Paragon wiki

Snarky

49 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I am assuming the old wiki is not up to date. Tomax long ago disappeared 

am am I wrong?  Is some of it updated?  Did all the tomax stuff get tanked or is there another site?

Paragonwiki is in stasis lock.  They have no plans to make changes for any post shutdown adjustments to the game.

That being said said it is still a good place for issue 1-23 info,  a few things were not completed including ish 24 data prior to shutdown.

• Like 2

I don’t suppose there is any ways/plans to copy this and update it.  It is starting to remind me of WoWhead. Okay nothing is that bad.  “The exact location of this box is unknown.”  Been standing in the exact same spot for the last 15 years.   That is the worst source of information on the internet and that is only slightly hyperbole 

The old Wiki is meant to be a document of what the game was up to when it left, those were all "official" changes to what the game was.  Homecoming (and every other new server) are adding "unofficial" changes to the game, so they're not reflected there.  Imagine trying to keep track of them all, for one thing.

• Like 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

...imagine trying to....  it’s called a wiki.  Isn’t the real wiki community built?   Like Wikipedia itself?

so no I do not want to track and detail everything myself.  But if we had a place where we could organize crap we know to help each other?   Yeah. I can imagine that

From what I understand, they're trying to get The Deal with NCSoft done BEFORE they commit to a wiki project.

Once that's done, they can spin up a wiki, dump the contents of PW in there as seed-data, and proceed from there.

• Thanks 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Paragon Wiki is open source. Titian Network is on record that anyone who wants to make a copy and launch their own server-specific wiki is free to do so. So far as I know, no one's taken them up on that yet. Which leads me to suspect that project's not as easy as a lot of folks assume it would be.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ulysses Dare said:

Paragon Wiki is open source. Titian Network is on record that anyone who wants to make a copy and launch their own server-specific wiki is free to do so. So far as I know, no one's taken them up on that yet. Which leads me to suspect that project's not as easy as a lot of folks assume it would be.

There's been at least three attempts to start a Homecoming Wiki.

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

The problem is not making a homecoming wiki, the problem is using time I could spend playing the game!  Also, I currently dont have domain space and the 'user input' part still confuses me.  A plain, informational site where additional info can be sent to the webmaster for input and updating is simple.  But TIME...must

...have....more.....play!

On 11/29/2019 at 8:55 AM, Snarky said:

...imagine trying to....  it’s called a wiki.  Isn’t the real wiki community built?   Like Wikipedia itself?

so no I do not want to track and detail everything myself.  But if we had a place where we could organize crap we know to help each other?   Yeah. I can imagine that

I didn't just mean the changes, I mean all the changes to each and every new server out there.  HC has made its changes, I understand the 4chan one has made different changes, and I'm betting others have also made their own changes to boot.  Is it worthwhile to keep up on changes made on that one server for a hundred folk?  Five hundred?  And imagine looking something up there "This change came about in 2005.  Then it was updated in 2019 by the HC servers.  The 4chan server made this change instead.  Tom's Server went this direction instead, while Bill's ignored the issue and reverted it back to the pre-2005 version."  And so on.

And yeah, who's going to do it?  So far, no one, but you're welcome to!  🙂

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• 2 weeks later
On 12/1/2019 at 2:16 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

And imagine looking something up there "This change came about in 2005.  Then it was updated in 2019 by the HC servers.  The 4chan server made this change instead.  Tom's Server went this direction instead, while Bill's ignored the issue and reverted it back to the pre-2005 version."  And so on.🙂

Which is why we should only worry about our server. General stuff can be in the old live wiki, but it's much better if all the separate servers kept track of their own stuff. It is worth noting that Rebirth has already gone ahead and forked a wiki of their own here. A wiki for the Homecoming server would likewise be strictly for Homecoming.

As for where the Homecoming wiki should be hosted, I have only one thing to say: screw Fandumb, let's not start a new wiki there. Anywhere else would be fine, but either wiki.homecomingservers.com or homecomingservers.wiki would probably be the best because (assuming it can handle the traffic). Probably wiki.homecomingservers.com, because it's the same site owner (but with a redirect from the .wiki?). Not sure which would have stronger SEO.

Edited by F-Lambda
Grammar

I made a change on real Wiki. ( THE OG Wi Ki) about a page. Lasted two years. It was on an esoteric art topic and it lasted until some actual Doctoral student ‘corrected’ it. Probably way more accurate and i don’t understand what it means. Mine was more fun and obtuse only if you took it serious. 

But yes you can edit Wiki. Some pages get locked. Political pages have wars on them and are locked except for moderators

so if i am

looking at Paragon wiki and using it for backup on a two to three hour story arc and notice a huge hole of useful information i would have liked to know in advance i would love to edit it for the next person. Or for myself the next time i run it (once a year?).  

not everyone will. Not every edit will make perfect sense because it is hard to write even if you have talent.  But over time it will br filled out

or it could be like wowhead. ‘The location of this npc is unknown’ is real common on that site. Been standing in the exact same place last 15 years. In mmorpg time that is about the big bang. Yet the wiki has zero info 

9 hours ago, F-Lambda said:

screw Fandumb, let's not start a new wiki there.

With you on this 100%.

Go have fun!