Dacy

These videos are incredible and invaluable.

I have a problem on Excelsior redside: I built our base "small" because I share it with one person, but now we want to increase its size because we want a lot of IO storage.

There doesn't seem to be a "self-destruct base" command so can I just turn what I have into a much larger plot so I can drop, say, 10-15 enhancement tables, 10+ salvage containers and portals to all the zones? :s

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Neuronia said:

These videos are incredible and invaluable.

I have a problem on Excelsior redside: I built our base "small" because I share it with one person, but now we want to increase its size because we want a lot of IO storage.

There doesn't seem to be a "self-destruct base" command so can I just turn what I have into a much larger plot so I can drop, say, 10-15 enhancement tables, 10+ salvage containers and portals to all the zones? :s

You can easily have porters to all the zones and all the storage even on the smallest plot. 

You can definitely just upgrade your plot and your existing base will be a portion of it so you can then just add rooms and whatever you need from there.  

There is a limit on storage items, I believe 18 total was the last I heard, so 10+ salvage and 10-15 enh tables won't work.

Happy building!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Emmy is right, the limit is 18 total for all storage type  containers.

You can delete your base by moving the storage containers to the entry room (the delete won't work if there is a storage container with anything in it in the room), and deleting all other rooms. You can also edit the base  plot any time you wish; you can even make it the same one, just re-positioned. But the "delete room" is the closest thing there is to a base wipe.

Emmy is also right in that you can get everything you need for a functional base into a very compact area. Here are pictures of a base I'm working on. While I'm working in the big room, I've set up the entry plus a small connected room which houses everything a base can have in way of services.

NPCs, looking back towards entrancescreenshot_191122-19-41-03.thumb.jpg.b747b36a196d98a2e7fbc266c76321ab.jpg

Teleporters (you can size them much smaller)

screenshot_191122-19-41-14.thumb.jpg.5c8d61967016c9047b8c421f92e5fd9a.jpg

Medical, with entry in back for distance comparison:

screenshot_191122-19-43-40.thumb.jpg.ec4d38b0990a1fe3795152b974defaa3.jpg

A look towards the workshop, with mission computer and Ouros to the right side:

screenshot_191122-19-44-37.thumb.jpg.9149328294ff284c78020f5365ba7e7e.jpg

Work area:

screenshot_191122-19-45-08.thumb.jpg.2f20d3fdc4f7403744a481cc7f43976b.jpg

Nothing too fancy, but also nothing too dull. I simply used the base coloring to help add interest, and then added a very few visual extras, and made the storage area neater with my put-it-behind-the-wall approach. I did dress up the medical area a bit, but all in all, it did not take me long to do this. Now they have a functional base while I work on the big showy part of it.

-Dacy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later

Dacy, I just want to say THANK YOU for these vids! I was cognizant of the fact that I could rotate things and put them partially through walls, but it never occurred to me that I could flip an enhancement table, stick it 90% through a wall and make it look like a closet or something! I even managed that with the Inspiration storage machine, which saves a LOT of space!

• Like 1

• 2 months later

I was directed here because I had an issue with base editing controls (which ended up being a quirk with my keyboard). I've viewed about 5 or 6 of Dacy's videos and I am so glad I did! I knew, in a vague way, that there were vast possibilities with base building, but I had no idea what that really meant. Thank you, Dacy and everyone else who contributed to this thread. You really opened my eyes!

Edited by CriusofCoH
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later

Finally, new stuffs. I've been so busy with base editing and family stuff, I just haven't had the time to set up and do a video, but I finally got a couple together. My computer is refusing to run the software I used to do them on, so it doesn't help that, to get a video done, I have to move to an unfamiliar computer, but oh well, first world problems, heh. Anyway. I've been seeing a lot of questions as to water plates, as in, can you get a full horizon of water (no, but you can get it to extend past the base plot). How do you prevent people from falling through some of the water plates, and how do you make rivers and lakes. So I did a video covering that, and then a video I've been meaning to get to for a while, covering some techniques I use to simplify and organize complex builds, including a sample build (usually I show the pieces and talk about what to do, this time I also show you what I'm doing). So, here they are, hopefully I can get more out in a month or so. (Quite busy with a build!)

Working with Water

Building Complex Items

Hope those that need these find them useful! 🙂

-Dacy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Well, that’s not precisely the situation, but thank you! No, it’s been a while since I was able to put one out, and it may be another while before I can do more, since I am quite busy. But, since I think I’ve covered the basics, there are also fewer videos that need to be made. So I was/am just explaining the slowdown. The videos I look forward to making will probably be more time consuming to do, as well; more complex with more set up than most I’ve done. I have a request for urban areas, for example, and I was thinking of doing base tours of a selection of bases I think are good examples of things or inspirational , but that will definitely take time to research. So it’s just a case of things not getting done as fast as they were, at first. 

-Dacy

• Thanks 1

HOWEVER.... I don’t often go over Code of Conduct, because I read it when I signed up, and I have never had anything in a code of conduct that applies to me, but that just changed. @VileTerror alerted me to the new policy on publicly uploaded videos: anything put up after tomorrow is a violation, which could get me banned. 

This relates to HC trying to get legit with NCSoft, who may get twitchy about the airing of content they still consider to be theirs (although I would love to argue that, in the case of the current base editor, only the setting is original. The new commands and items make the editor a whole new animal...hence, the need for the vids). Any videos up already will be left alone, but anything out after tomorrow is subject to removal and code violation. 

So, new videos are on indefinite hold. 

-Dacy

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

Whiskey

Tango

Foxtrot

yeah, it'll get sorted out.

it does stink when good stuff is effected by the stoopid stuff other folks do.

• Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

22 minutes ago, Troo said:

t does stink when good stuff is effected by the stoopid stuff other folks do

Right, well..I'm not really sure it's a matter of "stoopid stuff" that's been done, I think they are wanting to not give NCSoft a reason to twitch or come against them in negotiations. If NC thinks that people are in any way profiting, or hey, maybe just ENJOYING "their" stuff, they might take it as a way to stop negotiations. I can understand, so I'll be good. 🙂

-Dacy

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dacy said:

or hey, maybe just ENJOYING "their" stuff

Y'know, that sounds a lot like the reason why The Battalion NC$oft destroyed City of Heroes in the first place ... people were enjoying playing it ...

• Like 2

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

So disappointed to hear that you're suspending your guide series! Although I totally understand the need to comply with the TOS!

I apologize if I missed this in an existing video, but have you covered working with NPCs at all? I constantly run into issues with trying to manipulate them, particularly with finding the spot to click when trying to get fine positioning accomplished. And as far as I can tell, there isn't any way to manipulate NPCs placed above/below the base boundaries at all? Any tips or tricks you could share?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe I covered it at least somewhat in my video on using editor commands; I certainly remember doing a lot of work on that, but not sure what made it into the final version. If it was omitted, I am sorry. So, no, there really is no way to grab a majority of the NPCs after you place them, so the trick is to manipulate them BEFORE you place them! How you do this is by using the fact that an object orients to a surface according to how the object that it's being attached to is placed. In other words, if the floor or surface you attach to is angled, so will the thing you attach to it. So angle, raise, tilt, the surface you are using to place your NPC, then remove that surface so it looks like it's on the floor or  whatever you are putting it on.  Ctrl/z if it's not right, adjust, try again. Make sense? 🙂

-Dacy

• Thanks 3

Maybe I didn't read as well, but I thought it was only things like live streams where people are playing and earning $$ or violating the host's TOS?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I thought so at first, too, @WanderingAries, but this is the policy: 

Video Policy
Whilst Homecoming is still undergoing efforts to become a legitimate operation, live broadcasts or uploads of gameplay footage are not permitted.

Obviously, there aren’t any exceptions if you’re not making money or streaming. It remains to be seen if editing is “gameplay”, but basically, the intent of the rule is that videos featuring anything in the game, not be posted. NCSOFT has a history of being unreasonable. I don’t want to give them anything they can use against negotiation. 

I am, though, very happy they are leaving the videos that are already up, alone!

-Dacy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey, just a thought, does anyone know if it's possible to have a video that will only play here on the forums? That'd be okay with the devs, I imagine...but of course, I'd have to ask. If it's even possible. Anyone know?

-Dacy

59 minutes ago, Dacy said:

Hey, just a thought, does anyone know if it's possible to have a video that will only play here on the forums? That'd be okay with the devs, I imagine...but of course, I'd have to ask. If it's even possible. Anyone know?

-Dacy

I'd imagine if they could confirm say the Private viewing option in Youtube (I think it works that way) is allowed, then it'd work.

• Thanks 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Okay, there are only two other options besides public, and I knew this, but not all of what that entailed. I can make it unlisted and embed it in a playlist that's here. Trouble is, I don't see any way of making that link undiscoverable, and if anyone had the link, they could share it with someone else, effectively, someone could make it public. If I make it private, it's viewable by invitation only, and there is a 50 share limit. Plus, to see it, users must have a YouTube account, for that one. So I guess it would depend. If the team wanted to take my word that the only place I'd share it was here, and any other places it popped up would be due to someone else, mayyyybeee, but why risk it (from the team's pov). There is no way I know of to control whether or not someone else would copy the link and post it somewhere. No idea WHY someone would, but I can't say it would never happen. Plus, I know I'm trustworthy, but that's hard to prove to someone unless they are willing to take the risk, and again, I don't see a convincing reason why they would want to do that. And, I'm just wondering out loud here, because as I've said, I think the video guide is complete at the basic level, and anything I'd add would only be more advanced stuff, which is harder to present, and base tours for inspiration, which folks can actually do on their own, *gasp*. 🙂 So I'm happy enough to leave it be for now, but I was just curious if there -was- a way, because it's nicer to do a tour by vid than by pic.

-Dacy

"why take the risk" when there's always some....person who's just out there to cause trouble. :/