Why did they turn off the winter Atlas Park decor?

InfamousBrad

1 hour ago, 1gecko said:

... but it is STILL very much winter! LOL!!

Ask my achy knees and back...

I totally understand ending the mission part, but the rest was nice - much more immersive.

it's a hundred degrees in your funny scale outside, this is not my definition of winter...

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

3 hours ago, Acroyear said:

The Devs should not have removed the snow from Atlas Park. It is still Winter.

There are no superheroes.  Dev's should remove HC.

Realistically, it would not be an "event" if it ran seasonal.  The effects are part of an event for Christmas, not a effect for the year. Halloween is 1 day, how do you run it "seasonal" when its an event that runs for a few weeks with a few ghosts?  Thanksgiving got almost nothing.  Valentines is early spring, how long do you run it and with what effects aside from a mission?  Rikti invasion all over paragon way back was a 1 time event, now I don't even know if something else happens and Mothership isn't what I am talking about.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

3 hours ago, Acroyear said:

The Devs should not have removed the snow from Atlas Park. It is still Winter.

5 hours ago, 1gecko said:

... but it is STILL very much winter! LOL!!

Ask my achy knees and back...

I totally understand ending the mission part, but the rest was nice - much more immersive.

What if i told ya'll that the world isn't flat and just because it's Winter in one part of the world, that doesn't mean it's Winter all around the world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fortuneteller said:

What if i told ya'll that the world isn't flat and just because it's Winter in one part of the world, that doesn't mean it's Winter all around the world.

But it's 0C/32F in Rhode Island. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fortuneteller said:

Mind.

BLOWN.

But yeah, I was hoping the snow and such would last for at least half way through January.  I'm glad I took the time to slide about a bit on the lake in Atlas last time I was on.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

4 hours ago, Fortuneteller said:

Sadly with the internet .. belief in flat earth is actually on the rise .. 

2 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

yeah to my great horror the internet has been a tremendous boon to all sorts of bizarre conspiracy theories

The information Era ... 

And this classic gaming reference .. 

"Your investments in Artificial Dumbness have paid off ... "

• Haha 1

I was sad to see the winter wonderland in Atlas Park revert back as well, but then I just remembered that Null the Gull can send you to a wintery zone so I can go get my ice sliding fix there if I need to.

To those responding about it not being Winter EVERYWHERE / Some parts of the world / Etc.:

1) yes, we all know this - however as has been noted many times, Paragon City is in RI, U.S.A.  

2) considering that there is over 2x the area of inhabited landmass (and NINETY percent of the world's population) in the Northern Hemisphere AND that Paragon City is *located* in the Northern Hemisphere - where it is Winter; pointing out that it isn't winter everywhere as a valid reason for removing the depiction of winter from Paragon is just trolling.

Seasons changing in the game are a strong part of the immersive experience - even though this particular game takes place in an 'alternate' Earth where Superheroes are possible.  I enjoyed the Autumn coloration changes too... and it would seriously cool if they added Spring instead of just transitioning straight to Summer.  It is just another cool detail that makes this game great and I don't like the downplaying/shortchanging of it.

• Like 1

If we’re going for realism, I’m more concerned that the City of Heroes Earth is rotating so quickly that everything on the surface would be hurled into space by centripetal force.

For the sake of avoiding global Armageddon, I would like the day/night cycle slowed down to 90 minutes per cycle (one rotation every 84 minutes being sufficient for a resting object to reach escape velocity at the equator). You’d still have near weightlessness at the equator, but at least it wouldn’t be throwing our atmosphere and oceans into the void.

No wonder we have to have War Walls; they’re the only thing holding the atmosphere in and possibly providing artificial gravity... though still less than 1G as evidenced by how high even out of shape civilians can jump.

Yes, the above is a joke (sort of... the bit about the orbital rotation required to cancel gravity via centripetal force is actually true and might make a good super-villain plot in some future arc), but it does point out the notion that some of the game mechanics are just unrealistic for the sake of playability.

Personally, before even seasons, I’d like to see them add rain. We know the art assets for rain exist from the Who Will Die? story arc. We also know that weather effects like falling snow can be attached to players so it’s appearing to rain all around them.

Throw in an overcast sky and you could have zone wide rain showers periodically (and we know the sky/lighting can be changed due to its use for zone events like the Rikti/Zombie invasions).

Standard Code Rant applies, but I think something like rain would be far more possible to implement than expanding the snowy/frozen areas game wide.

Realism:

Face it, CoX was designed by people living in California.  Winter is something that that happens to other people.  We only get snow for exactly two weeks right around Christmas, and only shop windows.  It can be easily tidied up over a weekend and put away for next year. All alien planets look exactly like Southern California chaparral, and all seasons consist of mostly nice with only occasional rain.