, little princes amongst us peasants. However they lend themselves to another tiny follow-on question if I may be so bold.

What?

• Like 1

In short: your wife is you are right.  You only get set bonuses if the pieces are in the same power.

What Veracor was explaining, is that you can have the same set more than once, and get the same bonuses more than once.

Some individual Enhancements are labelled as "unique", meaning you can only slot one, once, in a single power.  But the REST of the set?  Get it twice, three times, TEN times, knock yourself out.  

Edited by PaxArcana

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

18 hours ago, PaxArcana said:

But the REST of the set?  Get it twice, three times, TEN times, knock yourself out.  

Set bonuses only stack up to five.

While a character can slot the same (full or partial) set multiple times in different powers, he cannot benefit from more than five copies of each named set bonus of the exact same attribute and amount.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Enhancement_Set_Bonuses#The_Law_of_Fives