fire/fire blaster q's? new/old player

Squishor

1 hour ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

it does slow them too, so most things don't get out of range before they're dead from pbaoe/fireball. but there are plenty of good play styles

aye. group-to-group isn't as much an issue.
tend to have Melee on the team with me, who either pull groups back to a mass slaughter point and/or are within the mass with me ...HotFeet fear component works against us both in those instances. same for Fulcrum or similar buffs/debuffs... tight mobs = faster killin. certainly a different play style, as you mentioned. 🙂

1 hour ago, Squishor said:

is it generally a bad idea to make up any of these shortcomings of def or resistance with incarnates or do people pretty much stick with boosting up dps and such

i don't think either is wrong. seems most look at what fell short in a build, then patch it with Incarnate. occasionally i'll load up a build & notice they absolutely built around a set of Incarn abilities already in-mind. or maybe they have a non-typical end-goal & use Incarn to accentuate those aspects... did this myself with Fire/EM Blast + SpiritualRadial to get stupid numbers from Power Boost & Energize - perma-stun AVs, massive Heal, softcaps, 31% ToHit, insane movement speeds, etc - synergy in spades for that char. other times i know going into a build what i want from an specific Incarn... Rune/MeleeCore rotation for capped Res to SLENFC w/o gap on my already softcapped SLENFC Kat/EnA Scrap for example... i wanted to see if i could achieve both caps perma before adding Divine or Meld.

i'd follow what Nemu did, as her/his builds have looked pretty well thought-out & i'd bet Incarn synergy is already accounted for.

• Thanks 1

I'd like to modify the build I posted a little. When I tested the Avalanche KD proc in burn I noticed it knocks mobs back instead of down, so I'd recommend the winter set in inferno instead and armageddon in burn. This also give burn a bit more front loaded damage through the armageddon proc which should trigger pretty often.

You can also drop acro as much as it pains me to say it. I used to swear by acrobatics on my squishies back on live but I no longer feel that way after playing on HC. I get slept/stunned enough and I have enough Mez resistance through the winter/Blaster ATO sets that I don't feel the return on investment is worth it anymore. Instead you can pick up Vengeance for another 7.5% recharge.

The reason I took web envelope is because I like having a tool to deal with flyers, but I was also thinking about keeping mobs in burn as well. However burn does a lot of front loaded damage now and thus the fear effect is not as big a deal. So you have the option to drop web envelope and replace that pick with Breath of Fire or Rain of Fire and slot that power with 5 piece ragnorak and retain the 10% recharge bonus if you feel like you need more attacks in your AoE rotation.

For exemp purposes you can move the snipe up before or at level 30 to have a smoother single target rotation, at those low levels I think the two AoEs you have is enough.

I also noticed I 3 slotted Hasten and I'd reduce that to 2 slots but +5 both IOs

I also switched the gaussian's build up proc placement into aim.

Also minor advice on slotting the snipe, interrupt time is useless now because of fast snipe, use the Damage/End Redux/Recharge IO instead of the Dam/Int/Recharge.

Here is the revised build with web envelope because I like -Fly and rooting mobs gives you a chance to run away!

This leaves you 1 slot to place however you wish, you can put a panacea proc in health for more end management, put a Kismet Acc in one of your defense toggles for more to hit, or a LOTG Def IO in CJ for more defense and 10% regen bonus, or the unbreakable guard HP proc into tough. It's up to you.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Fire Blast
Secondary Power Set: Fire Manipulation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Flares -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(34), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(37)
Level 1: Ring of Fire -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(23), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(31)
Level 2: Fire Ball -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(5), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(11)
Level 4: Super Speed -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 6: Fire Sword -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(9), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(11)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 10: Fire Sword Circle -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(37), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(40)
Level 12: Aim -- RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(A), RctRtc-Pcptn(13), GssSynFr--Build%(17)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 16: Build Up -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(17)
Level 18: Blaze -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Apc-Acc/Rchg(19), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(21), Apc-Dam%(21)
Level 20: Cauterizing Aura -- Erd-Acc/Rchg(A), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), EndMod-I(48), EndMod-I(50)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(25), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(25), Ags-ResDam(45), Ags-Psi/Status(46)
Level 26: Blazing Bolt -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(27), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(27), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), StnoftheM-Dam%(31), HO:Nucle(46)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(29), RedFrt-Def(29)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(45), RedFrt-Def(45)
Level 32: Inferno -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(50)
Level 35: Burn -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Arm-Acc/Rchg(43), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Arm-Dam%(48)
Level 38: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def(39), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(39)
Level 41: Web Envelope -- GrvAnc-Immob(A), GrvAnc-Acc/Immob/Rchg(42), GrvAnc-Acc/Rchg(42), GrvAnc-Immob/EndRdx(42), GrvAnc-Hold%(43)
Level 44: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 47: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(37)
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon
Level 50: Support Core Embodiment
Level 50: Pyronic Core Final Judgement
Level 50: Diamagnetic Radial Flawless Interface
Level 50: Clarion Radial Epiphany
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 0: Task Force Commander
------------

Edited by Nemu

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

Nemu, A few quick questions regarding a few of your slot choices if you don't mind? Sorry in advance if this is basic q's as I have been out of the game for some time. When I move a slot out of aim/bu and or the hami slot on blazing I notice the recharge time is very minimally effected, allowing me to maybe take up RoF or Fire Breath instead of superjump. Is that due to the incarnates you have selected and would you advise against doing that for something I am not noticing? I used to take blazing bolt just for the io bonuses due to the casting time and interupt on it but I am not sure I understand the free cast element of it with a characters % to hit buff??? 

I like the reason you have web envelop so I was wondering if that makes sense to add  to my aoe rotation at all or with the recharge, just fss, ball, burn, nuke, and the incarnate when up are plenty? I know why you keep super speed from earlier and that makes a ton of sense to me now, I can just get a jump pack for flight if need be. Sorry for the maybe basic Q's I am just trying to finalize and I thought from my days on the original game that I would always use breath or rain in rotation but I don't see them and web envelope together?

Edited by Squishor

For some reason I cannot get into mids and I am typing this out like a dumbass

Level 1: Fire Blast (5 slot) - 5/6 Decimation, minus the proc

Level 1: Ring of Fire (6 slot) - 5/6 Decimation, minus the proc + 1 Range Increase.  Note:  They buffed a lot of Blaster Secondary Tier1 attacks, Ring of Fire blows Flares out of the water.

Level 2: Fire Ball (5 slot) - 5/6 blaster's wrath ATO, minus proc

Level 4: Hover (3 slot) - 2 fly, 1 lotg proc

Level 6: Rain of Fire (6 slot) - 5/6 Annihilation, minus proc + 1 Javelin Volley acc/end/rech

Level 8: Fire Breath (6 slot) - 5/6 Detonation, minus dmg/end + 1 Range Increase

Level 10: Fire Sword Circle (5 slot) - 5/6 Obliteration, minus proc

Level 12: Fly (1 slot) - Zepher KD protection

Level 14: Aim (2 slot) - 2 rech

Level 16: Build Up (2 slot) - 2 rech

Level 18: Blaze (5 slot) - 5/6 Decimation, minus the proc

Level 20: Cauterizing Aura (4 slot) - 2 heal, 2 recovery

Level 22: Hasten (2 slot) - 2 rech

Level 24: Afterburner (1 slot) - lotg proc

Level 26: Blazing Bolt (5 slot) - Decimation 5/6, minus the proc.  Please note:  you are now capped for 6.25% global recharge here

Level 28: Kick - not slotted

Level 30: Tough (5 slot) - 5/6 Reactive Armor set, minus rech/end

Level 32: Inferno (5 slot) - 5/6 Obliteration, minus the proc

Level 35: Weave (6 slot) - 5/6 Red Fortune minus def/rech + 1 lotg proc

Level 38: Bonfire from Flame Mastery (1 slot) - Sudden Acceleration: Knockback to Knockdown

Level 41: Fire Shield (5 slot) - 5/6 Reactive Armor, minus rech/end

Level 44: Rise of the Phoenix (3 slot) - Overwhelming Force:  DMG/Knockback to Knockdown and 2 Rech

Level 47: Stealth (1 slot) - lotg proc

Level 49: Invis (1 slot) - lotg proc

Stamina: 2 end mod

Health: 1 numina proc 1 miracle proc

Last note, there are two or 3 slots that I just did not know what to do with and not listed.

Actually now that i typed this out I can probably 6/6 tough/fire shield and use 5/5 Impervious Skin and 1 Ribo or a random end/red IO

On 1/14/2020 at 1:35 PM, Squishor said:

Nemu, A few quick questions regarding a few of your slot choices if you don't mind? Sorry in advance if this is basic q's as I have been out of the game for some time. When I move a slot out of aim/bu and or the hami slot on blazing I notice the recharge time is very minimally effected, allowing me to maybe take up RoF or Fire Breath instead of superjump. Is that due to the incarnates you have selected and would you advise against doing that for something I am not noticing? I used to take blazing bolt just for the io bonuses due to the casting time and interupt on it but I am not sure I understand the free cast element of it with a characters % to hit buff??? 

I like the reason you have web envelop so I was wondering if that makes sense to add  to my aoe rotation at all or with the recharge, just fss, ball, burn, nuke, and the incarnate when up are plenty? I know why you keep super speed from earlier and that makes a ton of sense to me now, I can just get a jump pack for flight if need be. Sorry for the maybe basic Q's I am just trying to finalize and I thought from my days on the original game that I would always use breath or rain in rotation but I don't see them and web envelope together?

There is only a level 20 to hit/rech IO in both Aim/BU, removing that will not significantly impact your recharge time on those powers because the build already has very high global recharge that put you into diminishing returns territory with additional recharge, also the NUC hami doesn't enhance recharge.

However removing the rectified reticle IO will make you lose almost 2% S/L defense. Turn off the agility core alpha bonus and see where that puts you for S/L def and then vet out if it's worth it. Removing the hami from snipe will put you at around 77ish damage enhancement value for the power. If you really want another AoE but keep web env then you can take the NUC HO out of snipe and the Build up proc out of aim and replace super jump with either fire breath or RoF, I'd lean more toward RoF because it has better proc potential and you don't have to reposition. Losing SJ is not a big deal as you have the jump pack temps but you do lose out on 20% slow resist. The 4 winter IO sets still gives you 60% slow resist though so you are still in decent shape there.

Also the only time I use web env is to ground flyers or to prevent mobs from running. It's not part of my normal AoE rotation. Burn does a lot of front-loaded damage now so it's not as important to immob mobs to get the most out of burn.

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

Thank you again for all your help. I think I left in I21 from the original game and I am learning a lot more about the end game stuff that I was clueless about. I just got all 6 sets superior and reached 50 finally. I am going to respec and follow the build like you have it except swap envelop I think for RoF and throw the other purple set there. I have about half of the purples for all 3 sets acquired now too. Making progress! I got my alpha unlocked and am working towards the next 2 now.  I think what I was seeing is that not having the incarnates unlocked was definitely showing the holes in my build but on yours you have those all covered with the incarnates and such added in. Thank you again and this guy has been a blast, blasting things... literally!

Flares has faster animation time and better damage per activation, but if one is inclined to take fire blast instead of flares that's fine too.

Fire breath does good damage no doubt, and I had it when I was leveling. But it does require positioning/repositioning and lends better to pure ranged play. Plus it has long animation times. You can take it but you'll need to constantly hop in and out of combat to leverage it in your rotation and it can get tedious.

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

5 hours ago, Duck-Smokes-Quack said:

May I ask why you take Flares rather than Fire Blast?

Also how come you skip Fire Breath?

I don't have much experience with Fire/ or Blasters really. I have been trying Ice/Ice but the limited AoE can be frustrating at time.
Fire seems to be king around these parts. 

I had breath for a while too but Nemu is definitely right on the positioning. I found I was loosing more dps trying to just position correctly to hit the most targets. Once you get your recharge up high enough I found my normal aoe rotation was hardly using it. I swapped it to Rain of Fire and I really like the change. I can have RoF going while blasting with other abilities all at the same time.

I believe this is my current build. I normally build for more defense, but the purpose of this character is pure damage and it excels at it. Combustion, Fire Breath and Fire Sword Circle were all skipped because they're either bad or have a long cast time, I still have plenty of AoE damage without them.  Most important are the damage procs in my main attack chain Blazing Bolt > Blaze > Fire Sword. Fire Blast is slotted for lower levels and when I need to stay at range.

Pro-tip -  Annihilation -res proc in Rain of Fire is pretty great.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Regression: Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Fire Blast
Secondary Power Set: Fire Manipulation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Concealment
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Fire Blast -- GldJvl-Dam/Rech(A), GldJvl-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(3), GldJvl-Acc/End/Rech(3), GldJvl-Dam/End/Rech(5), GldJvl-Acc/Dmg(5), GldJvl-Dam%(7)
Level 1: Ring of Fire -- TraoftheH-Immob/Acc(A)
Level 2: Fire Ball -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(11)
Level 4: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 6: Rain of Fire -- Ann-Acc/Dmg(A), Ann-Dmg/Rchg(13), Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), Ann-ResDeb%(15)
Level 8: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 10: Fire Sword -- Hct-Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), Hct-Acc/Rchg(19), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(19), Hct-Dam%(21), TchofDth-Dam%(21)
Level 12: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 14: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 16: Build Up -- GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(A), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(17), GssSynFr--Build%(25)
Level 18: Blaze -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), Apc-Acc/Rchg(27), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(29), Apc-Dam%(29), GldJvl-Dam%(31)
Level 20: Cauterizing Aura -- TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(A), TchoftheN-Heal(23), EffAdp-EndMod(31), EffAdp-EndMod/Acc(37), Obl-Dmg(40), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(42)
Level 22: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A)
Level 24: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31), UnbGrd-Max HP%(33), GldArm-3defTpProc(33), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(33)
Level 26: Blazing Bolt -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(34), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(36), StnoftheM-Dam%(36)
Level 28: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 30: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(36)
Level 32: Inferno -- Obl-Acc/Rchg(A), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Obl-Dmg(39), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(39), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Obl-%Dam(40)
Level 35: Burn -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(37), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Arm-Acc/Rchg(42), Arm-Dam%(42), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(45)
Level 38: Hot Feet -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), Mlt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(43)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(45), Rct-ResDam%(45), Rct-Def/EndRdx(46), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(46), Rct-Def/Rchg(46)
Level 44: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(50)
Level 47: Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Grant Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(43), Prv-Absorb%(48)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(48)
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 50: Agility Radial Paragon
------------

Edited by Corruption

• 2 weeks later
On 12/20/2019 at 1:33 PM, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

You're probably thinking of the ranged defense in 6 piece red fortune. But really most folks don't 6 piece defense sets (possible exception of reactive defenses for the 8.75 recharge but you can only do that once due to the unique). Slots are at a premium and ED kicks in for defense usually by the 4th piece. Much better to get defense bonuses from damage sets. 

As to blaster's wrath etc. - those are archetype origin sets obtained from hero/villain or rogue/vig super packs (10 mil per pack), on the AH for usually 7-10 million depending on volume and desirablility, or for 100 merits (which is a bad use of merits). To make them superior you have to use a catalyst at level 50.

Whats a good use of merits?