Give Defensive Powersets with clicky mez protections the option to have an extra auto cast (just for the mez protect)

Bartacus

Things like SR, Shield Defense, etc. that have a clicky mez protection are required to choose between auto-casting hasten (or whatever their auto cast choice would've been) and auto-casting their mez protect (which, if they forget to click in the middle of a long fight, could end up killing them. I understand why auto-casting multiple abilities has potential to break the game, and I understand why it's currently limited to one.

But if there were an option for Defensive Powersets to be able to Auto-cast one power as normal, and in addition the option of auto-casting their Clicky Mez protect ONLY (not just any extra power they want) that would be a huge QoL thing for those sets. 

I know that the benefit to having clicky mez protection is that you don't have to worry about End Drain from a toggle. But, it feels kind of whack that if you're in that Powerset you're basically required to auto-cast your clicky mez anyway unless you have a killer memory as to when it's going to drop. I've found that in intense fights, it's easy to get focused on all kinds of other things and then sometimes it drops because I was trying to do everything else I could to stay alive and then I'm mezzed to death. Not fun.

Sincerely,

Someone that wants to be able to auto-cast hasten and my mez protect so I don't die. thx.

I wouldn't be mad if it happens, but I also don't think it's necessary. I feel it's part of the cost of a power and I'm good with that. I keep the mez on auto and manually fire hasten. My thinking is if Hasten drops and I didn't notice, then it likely wasn't needed much at all at that moment. 

So I prefer it to remain as is, but again I wouldn't be upset if such a thing were to be implemented assuming there was no negative changes to such powers to balance out the new convenience. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

don't think it's necessary

Hence the title being 'option.'

I agree. The option would be nice, and given SR Sentinals..there is clearly a way to do it. Why would anyone be upset if it was an optional thing? You use the click, or toggle, whichever you prefer.

Edited by Razor Cure

5 hours ago, Bartacus said:

But, it feels kind of whack that if you're in that Powerset you're basically required to auto-cast your clicky mez anyway unless you have a killer memory as to when it's going to drop. I've found that in intense fights, it's easy to get focused on all kinds of other things and then sometimes it drops because I was trying to do everything else I could to stay alive and then I'm mezzed to death. Not fun.

As a note, you can use these powers while mezzed so if you forget, it's just a matter of hitting it real quicklike.  Plus, I feel like if a fight's intense enough to miss, you're probably queuing up powers so fast you miss the chance for it to auto-click anyway.

Personally I would still love the ability to place up to 3 powers on auto cast. I don't have the greatest eyesight anymore(Glaucoma's a beach), so when I'm trying to focus on the fight happening in the middle of the screen I'm often not noticing things around the edges(such as my power tray.) The the ability to set a few important abilities on auto would really help.

39 minutes ago, biostem said:

Those mez protection powers being clickies instead of toggles already have substantial advantages over toggles.  We don't need to give such sets extra benefits beyond what they already have.

Wait, what? A click mez is a substantial advantage, but someone wanting to CHANGE that into a toggle is also somehow a benefit?

I get that click mez is actually better in a few ways, but i still would love teh option for a toggle instead.

1 minute ago, Razor Cure said:

Wait, what? A click mez is a substantial advantage, but someone wanting to CHANGE that into a toggle is also somehow a benefit?

I get that click mez is actually better in a few ways, but i still would love teh option for a toggle instead.

I thought the thread was about wanting to grant them another autofire slot, but only for click mez powers, not turning it into a toggle...

13 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

Ohh! I think it was just about teh click/toggle option..that is how I read it at least!

The thread title is "Give Defensive Powersets with clicky mez protections the option to have an extra auto cast (just for the mez protect)"

How are you interpreting "auto cast" as "toggle"?

2 hours ago, biostem said:

Those mez protection powers being clickies instead of toggles already have substantial advantages over toggles.  

All of which fall flat in the face of any kind of recharge slow being a death sentence.

Mez protection that's not up constantly might as well not be up at all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Black Zot said:

All of which fall flat in the face of any kind of recharge slow being a death sentence.

Mez protection that's not up constantly might as well not be up at all.

That's why you slot for recharge, and why they can be made to overlap.  A similar case can be made for toggles and enemies that drain your end;  Each type has its advantages and disadvantages.

Edited by biostem

5 hours ago, biostem said:

The thread title is "Give Defensive Powersets with clicky mez protections the option to have an extra auto cast (just for the mez protect)"

Cause I totally didnt rread that? lol. And now I agree..the extra auto cast is wrong, unless we ALL get one. As it is, I dont care much for extra auto cast, few of my toons use Hasten.

15 hours ago, Lazarillo said:

As a note, you can use these powers while mezzed so if you forget, it's just a matter of hitting it real quicklike.  Plus, I feel like if a fight's intense enough to miss, you're probably queuing up powers so fast you miss the chance for it to auto-click anyway.

yeah, except if you get knocked up on repeat then you can't fire it off. I don't think it's a substantial buff, if a buff at all. It's more a QoL change I'm looking for. clicky mez protects last reasonably long as is, so being able to have it on auto means that it likely would fire off before a fight begins... meaning the power queuing wouldn't affect it anyway. I understand the general concern about power creep with small changes like this but I don't really feel like it's a buff as much as a QoL change.

15 hours ago, biostem said:

Those mez protection powers being clickies instead of toggles already have substantial advantages over toggles.  We don't need to give such sets extra benefits beyond what they already have.

substantial advantages? it has exactly one advantage: you don't have to run another toggle that costs end. 

19 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

I wouldn't be mad if it happens, but I also don't think it's necessary. I feel it's part of the cost of a power and I'm good with that. I keep the mez on auto and manually fire hasten. My thinking is if Hasten drops and I didn't notice, then it likely wasn't needed much at all at that moment. 

So I prefer it to remain as is, but again I wouldn't be upset if such a thing were to be implemented assuming there was no negative changes to such powers to balance out the new convenience. 

I don't really feel like the 'cost' of running a clicky mez being that you have to remember firing it to be a particularly compelling cost if it's going to have one. 

51 minutes ago, Bartacus said:

yeah, except if you get knocked up on repeat then you can't fire it off. I don't think it's a substantial buff, if a buff at all. It's more a QoL change I'm looking for. clicky mez protects last reasonably long as is, so being able to have it on auto means that it likely would fire off before a fight begins... meaning the power queuing wouldn't affect it anyway. I understand the general concern about power creep with small changes like this but I don't really feel like it's a buff as much as a QoL change.

substantial advantages? it has exactly one advantage: you don't have to run another toggle that costs end. 

I don't really feel like the 'cost' of running a clicky mez being that you have to remember firing it to be a particularly compelling cost if it's going to have one. 

You can also stack them, and with the added DDR in the Shield version, that's definitely a significant buff. I like it as is, but again it wouldn't bother me if given the option proposed. Unless that means click mez protections have any negative adjustments to compensate for the added convenience of an additional free auto fire power.

17 hours ago, biostem said:

Don't have to be a jack ass about it. Point being the OP opens a discussion that he feels he wants to be able to have more then one click but only for mez protection. Which means he wants the benefit of a click but doesn't want the burden of one. As far as I am concerned this opens the conversation to any and all possible solutions to people that want a particular set but don't like the click mez protection. 

One solution honestly I say is just give everyone one or two more auto casts. We probably would all love it for something. Why should his SR scrapper get the benefit because it is mez protection? I mean I have perma-dominators and all of them rely on Domination for mez protection also, does that mean they also get it? Kind of unfair if they don't. What about my blasters and the incarnate Clarion, would I get the option on those powers as well? 

I think the easiest solution is just to give us all 2-3 auto clicks and be done playing games with it. That is all you got use them or don't. However short of that, I think giving the sets that have these types of mez protections a choice to the player is the next best option. I am pretty sure it is Sentinel's version of Practiced Brawler has this. That level opens 2 power choices, one is a toggle and cost end to run, the other is the click and cost end to just activate.  You can only select one of the two powers. 

I think maybe the last option is, and I honestly don't recall if they do this already or not, seems to me like they don't but, would be to give the click powers a break free element. Again my blasters Clarion if I am held I can select it and break free of the effect of the  hold or mez. Give that to the clicks in the sets, so at least if you are forgetful you can click it when you notice you are held or stunned. 

I think any of the three options would work. But I like the idea of adding more auto clicks for everyone much better then only addressing it in reguard to mez protection.

1 hour ago, QuiJon said:

Don't have to be a jack ass about it. Point being the OP opens a discussion that he feels he wants to be able to have more then one click but only for mez protection.

It is not my problem that a person discussing a change or addition to game mechanics doesn't even understand the terminology.  Another auto-cast or auto-fire slot is not "more than one click" - regular powers are click-type.  Powers that get switched on and their effect persists are toggles.  The OP was asking for an ability to set another power to autofire and/or to have that ability limited to just click-type mez protection powers.  My contention with the suggestion is that click-type status protection powers were specifically designed to be able to be easily permable and do not have any "maintenance costs" like toggles do;  They cannot be switched off, (in the event of end drain, for instance), which is a huge advantage in the late game, (vs groups like Malta, Carnies, etc).  If you're referring to how the quote was in larger text, well that is a result of a quick copy-paste of the thread title.

Edited by biostem

5 hours ago, Bartacus said:

Go fight some end-draining enemies without a lot of blues on hand, and tell me how things go when all your toggles get knocked off.  Yes, those using click-type mez protection powers are susceptible to recharge reductions, but while the click-types can be made to overlap out of the box, (thus combating those -rech effects), you cannot slot for end drain protection...

5 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Not saying to do this and not directing you to any specific places but....there are numerous methods outside of the game to do essentially what you want via macros. 

Like I said, I recommend you not use them, but the methods do exist.

You can do it entirely within the rules, just add the autocast to movement keys. So pushing forward puts hasten on auto and moves you forward. moving left, puts clicky mez resist on auto and moves you left. Only issue with this is if you either don't use keys to move (CTM or Mouse Chord) or if you just follow your buff bot around... 😄

Or as above but to other power slots.

edit:- @Thread:

I don't think you should need to jump through hoops (macros/binds) if it's possible to make any clicky in game that has enough recharge to be perma, perma then it should either be changed so that it's not possible to do (NERF IT (/jk)) or allow it to be made auto without said macros or binds).

Edited by Lost Ninja

54 minutes ago, biostem said:

It is not my problem that a person discussing a change or addition to game mechanics doesn't even understand the terminology

Ok, I was gonna defend the post above this, who was calling you a jackass. But now? You DO sound like one. I said I didnt read that bit of the post, not didnt understand it. Not my problem you apparently did exactly the same thing that I said I did.

Edited by Razor Cure

1 minute ago, Razor Cure said:

Ok, I was gonna defend the post above this, who was calling you a jackass. But now? you DO sound like one. I said I didnt read that bit of the post, not didnt understand it. Not my problem you apparently did exactly the same to what I said.

So you being ignorant of the thread you responded to is somehow on me?  Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night, man...

3 minutes ago, biostem said:

So you being ignorant of the thread you responded to is somehow on me?  Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night, man...

Again, try to understand. I did NOT read that final bit of the OP title. That totally is not the same as being ignorant of it. Clearly you have never ever misread anything in your life, or somehow interpreted it as what you think it is saying (which is exactly what I did..i jumped to thinking he was asking about click/toggle changes, not more auto cast). If only we were all that perfect.

Also, me misreading is 100% not on you. But you could have just laughed or nodded at my explanation, and got on with it. Sounding like a jackass though..

Edited by Razor Cure

Just now, Razor Cure said:

Again, try to understand. I did NOT read that final bit of the OP title. That totally is not the same as being ignorant of it. Clearly you have never ever misread anything in your life, or somehow interpreted it as what you think it is saying (which is exactly what I did..i jumped to thinking he was asking about click/toggle changes, not more auto cast). If only we were all that perfect.

Actually, that is the very definition of being ignorant about it.  I absolutely have misread things in my life, and when I do, I own up to my mistake and move on.  I don't get all defensive and try to cast my shortcomings off on those that called me out on it.  

11 minutes ago, Lost Ninja said:

You can do it entirely within the rules, just add the autocast to movement keys.

If you don't mind seeing system error messages/hearing the "failure to activate" sound, then just bind a powexec command to a movement key - no need to mess around with setting the power to autofire...