Literally ANYTHING to stop ranged henchmen from brawling

Weylin

Well ... apparently ... if you've got Group Fly running, Mastermind Pets are less likely to close to melee range ...

Hardly a "solution" to the problem, but it's certainly something that can be "done" right now (by Players) to prevent melee suicidal Pets.  Doing Robots with Group Fly is kind of obvious (since it gives them a rocket boots effect) but I'm kind of curious what happens with Mercenaries.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Last I knew, removing melee powers doesn't actually work with Mastermind pets because even without one they'll still eventually decide to run into melee range. Castle himself tried simply removing brawl and discovered that the spaghetti code for the AI meant that the pets didn't give a damn that they had no melee powers and just randomly went nose-to-nose anyway sometimes. He was never able to find the time to work out how the hell he could fix it all - he didn't even find out WHY it was happening.

And I've tried the group fly thing. It's utter nonsense. Like, when I tried it my robopets took no more than 20 seconds to s*** all over that idea. Ironically, they took the extra effort to have both of them run into the enemy instead of just one as if they were offended by the very idea that group fly would restrain them.

• Thanks 1

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

2 hours ago, SaintD said:

And I've tried the group fly thing. It's utter nonsense. Like, when I tried it my robopets took no more than 20 seconds to s*** all over that idea. Ironically, they took the extra effort to have both of them run into the enemy instead of just one as if they were offended by the very idea that group fly would restrain them.

Good to know then.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

51 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

I find that the other seven pets on my team (mostly) perform so much better than Mastermind pets that I may never play the AT again.

I dunno.  At least the ones in your primary will usually all go in the same direction you do.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Good to know then.

I could have just been unlucky, but honestly, it certainly doesn't actually stop them, and anecdotally I didn't notice any particularly reduced occurrence of Khornate behaviour in pets. I expect the whole thing is basically just a psychological placebo.

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

• 2 months later

Well, William Valence may still be missing, but he fought the good fight, and I think after so many weeks since the release of the Mastermind AI Patch, I think we can say . . . 

We've won the war.  Thank you, brave code-soldiers.  May you speed on to your next battle on wings of glory!

• Like 2