Dacy

20 hours ago, Dacy said:

Right. I don't want to cause trouble for the negotiations, even indirectly, and I certainly don't want to be banned.

-Dacy

Have you reached out the the GMs for clarification? So far, we've all been assuming that your videos would count as "uploads of gameplay footage" but do we actually have official word on that score?

• Thanks 1

• Community Rep

I have not. I will do so, but I do not expect that I will be an exception. I have read many posts on the new rules, some quite testy, and if the hometeam was to start making an exception, there will be a mob run at the crack they see, and anyone who's had to make an unpopular rule in a group situation and then enforce it knows exactly what I mean. I think it would cause them more trouble to let me continue to post. But I will ask, because perhaps what I do is NOT considered "gameplay".

-Dacy

• Like 2

Still think it ought to be fine to post videos confined to the interior (ONLY!) of Supergroup Bases ... because everything in there is User Created/Defined (aside from the assets, obviously).  Point being that you aren't depicting gameplay that takes place in the copyrighted "shared world" created by Cryptic/Paragon Studios, and there's no combat inside of Supergroup Bases, so the only "gameplay" that you can do in there is Show And Tell™ as opposed to Fight To Win™ everywhere else in the game.

The way I'd structure the "rule" on this would be that the Base Portal is the dividing line.

Outside the Portal, in the shared world ... no bueno.

Inside the Portal, in your Supergroup Base ... have at it.

Why?  Because the interior of Supergroups are instanced User Generated Content.

Note that this interpretation means that posting videos of Architect Entertainment would remain prohibited (even though those are User Generated Content too) because combat can occur there, whereas it cannot inside of a Supergroup Base.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

• Community Rep

Okay, this says I can record for my own personal use, which I figured was fine, but not the issue. I asked for, but did not receive, clarification on whether or not my videos fell into the category of "game play", which meant they couldn't be uploaded, or if they did not, then perhaps they could still be uploaded. Nor did it answer whether or not there was any way in which a video could be posted to the forums and be in compliance with the new rule.

-Dacy

Conjecture on my part, but based on experiences in the game industry and dealing with the publisher side of things:

Sadly, things don't look good for you sharing your videos right now, in any capacity.

Unless I missed it, Jimmy and the team have been -decidedly- picky about the wording they've used in regard to this recent change to the Code of Conduct.  This suggests to me that the decision was not theirs to make, and the N.D.A. expressly forbids them from admitting to that.

In the eyes of a corporate entity (like ncsoft, for "random" example), -anything- related to this game is viewed as _their_ property.  It doesn't really matter how reasonable it is to suggest that something you personally created using the tools laid out by the software in this game belongs to you as your own intellectual property . . . a company like that will never admit to the possibility that something created with their software is anything other than their property.  

If City of Heroes had been released just five years later, or was still actively operated by ncsoft today, I suspect their Terms of Use would have been wildly different than the ones we all signed up under years ago.  Take a look at modern T.o.U.s for other games and software (for example; discord's . . . ) and you'll see specific language in place that essentially remands anything created or shared with that software as "belonging" to the company who owns that software, NOT the individual person who actually made or shared that creation.  

I haven't seen it ever go through court, so it's hard to say how binding any of these "electronic signatures" will be (not to mention the potential mess of international law getting in the way) . . . but companies these days want a complete stranglehold on intellectual property by any means at their disposal.  Most of the time, they don't care . . . they're just looking to give themselves a leg-up on competition if (for a prime example) someone creates another DOTA in their Warcraft 3 Map Editor.  But it's still really shitty behaviour on the parts of these companies, and I can't recommend enough that people give the T.o.U.s of whatever software they're using a THOROUGH examination.

I could be way off the mark, of course.  I'm just sharing my reading on the situation, which is largely influenced by the absolute shit-show which is the game's industry in these publisher-dominated days. 

Also, if Jimmy (or another member of the Homecoming Team) -has- made an official declaration of clarification (beyond:  https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/16604-need-dev-confirmation-on-new-video-rule/?tab=comments#comment-182252 ), and I missed it; then I welcome someone pointing me in that direction!

• Community Rep

Well said, and I agree. I've asked Jimmy specifically if the language in the ruling specifically included me or applied to simply anything in the game, and did not get an answer, but I only really asked because many people have asked that I check. I'm okay with not adding to what I've done so far for the time being, and am very happy they allowed us to leave up the things we'd already done.

I think the question has been asked enough times by enough people; if they were going to respond with anything, they would have. I think the silence has to mean that no alternative definition of the directive is forthcoming.

But I'll point out once again, I think that the guide is fairly complete in helping people with the basics, and I'm here and happy to answer questions, as are many fantastic base editors who all seem happy to answer questions and talk about how they did something.

-Dacy

• Thanks 1

In lieu of uploading video guides, what do you all think about holding a series of "how to" classes in game for players looking to learn about editing?  I am more than happy to devote some of my playtime to help others.  Might be tricky/clunky logistically but might also be fun!  Just a thought.

• Community Rep

Interesting! Using Discord, or just typing? If Discord was used, the person could demonstrate and talk at the same time. My Discord is currently being obnoxious if I try and use it while doing the game, tho; I can't hear much of anything, tho others can hear me fine. Hoping to do something with that this weekend, if a clean install will help it. I hope so, it's such a pain. But, I don't see any reason why someone else couldn't run a class. 🙂

-Dacy

Emmy, you are not alone.  The general reliance on discord is having negative repercussions for a lot of other people too.

Some other free software alternatives worth investigating are Teamspeak and Riot, or alternatively using a Stream but without revealing any video from the game and just using it for pure audio (risky, given the ban on streaming, but it's a thought worth examining.  Particularly if you can use language which is entirely non-specific to anything related to City of Heroes).

• 3 weeks later

Dacy, I just want to say that these videos are extremely helpful and well produced and are the main catalyst of how I'm becoming an advanced base builder, in addition to being inspired by all the awe-inducing pics in the Show Off!! thread (thank you, Impish Kat!)

I've recently come to the understanding that there are three levels of base builders:

1) Basic (builders that don't know anything about building above/below the base or stacking or perhaps they simply cannot partake of these tools because of time constraints or just lack of interest- I was in this category not more than a month ago), 

2) Advanced (builders that delve into building above/below a base and use stacking to create what they imagine.  However, this technique is still a new experience for them and will show in their initial attempts especially as high levels of frustration kick in because of said inexperience, (at least it does for me)), and

3) Expert (those that do it all so incredibly well that the products of their imagination look breathtaking and childishly simple and inspire others to one-up their own game, with the understanding that their frustrations have ended with their knowledge on how to accomplish their goals but only continue with the peculiarities of the base editor).

Currently, I have 3 bases in mind that I want to/am trying to create, but the degree in the difficulty in building theses bases are incredibly challenging and I would categorize them as Expert goals.  However, its my imagination that steers the ship, so I have to go where it goes.  I expect to be continually deleting and rebuilding my bases this year as I continue to learn.  LOL

So Dacy, Impish Kat, and all the other fantastically talented base builders out there, thank you for the inspirations and knowledge!

That being said, I am also saddened that you cannot make any more at the moment because of the policy change.

• Like 1

• Community Rep

Thanks, @Fasttrack!

Interesting categories for base builders. I had not thought about it before. I think that the thing that makes someone really stand out in base building is, first and foremost, the desire to create and do it well. Like any art, and I do feel it is art, attention to detail and imagination and vision are hugely instrumental in achieving a good outcome. And, like art, the more you practice and the more you want to do it well, the better you will become. There is also a certain amount of patience (okay, vast amounts of patience!), perseverance, and problem-solving skills that go into base building.  Coupled with the desire to make it the best it can be, these qualities make me, for instance, think, "I want to make x"...looks in editor. Hmm. Nothing like that here. "Okay, what IS here that might be made to look like X?" And I keep looking and keep experimenting until I find what works, if anything. I can't tell you how many times I've been thru all of the editor. All of it. Looking for that one thing that I can use in a particular item. Looking at the backside of things, the undersides of things, the size of things, the depth of things, and using my problem solving skills to figure out how to get from where I am to where I want to be. The commands, and the proficiency with the editor,  yeah, that helps for sure, but the people who will continue to excellence have more than a good command of how to edit, they have the vision and drive and persistence to get from a blank slate to a work of wonder. So, my friend, as you said, "it's my imagination that steers the ship"...I do believe you are on your way. 🙂

The videos are on hold, sure, but I'm still here, as are many other super talented folks, ready to help and applaud you as you keep on creating. 🙂

-Dacy

I came upon that idea because I feel like I just broke through one level and I'm now standing at the bottom of that next level, looking to advance upwards- just from learning about building above/below the base and stacking.  It feels good to be so unrestricted!

As for the persistence to look for a particular quality in an item through, I don't know... 50 tabs?  And probably 10-50 items for each tab?  And to turn them all around to find that particular quality that I'm looking for to create what I need?  I'm not sure I have that level of patience.  But, I will try.  And I salute those of you that do have that level of patience! 👍(off topic: Geez, I can't believe that they don't have a saluting emoji, yet they have a middle finger extended emoji!  WTH! Thumbs up will have to do.)

And I agree that its art.  It shows.  Its hard to see the time, the patience, that had to take place in the design of these pieces, at least for me at this stage.  But you know it takes a significant amount of time because the culmination of that is the creation of these breathtaking masterpieces.  

• Community Rep

Well, okay, I don't always have to go thru the editor for every piece, and I certainly can skip some tabs if I'm looking for say, tech stuff, I'd not look in bio-organic. Or nature. Valuables is a pretty limited area, I am not sure I've ever used anything from there. And on and on. And at this point, I have a good idea of what I will find where, but sometimes I still go looking to see if I can see something in a new way.  So I've been thru the editor, all of it, multiple multiple times, but not the whole thing for one item, nor every time, since I can eliminate some categories right off. It's categories like Room Details, Tech, Cityscape, Structures, and Shopping that typically have the most I go thru carefully, because of the wide range of textures, sizes, materials, and kinds of items you find in those places. You can find unexpectedly useful shapes and smaller items in weapons, bath and kitchen, gym, medical and science, and sometimes shopping and room details, so if I'm looking for small and unusual bits, I'll look there. And so on.

-Dacy

My apologies, Dacy.  I didn't mean to come off sounding incredulous.  It was more amazement at that sheer level of patience, plus not realizing how my post could be interpreted.  Its also that I know I don't have that level of patience so I foresaw problems already.  LOL  

I also kinda figured you have lots of items memorized by now just by the sheer volume of work you do in the base editor.  I think someday I'll be in that position, too.  But its going to take time and patience.

Anyways, thank you for that bit of advice on your go-to tabs.  That will really help when I'm finally done with the Nature tab and get into manmade structures.  Note to self: add Room Details, Tech, Cityscape, Structures, and Shopping tabs to my Favorites! 😄

• Community Rep

I do have lots of items memorized.  I’m looking for things I don’t often use, or looking thru the editor with a certain aspect in mind, so, that’s like seeing things with new eyes. My memory is pretty good, but sometimes it’s, “oh, RIGHT! That piece!” I just didn’t want you to get discouraged by making it sound like it’s more work than it is. 

Also realize re: the patience, is that I’m a perfectionist, so I spend a lot of time with very fine detail that others may not find necessary. In other words, that may not be your thing. 😊

When adding favorite tabs, add bathroom and kitchen, medical and science, and alphabet to your list. They have a large number of tintable items, and I could never count how many things I’ve made that I couldn’t do without those categories. They are huge for me. 

-Dacy 

I certainly will add those.

Quick question:  I've recently viewed your Skylighting video and in it you had a column of floating rotating cubes, almost seemed like it was supposed to be a sculpture or piece of art.  Where is that located at?

Currently, I'm creating an asteroid field and something rotating like that would fit perfectly in it.  But only if I can experiment with it to determine if I can stick a rocky base item to its surface and if that rocky surface would also then rotate. (Currently, without trying it, I'm thinking 'no' for two reasons: 1) probably will be very tough to stack a rock base item to its surface because you probably cannot toggle off its rotation and trying to line it up while its moving I can already see being near impossible, and 2) the rock base item probably will not gain the sculpture's rotation attribute.)

• Community Rep

Cityscape...there are a lot of statues that got dumped in there, and several moving pieces. I bet you'll find several things that will do quite nicely. As far as movement goes, no, you cannot attach things to moving things and have them move, as well. About all you could do is put up  black banners (prohibitive if you're doing this in the sky) and have moving things move so they appear and disappear.

You might check out "critters", there are a couple of bug-type critters that might look like sky things. Also, tech defense, believe it  or not, the stealth field, I think it is, has a neat effect, and also, just fx, ambient; several things there. There are also floating rocks in Nature, and I think they move a bit. Never used them, so not sure.

Good luck!

-Dacy

• 2 weeks later