Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent

Ukase

Well, call me a fool. 

Since HC CoH came out, I've gotten two tanks to level 50+3, t-4.  Tanks aren't necessarily my favorite AT, but if I play one, I want to at least be competent, in build, if not in my own performance. 

So, I was reading about the recent suggested tank changes...and I came across this term called bruising. This is a term within CoH I've never heard before. How is it that I've leveled to 50 twice and never come across it? 

I'm wondering what else is there that's escaped my eyes and left me with an incomplete picture of what being a competent tanker is about. 

I'm familiar with positioning, I've recently learned about punch-voke, and how to take aggro away from a brute or tank - if I've got enough recharge and can dish out enough damage. 

But how can I tank full advantage of bruising? Given certain attack chains, I suspect even with bruising, using tier 1 attacks is probably not the best dps. Or is it? 

Is there any recommended reading I should look at? 

Thanks in advance. 

32 minutes ago, Ukase said:

So, I was reading about the recent suggested tank changes...and I came across this term called bruising. This is a term within CoH I've never heard before. How is it that I've leveled to 50 twice and never come across it? 

Well, you kind of dont have to worry about it as Bruising is not long for this world. The devs are going to replace the Bruising mechanic and replace it with a boost in damage modifier. Of course, there's no telling if this will happen soon (they say it won't be) and it's not a definitive change (experimental, they call it). Check out the Beta patch notes to learn more.

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

Well, call me a fool. 

But how can I tank full advantage of bruising? Given certain attack chains, I suspect even with bruising, using tier 1 attacks is probably not the best dps. Or is it? 

Is there any recommended reading I should look at? 

Thanks in advance. 

Hey Ukase,

Not a fool, there's a great deal of stuff to know about the game (I tend to forget most of it.. which isn't really useful, but how it works for me), so don't feel bad about not knowing about bruising, gauntlet usually gets talked about more.

As far as taking advantage of it, as discussed the other night on TankHQ, it is linked to your T1 attack, which as you stated is probably not the best for DPS. But, it should have the fastest recharge time (I think EM might be the exception to that), and the "debuff" lasts for 8 seconds. So, to take advantage of it, make sure you land a shot with your T1 every 8 seconds (or as close to it as you can) (save slots for other powers, or try adding procs (if you have slots available).

Other reading?

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Bruising

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe

"... But removes all doubt when he opens his mouth." 

- Abraham Lincoln

(One of my favorite quotes)

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

1 hour ago, Rathulfr said:

"... But removes all doubt when he opens his mouth." 

- Abraham Lincoln

(One of my favorite quotes)

Actually, Abe didn't say that first. Unless he's older than I thought. 
It's from Proverbs 17:28 

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

The first line is from Proverbs, but the line I quoted is Abe.*

(*: first attributed in 1931, so he probably didn't really say it, but he still gets credit because it's consistent with his sense of humor)

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

On 9/12/2019 at 5:10 PM, Ukase said:

Well, see, after he got into the phone booth with Bill and Ted, they kinda got lost back in time, so Abe added some proverbs to the ol' Torah before Rufus brought them back to their proper time.

• Haha 1