Centering view

Display Name

21 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

PgDwn key works for me.

18 hours ago, AkuTenshiiZero said:

The B key is the default for switching to first-person.  Pressing it again switches you back to the previous camera zoom, but resets the angle.  To me, double-tapping B is second nature for fixing my camera.

17 hours ago, biostem said:

You should be able to use /camreset as part of a bind, if you want to go that route...

None of these methods will center the camera for me.

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

5 hours ago, Crysta Clear said:

I usually mouselook, and have my movement settings set to be always camera-relative. Whether I turn-mouselook with rightclick, or camera-only mouselook with middleclick, facing my camera to the side and pressing W moves me in the way my camera is facing.

What is "mouselook?"

@Super Whatsit

I use the default key settings.

1) When I move the camera to a downward view and hit Page Down the camera doesn't respond at all.

2) When I hit B once, it switches to first-person view.  When I hit it the second time, it returns the camera to the downward view.

3) /camreset doesn't move the camera either.

I can manually position the camera to a straight ahead, (roughly) centered view.  But I can never get it quite right.  There's always drift up or down while flying.

Edited by Display Name

@Super Whatsit

I've been told by several Live players that there is no way to center your camera automatically.  Hence my request here.  So if any of you can give me some help I would appreciate it.

@Super Whatsit

• Retired Game Master

If by center your camera you mean place the camera directly behind your character facing straight forward, no that is not something that exists for an automatic alignment. The reason for this is because your character would partially obscure your view for what's in front of you, so the 'default' camera position is somewhat downward facing above your character.

Edited by GM Sijin

10 hours ago, Display Name said:

What is "mouselook?"

Right-click + drag rotates the camera and turns your character to face the way the camera is pointing.
Middle-click + drag rotates the camera but leaves your character facing the direction they're already facing.

Under default settings, pressing W will move your character forward relative to your character's facing -- if you've rotated the camera with middle-click, that will be somewhere off to the side of where you are looking -- and the camera doesn't swing to the back of your character when you do this, like it does in modern MMORPGs, so you end up with a misaligned movement axis as you try to manually move the camera to what you think is 'behind' you.

If, however, you go in-game to Options -> Controls -> Mouse -> Free Camera Movement, and Enable that option, pressing W will move your character forward in relation to the camera's facing -- W will always move you in the direction you are looking. Combine that with A and D bound to Strafe Left / Right, rather than Turn Left / Right, and you have a proper control scheme wherein you always move in the direction you press relative to where you are looking, and you change where you are looking with the mouse.

This will eliminate any need you may have to control the camera with the keyboard, including a centering key.

Edited by Crysta Clear