Why did they turn off the winter Atlas Park decor?

InfamousBrad

I had a theory until I saw this thread.  It doesn't hold water now, lol.

Theory was based on how one RL hour = 2 days in game.  So if it started snowing in game, start the clock/calendar, then when it stops snowing in game stop the clock/calendar.  Translate the time for RL comparison and see when in the RL calendar you are.  But I didn't factor in what part(s) of the RL world you, or the devs, are in.  Didn't factor in how it snows in AP but not other parts of the game, et al other factors.  But like I said "didn't think it through."

But I like the the theory 1 RL hr = 2 days in game time.  But still that would put Paragon waay into the future compared to us.  ANYway.

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

Just now, siolfir said:

Go ahead, it's all in fun anyway.

😛 already been hit with the naughty stick once this week 😄

aaargh caving in

Paragon city must have a thriving trade in heavy metals to the rest of the world...

phew managed to save myself from a demerit at the last moment!

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

On 1/8/2020 at 10:01 AM, Chris24601 said:

If we’re going for realism, I’m more concerned that the City of Heroes Earth is rotating so quickly that everything on the surface would be hurled into space by centripetal force.

Ahh, another physics geek. While you were there, did you think about the Moon's orbit having been shifted 90°, so that it rises in the south and sets in the north, and does so every day, and take the time to calculate whether this would put the Moon inside the Roche Limit and cause it to break up (it's not; it would need to come in to about three orbits every two days before it would begin to noticeably distort).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Ahh, another physics geek. While you were there, did you think about the Moon's orbit having been shifted 90°, so that it rises in the south and sets in the north, and does so every day, and take the time to calculate whether this would put the Moon inside the Roche Limit and cause it to break up (it's not; it would need to come in to about three orbits every two days before it would begin to noticeably distort).

Except if the Earth is making a full rotation every half hour and the Moon is rising every night in an orbit perpendicular to the planet’s rotation, then its actually making a full orbit every thirty minutes as well and at best should look like the Moon in Thundarr the Barbarian or, more likely, hurled itself into deep space.

This would of course end all tidal activity on the planet if the orbital rotation of the Earth hadn’t already cast all our water and atmosphere into deep space.

7 minutes ago, Chris24601 said:

This would of course end all tidal activity on the planet if the orbital rotation of the Earth hadn’t already cast all our water and atmosphere into deep space.

Well, in that case the game is correct about one thing - there isn't any tidal activity.

• Haha 2

On 1/9/2020 at 4:51 PM, Nemeroff said:

I had a theory until I saw this thread.  It doesn't hold water now, lol.

Theory was based on how one RL hour = 2 days in game.  So if it started snowing in game, start the clock/calendar, then when it stops snowing in game stop the clock/calendar.  Translate the time for RL comparison and see when in the RL calendar you are.  But I didn't factor in what part(s) of the RL world you, or the devs, are in.  Didn't factor in how it snows in AP but not other parts of the game, et al other factors.  But like I said "didn't think it through."

But I like the the theory 1 RL hr = 2 days in game time.  But still that would put Paragon waay into the future compared to us.  ANYway.

well isn't a day night cycle in game 20 minutes?

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

Personally, I have always prefered MMOs and other games to ignore the real world, it's the reason I play them in the first place, to step out of real life.

I typically play almost nil during all the events in all MMOs, it completely ruins the experience for me.

I understand others are into it, I love that it brings them joy, I just find other things to do.

So if we put a pendulum in the Atlas City Hall entry over the nice big symbol in the main room, would it kill the tourists because the higher rotational rate?

5 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

Personally, I have always prefered MMOs and other games to ignore the real world, it's the reason I play them in the first place, to step out of real life.

I typically play almost nil during all the events in all MMOs, it completely ruins the experience for me.

I understand others are into it, I love that it brings them joy, I just find other things to do.

So if we put a pendulum in the Atlas City Hall entry over the nice big symbol in the main room, would it kill the tourists because the higher rotational rate?

only if someone incompetent, like Positron, or Synapse designed it...

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!