Dominator Build List

Hopestar

Hello, I'm @Hopestar and I'll be maintaining a build list thread for each Archetype. From here I'll be linking any finished builds from the forums and pm'd to me or pinned on the discord into this topic.

Have a finished build that isn't here? PM me.
Please no theorycrafted (as in never played) builds, I want your used builds.

Other Build Lists:

Blaster

Brute Controller Corruptor
Defender Dominator Mastermind Scrapper
Sentinel Stalker Tanker Peacebringer
Warshade Arachnos Soldier Arachnos Widow  

Here's the format I'll be using:
Powers - ex. Darkness/Earth/Soul

Forum Link

Mids Build Link

Tags - ex. 45% S/L Defense, 75% S/L/F/C/E/N Resistances, Solo Friendly (any other things you can tell me about the build)

Mby6QPz.png
(Thanks to Kaizerin on DeviantArt for the icon)

Forum Builds:

@The_Cheeseman's Mind/Fire/Fire Permadom

Mind_Fire_Fire_Permadom_Dominator.mxd

Tags - 45% Ranged Defense, Incarnates, PermaDom, Solo Friendly

@jubakumbi's Electric/Electric/Mu

Elec_Elec_Mu_Dominator.mxd

Tags - 37% Ranged Defense, PermaDom

@MunkiLord's Darkness/Earth/Mace

Bung - Dominator (Darkness Control)v2-0.mxd

Tags - 45% S/L Defense, Melee, ST Damage, PermaDom

Discord Builds:

Jagxyz#0636's Plant/Fire/Fire

PlantFireFire_-_Dominator.mxd

Tags - 45% E/N/Ranged Defense, 75% S/L Resistances, PermaDom

Tornelco#3528's Earth/Earth/Ice

Dominator_-_Earth_Control_-_Earth_Assault.mxd

Tags - 45% S/L Defense, PermaDom

Edited by Hopestar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Great idea! I applaud you for taking on this responsibility, and I hope people will benefit greatly from it.

Question about tags: how do you define, "solo friendly"? Because my build is extremely powerful for soloing AVs/GMs at end game, but blooms rather late, as most of its damage comes from later power picks. So it's not so easy to solo level, but superb soloing challenging content once complete.

Edited by The_Cheeseman
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I know it's going to be arduous to keep up and I'm somewhat new to managing this many, but I like to think I can handle the job.

Honestly the tags come down to whatever you think a build deserves for a tag aside from the standard defense/resist/recharge (permahasten) ones. Personally I think Solo Friendly would mean "with a completed build" meaning it has everything you put in the build, IO sets and all, in which soloing AVs/GMs qualifies.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hopestar said:

Thanks, I know it's going to be arduous to keep up and I'm somewhat new to managing this many, but I like to think I can handle the job.

Honestly the tags come down to whatever you think a build deserves for a tag aside from the standard defense/resist/recharge (permahasten) ones. Personally I think Solo Friendly would mean "with a completed build" meaning it has everything you put in the build, IO sets and all, in which soloing AVs/GMs qualifies.

Makes sense to me, since it would be in the context of a completed build list. Keep up the good work!

• 1 year later
5 minutes ago, Elia87 said:

Which is the most dmging combo for a dom? Plant/fire? 

Probably yes.  Fire Assault usually then goes with the fire epic pool where you'll get fireball that gets greatly boosted thanks to Fiery Embrace plus then the fire shield is useful especially for fire farms.  

I've lost track of exactly how powerful Fire Assault is on the Homecoming server. If you happen to play it on most other servers, where it and other Assault sets haven't been rebalanced, it's far and away the best choice though, like it was on live.

I still consider it very good on Homecoming because:

• It can be played almost entirely at range, and is probably the only truly viable "Hover-dom" Assault set that delivers enough damage 
  • Both of its specials (Consume and Fiery Embrace) are very useful
Edited by oedipus_tex

• 4 months later
  • 5 months later
On 5/26/2021 at 5:02 AM, oedipus_tex said:

I've lost track of exactly how powerful Fire Assault is on the Homecoming server. If you happen to play it on most other servers, where it and other Assault sets haven't been rebalanced, it's far and away the best choice though, like it was on live.

I still consider it very good on Homecoming because:

• It can be played almost entirely at range, and is probably the only truly viable "Hover-dom" Assault set that delivers enough damage 
  • Both of its specials (Consume and Fiery Embrace) are very useful

So the assault sets have been rebalanced on 'other' servers?

I see.  Be interesting to know in what way?

More damage?

eg. Mind/Psi domi is pretty slow and light to medium damage.

I wonder when or if Domis and Trollers are going to have a HC design pass/damage pass at some point.

They seem pretty hard work to me next to blasters, brutes, scrappers or tanks.

(I do have an elec/elec/elec Domi.  Perma domi.  And it's good at control/lockdown.  But the damage, is at best, 'polite.')

Azrael.

2 hours ago, Golden Azrael said:

So the assault sets have been rebalanced on 'other' servers?

I see.  Be interesting to know in what way?

More damage?

eg. Mind/Psi domi is pretty slow and light to medium damage.

I wonder when or if Domis and Trollers are going to have a HC design pass/damage pass at some point.

They seem pretty hard work to me next to blasters, brutes, scrappers or tanks.

(I do have an elec/elec/elec Domi.  Perma domi.  And it's good at control/lockdown.  But the damage, is at best, 'polite.')

Azrael.

The Assault sets on live were a randomized assortment of attacks that had no pattern or reason behind their animation times. Because of this, on live, many of the melee attacks were barely worth taking, and Dominators were a low damage ranged class. Homecoming improved the attack values on a lot of the attacks, making them a lot better.

I like that HC did this. I'm still not quite sure they went far enough with the secondary effects of the Assault sets. The melee attacks in particular, despite now having more rational damage values. are still mostly copies of Scrapper and Tanker punches and kicks with similar secondary effects. That's fine on an armored character, but on a completely unarmored class leaves a bit to be desired IMO.

The Assault sets that stand out tend to be the ones with a strong exotic abilities that set them apart: Psi, because of its heal and recovery, Fire because of its strong ranged attacks and blue bar rescue, Dark because a combo of Power Boost and a self heal. The sets that fall directly in line with the standard design pattern IMO struggle on two levels, first with strength, and second with setting themselves off differently enough to be worth a playthrough. To me, it's not just that Electric Assault (for example) is a low performer, it's that there's nothing going on with the set that's interesting or different enough to make me want to roll it after I've rolled so many toons who are already so similar.

The closest thing I can compare Assault sets to are the Blaster Manipulation sets. Those sets I do feel are pretty wildly different from each other and encourage a lot more playthroughs. I'd like to see minor adjustments to the blander Assault sets not necessarily to make them "stronger," just a bit "weirder" or more different from each other. The Manipulation sets are really successful in this regard, IMO and offer a template for the kinds of fun things that could be added.

The Control sets haven't had a balance pass in many many years. The last one I recall was around Issue 4 or 5 when ED was introduced and the recharge on aoe holds increased to 240 seconds. Some modernization of them would be welcome. In particular, some of the single target holds and immobilizes could be sped up, and the order of power unlocks adjusted.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

An authorative (and civilised) reply, _Tex.

I see your reasoning.  I suppose the assault sets did seem somewhat 'thrown' together.  Some better than others.  The rebalance of Dominators by HC was a welcome beginning.

But if anyone plays a Mind (control set) and Psi (assault set) and comes away with that paint drying feeling, you'll know what Tex is leaning towards here.  

eg.  Controllers?  Overdue an innovative bootstrap overhaul.  The Holds are gapingly long to come around.  You have to floor the global, hasten and recharge values until you can get the 'oh crap' button to come around.  Wouldn't it be more interesting if it wasn't an 'oh crap' button?

The light damage of psi only magnifying when you miss and get a tonnage crap load of damage from melee mobs for your troubles.  Certainly, not as easy as an Elec or Stone control and assault dominator.  Sure, if you want to piddle around with +0x1 content, you'll be fine pootling along.

But I'd like to see Trollers/Dominators get a worthy 'aggregate' for their troubles.  Eg.  In Dominator?  Something simple like adding 'Assault' style damage with the domi' button.

For the Psi set?  Perhaps Drain Psyche does 'Mind bleed' damage over time?  Or a damage buff (no Build Up on mind) ala like the Mire effect on WShades?  The extended range and the fact that it's Psi is supposed to compensate?  *shrugs.  It feels like it's showing its age somewhat.  I wish I hit as hard as the Carnie Dark Mistress, she always seems to give my ATs a right galloping.

Having just come off the back of the (much improved) tank AT with Rad/BSword?  A Mind/Psi domi feels like pulling teeth.  I've been trying out settings eg. -1x4, +0x1, 2, 4, 8.  And (with a bit of skill and 'some' inspires...!) you can 'do' it and see some potential.  That's with ten % def positions and 36% smashing def' base.  Seems ok def?  Depending on setting, you only need a shot or few to get through before you are 'bombed' out for trying.  The consequences (obviously) on melee are less severe?

But the added 'balladic' feel of the combat with the nice and graceful (long?) animations doesn't seem to have the cut and thrust of a melee alt.  Al very slow.

In short, I think the Troller/Domi ATs could do with another long look.  Meagre diets compared to the Brutes and Scrappers...and a universe away from a rocking War Shade.

Sure, I could go Mind/Rad...(and have...and Radiation adds much relief as it BOMPS the mobs....) 

I'm going to try Mind/Psi with the Psi epic.  And try and bend the game to my will somewhat.  Thanks to advice from _Tex and others on a Mind/Psi domi threads.

Speed things up a bit with hasten and recharge recipes, add in some proc damage HERE and THERE and try and get base defence numbers up high enough to absorb the errant Wolf mobs that sprint up to me and SLAP half my HPs.

Azrael.

...and Electricity.  I find it interesting enough. (I've elec Tanks, Blasters and Corruptors...)  eg. I find the control set superior to Mind in every way.  (You can tell the elec #trol set came later.)

But not as dramatic as Gravity.  For sure.

The control damage is very grindy and 'wholesale' (can be helped by Musc' and Assault if you're post 50.  Which actually brings the damage up somewhat to be noticeable.)

Azrael.

37 minutes ago, Golden Azrael said:

...and Electricity.  I find it interesting enough. (I've elec Tanks, Blasters and Corruptors...)  eg. I find the control set superior to Mind in every way.  (You can tell the elec #trol set came later.)

But not as dramatic as Gravity.  For sure.

The control damage is very grindy and 'wholesale' (can be helped by Musc' and Assault if you're post 50.  Which actually brings the damage up somewhat to be noticeable.)

Azrael.

Electric Control is great fun, but also I think an example of the design overtaking the project, if that makes sense. In Electric Control's case, there was a strong desire to make the "contagious jump" concept work, and I'm not certain the set came out better for it.

Synaptic Overload doesn't Dominate on its chain jumps, for example. There's no balance reason for that that I'm aware of, it's just that it summons pseudo pets, and they were never made to Dominate. Dark Control's Shadow Field is a pseudo pet that does Dominate, so its not that there is a rule against pseudo-pets Dominating. I just think when the set was released there was so much going on with Going Rogue that it was a detail that was missed.

I wouldn't be against Jolting Chain having a much stronger -Endurance component either. It currently doesn't drain endurance on anyone but the first enemy hit. I have no idea why, because including end drain in the pets isn't an extra level of difficulty. The power's description doesn't indicate that the drain only happens on the first target, it's just one of those things you have to figure out.

Edited by oedipus_tex

Me continuing to ramble on this necro'ed post... 🙂

One of the better improvements HC made to the Assault sets is making most of the PBAoE attacks have a 15ft radius. On live these were a crapshoot of unnormalized values, often with pathetic radiuses around 8 to 10 feet. The increase to 15ft radius gave most Dominators an actual reliable AoE attack, and that is pretty huge. So thank you to the HC team for that change, it does do a lot for the class.

Dominators are still stuck with a lot of (to me) unwieldly cones. I wasn't there when this class was being storyboarded by the live team, but I almost feel like Dominators were given these cone powers in order to prove a point that cones could be made useful. I think the idea was like, well, this new Dominator class can lock down enemies, so it's well positioned to use that style of power. Except, Dominators are often point blank damage dealers and some of the sets also rely on AoE auras that require specific positioning. Even without an actual damage increase, an increase in the radius and length of Dominator cone attacks would make me a lot more willing to tolerate playing some of the Assault sets. I don't feel like there's enough reward at the moment for bothering to position and then wait through the long animation times. It just doesn't "feel" good.

Edited by oedipus_tex

Your thoughts are interesting.  I can see what you're getting at, _Tex.

I think of syncing Domination through the attacks.  When it works great on the controls...it's really great.  I wonder if it could be used to augment the assault side of the coin more.  Proc damage.  A flat rate boost.  Mindmeltdown DoT dam' when Domi is active.  The radius of Domi when it's rocking and the longevity are good.  Just something missing on the assault side.

Elec.  Jolting Chain.  Agreed.  Each hit should end drain.  S.O.  Sure.  More dominate in dat.  Good power.  Could be great.

Assault.  What you need is a reward for the danger of going into melee distance with a can of beans hit points and mediocre assault damage.  The juice isn't quite worth the squeeze?  For the danger you put yourself in.  Though that doesn't stop me trying to 'tank' with my Mind/Psi.  (Health Insurance.)

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

• 3 weeks later
On 4/11/2022 at 9:51 AM, oedipus_tex said:

Synaptic Overload doesn't Dominate on its chain jumps, for example.

Wait-what?  So, the first target gets boosted by Dominate, but when it chains to the next target, it's not?  Good to know not to waste my time with that AT/build, then.

20 minutes ago, Khrystynah said:

So, the first target gets boosted by Dominate, but when it chains to the next target, it's not?  

Correct. Getting that fixed has long been on my list of Control set requests.

Edited by oedipus_tex

8 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

Correct. Getting that fixed has long been on my list of Control set requests.

Wow.  Just... wow.  On my Mind/Psy dom, Mass Confusion is boosted for all targets - I'm rather boggled that Synaptic Overload is gimped/nerfed like this.

Thanks for the info.

• 1 year later