Dacy

Hey Darcy, I've been watching your videos while building my very first sg base.  The videos have been extremely helpful!

I am having one issue I'm hoping you, or someone could help me with, and that is the editing commands.  I understand that for the specialized commands you use F1, F2. and F3.  Well, I've been trying, but I can't get my Fkeys to do anything.  Now this might be because I'm on a laptop, and not a pc, but I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out why my Fkeys aren't working as far as base editing.

Also, there might be someone out there that is having the same problem, so an answer here, may help anyone that's having my issues.  Thanks!

• Like 1

• Community Rep

Hi Ladiestorm! Glad the videos have helped you.

Did you check to see if you'd perhaps disabled the f keys? There is usually a button that enables/disables the f keys. If not, you can use / commands for all but the F5 key, I do not know the commands for that, although there probably are slash commands for the attachments. I'll ask someone who knows the code better than I do if they know the keyboard commands for that. Otherwise, here are the commands:

/edit_base [1/0] = Turn base editing on or off. 1 = on, 0 = off (e.g.: /editbase 1 to start editing from anywhere)

/grid_snap [value] = Set item placement grid to [value] degrees. Default grid = 1 (/gridsnap .25 for 1/4 grid placement, /gridsnap .5 for 1/2  grid, etc)

/angle_snap [value] = Set rotation value to [value] degrees. Default snap = 5 (/anglesnap 15, /anglesnap 25, etc)

/room_clip [1/0] -- 0 = In parent room, 1 = no constraints (this enables clipping, the F3 key. /roomclip 1 to enable clipping.)

One other possibility on why the keys don't work for you: did you by chance create a bind while in edit mode? That can screw up keybinds for that character in editing. If you did, I don't know of any fixes other than creating a different character to do the editing in that base. You might try that, anyway, to see if that fixes your problem, whatever its cause.

I hope that helps! Feel free to join my Discord channel if you are on Discord: https://discord.gg/mrGpNTMt

-Dacy

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dacy said:

Hi Ladiestorm! Glad the videos have helped you.

Did you check to see if you'd perhaps disabled the f keys? There is usually a button that enables/disables the f keys...............................................

F-Lock is a likely suspect. Without seeing what kind of laptop keyboard it is, some possibilities

would be look to the left or right of the space bar for a Fn key and press and hold it down while trying

your number keys. 1,2,3 should function as f1,f2,f3 or look along the top of the keyboard for anything that says

fn-lock and press it to see if a little LED comes on. On some laptop keyboards where space is limited the

text is replaced with a padlock symbol. To leave it "always on" could be a combination of Fn+Shift

or Fn+Esc or even Fn+Caps Lock as in the pics below. Hope this helps @ladiestorm. zb7XgP0P_o.png

c06086182.png    img_565e28a3734ec.jpg?trim=1,1&bg-color=000&pad=1,1

If that doesn't do it for you I may be able to help with a bind or

load file to switch them on and off with a key or mouse button for you.

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Thanks 3

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

• 2 weeks later
  • Community Rep

Annnnnd, videos are allowed again! Oh, it's ON!

And, we can stream. Feel free to join my Discord for tips, livestreams, 1 on 1 help: https://discord.gg/jpnPk3xm

I will be getting videos together and posting them as soon as possible. Woohoo! Please let me know if there is a topic you'd like to see.

-Dacy

• Like 5

@Dacy's videos are phenomenal.  Glad to see there will be more of them.  Sorting out the particulars of editing bases can be a real grind if you are trying to start from ground zero. 

Personally, I have a toon exclusively for base editing, and have a bunch of macros set up so I don't have to cycle through everything.  In the vein of helping people edit bases, maybe this will be of some use to someone as well.

I set up keybinds for my NUMPAD...

NUMPAD0 "powexec_tray 8 2"
DECIMAL "powexec_tray 9 2"
NUMPAD1 "powexec_tray 1 2"
NUMPAD2 "powexec_tray 2 2"
NUMPAD3 "powexec_tray 3 2"
NUMPAD4 "powexec_tray 7 3"
NUMPAD5 "powexec_tray 8 3"
NUMPAD6 "powexec_tray 9 3"
NUMPAD7 "powexec_tray 1 3"
NUMPAD8 "powexec_tray 2 3"
NUMPAD9 "powexec_tray 3 3"
ADD "powexec_tray 10 3"
SUBTRACT "powexec_tray 10 4"
MULTIPLY "powexec_tray 9 4"
DIVIDE "powexec_tray 8 4"
DECIMAL "powexec_tray 9 2"
NUMPADENTER "powexec_tray 10 2"

I put them in a bindfile, and then load them for all my new toons.  For my base editing toon, I put macros in those slots.   These macros set grid size, snap angle, and attachment.  This way I don't have to cycle through all of the options.  I push one button, and its set.  For example, the G.25 button is /macro G.25 "grid_snap 0.25$$local Grid Snap 1/4" sets the grid snap to 1/4 and says "Grid Snap 1/4" in local so I can see it.

In regards to the F5 key, a Dev went diving into the code.  According to Coppertop, nothing other than /attach_cycle exists, so you have to cycle through the options for attachment.  I just created a /attach_cycle macro for NUMPADENTER slot to keep everything together.  Its also easier because its closer to my mouse, and I don't accidentally hit a different F key by mistake.  

The numeric keys are bound to tray 1 by default, so for that I made base edit setup macros.  They enter base editing mode, open the Local chat tab, enable clipping, adust the visual scale, and bring me to the Entry Portal by pushing the numeric keys 5-9 sequentially.  When done, O exits base edit mode.  All of the macros say what they do in Local so I can make sure I have the right thing selected.  It makes it so much easier if you are doing a ton of editing.

Hope this is helpful!

Plas

Screenshot 2021-01-17 124624.jpg

Screenshot 2021-05-14 153625.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Community Rep

First of several expected vids up, and I have new editing software, too!

https://discord.gg/2QkPXjmD

-Dacy

Bless me, I put in my discord link...*ahem* The new video is up!

*blush* *sneaks off stage left*

Edited by Dacy
  • Like 8

On 11/8/2019 at 4:12 AM, EmmySky said:

I hope you get this worked out!  I know how frustrating technology can be.

Technology as in hardware, if it's built right (and you don't drop or flush it), often gives years or

even decades of trouble free service. I've own a computer tower from an era when Windows

came on floppies (circa mid 90's), works just fine. Software, on the other hand, is a butt! rs4wmRnk_o.gif

On 11/7/2019 at 6:06 AM, Dacy said:

Argh, so frustrated. The software I had been using for my videos was inherent in my vid card, but it stopped working. So, we looked for another program, my husband likes to be careful because there is a lot of malware out there. So, we got what seemed to be a good program, and I recorded a LOT of content. However, something is wrong; it plays at a much higher speed. The voice track, it's the speed it should be, but all the video is moving very fast, and it seems to be consistent with all the videos I did. Hours of work. *headdesk*

So, things will be a bit delayed, to say the least.

-Dacy

On 5/15/2021 at 9:55 AM, Dacy said:

I'm sorry to hear you wasted so much time in frustration. Been there.

In case other forumites might find it helpful what software

did you end up with & how's it working out for you?

On 4/29/2021 at 5:35 PM, ladiestorm said:

Hey Darcy.........................

I almost called her Darcy instead of Dacy at first too but it's a near-spoonerism of Dick Tracy. 07K1tHnz_o.png

Also I hope you got your keyboard issue sorted out. Post back if you still need help.

• Haha 2

07K1tHnz_o.png

Woah woah, hey we're outside the art forums here you can't just say CR and expect everyone to

know who you mean. You could be talking about the Banana Man for all they know! bdD2kT31_o.gif

You're welcome, this section deserves more attention. There is so much you

can do with bases now that would've been impossible back on Live.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

07K1tHnz_o.png

On 5/15/2021 at 10:55 AM, Dacy said:

https://discord.gg/2QkPXjmD

-Dacy

Bless me, I put in my discord link...*ahem* The new video is up!

*blush* *sneaks off stage left*

Found this on my own today when I did a search on YouTube for how many new Homecoming videos posted on YouTube over the weekend.  Not as many as I'd hoped, but your's was front and center in the filtering by date.   Really wonderful work, Dacy!

• Like 4

On 5/17/2021 at 9:33 PM, Techwright said:

Not as many as I'd hoped,

How many were there?

On 5/17/2021 at 2:01 PM, Icanav said:

Oh my god! I thought you were kidding! There really is a CR BananaMan hahahaha.

Okay then how about "CR the helpful one with the orange text and terrible puns"?

tumblr_p2x3k2mqpk1sejmmmo6_540.gifv

• Haha 2

07K1tHnz_o.png

Still working my way through all the vids an looking forward to new stuff but I just wanna say this whole thread is full of win! Thanks Dacy for all your hard work on thises vids and ty "CR the Helpful" non banana man for pointing this out. :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Christopher Robin said:

How many were there?

somewhere between 5 and 8 at the time I looked.  Don't remember exactly.  There were a couple of base open-house postings, Kuros Paladin has a prominent "Zapp's Back!" video posted, GamerFourFun had a streamed posting, I don't remember the others specifically.  In contrast, though they are low view count, there were several identifying as Reunion players.  I believe nearly all of those post solo-play videos. 

I did just go run the week-filter search again and there's more that have popped up in the last 24 hours.  Awesome!   Of those posted in the last 24 hours, Global @LastPhantomZoner caught my eye with the following, which at time I post this had 157 views, which is a lot more views than I've been seeing on COH Reunion videos for a while, even after a few weeks being posted.

Edited by Techwright
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

What I'm wanting to do is build a tower with multiple floors (more than 2 possibly 4) but am unsure how to begin. would I start with the Building above or below the base tutorial? If so I have some questions about that. When I follow the instructions in the tutorial to build it up it kicks me to the start room and doesn't keep me in the room I'm looking to build in and I cant seem to get back over to it. Am I doing something wrong? I follow the tutorials instructions but boots me back to the entry room. Do I need to move the portal out of there to the outer room floor to get there? Thanks for any help.

• Like 1

• Community Rep
3 hours ago, LdyPirate said:

When I follow the instructions in the tutorial to build it up it kicks me to the start room and doesn't keep me in the room I'm looking to build in and I cant seem to get back over to it.

Hi!  Okay, little trick to keep the editor from booting you to the entry in the first place: fill the entry, make it solid. When you finish, this means you will be ported to someplace outside of the entry room, to the side, usually; for this and for any time you are booted somewhere you don't want to be, or are stuck, type /stuck to return to the entry portal. I will be making a tutorial sharing these tips; I haven't been able to make new ones, and am just, now that we're  about two weeks in, making up for some  lost time. I am also unable to edit the existing videos without losing them altogether, but I think I will do that, once I make new ones, I will delete the older ones that are either incomplete or have outdated information.

4 hours ago, LdyPirate said:

I follow the tutorials instructions but boots me back to the entry room. Do I need to move the portal out of there to the outer room floor to get there?

If you have the entry portal in the entry room, and you are using an intrabase portal to get out to the rest of the base from there, and the room is enclosed, then yes, you'll need to do something else to be able to get out of the editor into the rest of the base, such as: either move the entry portal out to the rest of the base, or, open up the ceiling so it appears to be open sky (you can fly in and out of the open sky while in edit mode and ONLY in edit mode), or make a doorway from the entry room to the rest of the base. OR, and here's another editor quirk: enter edit mode, exit edit mode, move to where you want to be, enter edit mode again. The editor will only kick you out to the entry the first time! It will, however, ALWAYS kick you back to the entry (or outside of the entry, if the entry is filled) when you exit the editor.

4 hours ago, LdyPirate said:

What I'm wanting to do is build a tower with multiple floors (more than 2 possibly 4) but am unsure how to begin. would I start with the Building above or below the base tutorial?

I would suggest this one, rather than the first one:

It's more complete, and should do until I can redo it to make sure it covers everything.

I hope that helps! Please feel free to join my Discord channel for 1 on 1 advice from me and lots of other talented builders (screen sharing available when helpful). https://discord.gg/XrcSAvpa

-Dacy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later
  • Community Rep

Another base tour up and ready to view! Please note, change the quality you watch (corner, gear on viewing screen in YouTube) to the highest your connection will allow, because the autoplay quality makes this look horrid.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1