Dacy

Just wanted to pop in and say "THANK YOU" for these great video tutorials. I never did anything with SG bases on Live and I just recently found myself starting to tinker an you helped me out immensly. Much appreciated. 

• Like 3

Freedom toons:

Illuminata

Phoebros

Mim

Ogrebane

• Community Rep

Speaking of creating a certain look, the latest video looks at sky options, both base-wide and placed, and their effects.

Terraforming video planned next.

-Dacy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I got my sons okay to rebuild the entire base....but he likes building too so I will make one common area we compromise on (with porters and npcs) the we will each have our own half we can design however we want.  Sunday is my rebuild day and I am looking forward to it!

• Like 2

• Community Rep

Thank you!! It always makes my day to hear back. 

And doh! I put this in the index, but forgot to post it here; here’s the promised bit on terraforming:

-Dacy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Awesome vids, I've been building quite a few bases lately but there were some things I couldn't find a good look for, but your vids gave me a few more ideas to try out.  I think I've spent more time building in the last 3 weeks then running mishs.

Thanks for the tips

• Like 3

• Community Rep

Thanks so much! It inspires me to hear that the videos are helping!

I’ve got a video on making roads and other concrete surfaces all set up to record, but my software is giving me fits. Hopefully I can get it to cooperate soon!

-Dacy

• Like 3

• Community Rep

DELETED- Something was wrong with the speed.

New video, Roads and Other Cement Surfaces.

You can see most of these surfaces in a finished product, along with more demonstrations of materials good for the outside of buildings in the upcoming video release, "Materials Good For the Outside of Buildings", which I will release tomorrow, along with a base preview, but I do not wish to release any of that until the base itself is debuted by its owner.

Coming soon (maybe even later today, if my video software cooperates >.<) Advanced Building Tips and Techniques.

-Dacy

Edited by Dacy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Community Rep

Argh, so frustrated. The software I had been using for my videos was inherent in my vid card, but it stopped working. So, we looked for another program, my husband likes to be careful because there is a lot of malware out there. So, we got what seemed to be a good program, and I recorded a LOT of content. However, something is wrong; it plays at a much higher speed. The voice track, it's the speed it should be, but all the video is moving very fast, and it seems to be consistent with all the videos I did. Hours of work. *headdesk*

So, things will be a bit delayed, to say the least.

-Dacy

• Sad 2

• Community Rep

I didn’t. 😏 I’m making new ones. 

Oh, and, I wanted to ask anyone who watches the advanced techniques: was it actually helpful? Clear? At times I wasn’t sure I was explaining it well. Or that the things I was doing had been obvious techniques to everyone but me. 😝

-Dacy 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dacy said:

I didn’t. 😏 I’m making new ones. 

Oh, and, I wanted to ask anyone who watches the advanced techniques: was it actually helpful? Clear? At times I wasn’t sure I was explaining it well. Or that the things I was doing had been obvious techniques to everyone but me. 😝

-Dacy 

Some were very helpful like flipping and stacking brick walls (I like the concrete at the top and bottom) and the window thing although I dont think I have that much patience lol.  I still don't understand the angle snap...as in...when you tilt something just a notch is there a 1% angle option, why 'freehand' it.  Also on the roads they didnt seem to be melding together to me, still a slight edge where one meets the other but that may be you being close...might look more blended far away, or might be graphics rendering or even just personal eyesight or preference.  I really liked (in both videos, really all your videos) that you present items and how to use them differently.  And I will totally use that surface trick to stack items I am sick of grass going below pavement!  Thank you!

• Community Rep

Thanks so much, @EmmySky!

Yeah, the "window thing" was a demo of one thing that's possible, but it was also demonstrating possibilities. When you're looking to place quite a few objects perhaps just behind a wall so they show in front of the wall, or any time you're working with an array of items and you want them to line up, it's a good method, and I've edited with it and without it, and with it is so much easier and faster!

I use the disabled feature on anglesnap to get the lowest possible degree. 1% is not much of an angle, but it's more than the disabled option gives you. You can also set the anglesnap to  .1, .2, .5, whatever you wish, as I've shown, but I don't see a lot of difference between that and disabled, so I usually just use "disabled" unless even that is too much. The larger the object, of course, the greater the difference between the two sides you angle, so with large objects like I was working with, it's important to get the smallest degree of angle possible.

I get what you are saying about "don't understand it yet", it was probably the last control I learned to use. I didn't appreciate it at all, and would routinely turn it to "disabled" when editing because I didn't understand what it was doing, so thought, better to turn it off. Now I use it all the time, and it does make editing easier, but conceptually, it's one of the harder controls to appreciate, I think.

The roads can't meld quite as completely as some items do because they -are- at slightly different angles, and that makes a difference, as I showed you in the garden wall demo. So, if you don't like that bit of difference, I guess don't meld them. 🙂 I prefer it to the edge showing, or the flicker, when I'm trying to get a more consistent road color, but there are trade offs with the editor, unfortunately.

Thanks so much for the feedback!!

-Dacy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Community Rep

Yes, I've been busy, I had all of the videos planned out, laid out, and I've been unable to do anything about it! So, here is the next video, a look at some building materials for the outside of buildings in a base, and where to find them in the editor. (I mean, really, isn't that really the biggest part of the trick sometimes?)

-Dacy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• Community Rep

It came to my attention that there were a couple of details that were relevant to building above or below that I covered in separate videos. So, for those who aren't necessarily viewing all, here's a bit more complete guide to building above or below the base. This video includes everything from consideration of lighting, and choosing the plot and room, to opening the ceiling, moving the base portal, laying down things like grass or water so they don't flicker, the commands you'll need if you're moving the portal so that you can edit from anywhere, and further demonstration of what to do once you've got that first floor tile laid where you want to build.

I hope this helps!

-Dacy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4