Dark Affinity - Soul Absorption slotting

Achilles6

I've used healing sets in it, prev medicine to get the 8% recharge bonus as well using recovery sets to get a really big boost that way but my current build has a full set of Numi placed in it for the range defense and with the proc it aids with recovery.

Edited by DocMidknight

5 slot it. Do 3 of Numina's (Heal, Heal/Recharge, Heal/Endurance/Recharge)  and then slot 2 Efficacy Adaptors (End/Recharge, End/Acc/Recharge) You don't 'have' to +5 those but it helps tremendously. At +5 the values are red for Heal and Recharge, which are the most important values in Soul Absorption, then 60% for End mod which is plenty in a well slotted build.

Ahhhh …. I think the power needs some accuracy too, it's not autohit. The difference between only hitting 1 mob and hitting several is noticeable. I've been doing half and half between heal and end mod. I'm still trying to figure out what works best for my build. I don't think the controller community has actually come up with a best practice for this yet.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

It does miss here and there but usually gets the majority of the mobs. As for best practices I think it comes down to what works for your build, while Numina set works perfectly for my ill/dark my dark/dark burns through endurance at a higher rate so a split works better for him

Edited by DocMidknight

I used the Accuracy from the End Mod sets to get Accuracy in there. 2xAcc/Rech/End Mod, 2-3x Heal/Rech depending on global Recharge bonuses. With good Accuracy, Tactics, and/or Kismet, you could also put 5xPanacea and only 1 Acc/Rech/End Mod. And if you don't try to solo AVs, where you only have one target to hit, you can forego slotting for Accuracy since you'll hit SOMETHING and get the Recovery that you need, and just worry about Healing and Recharge.

I tend to put 5-6 slots in this. Efficacy End/Acc, End/Rech. Perf Shift End/Acc, End/Rech. And then 1 or 2 from a heal set like Preventive...Heal/Rech and a Heal.

Edited by Ice_Warden

A bunch of toons. Global DocRanger

All on Excelsior. 

3 hours ago, Achilles6 said:

Interesting about Acc. I see in Mid's you can slot an Acc IO, but I don't see that you can use an Accurate Healing set. Strange.

I noticed that too and was meaning to check when I was home and could get in game. If that is the case I think it needs to be submitted to the devs as a bug/irregularity.

I agree it doesn't need a lot, and possibly set bonuses are enough in some builds, but I too use endmod set pieces with some acc in them usually.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

• 1 month later

I 6slot it. 2 Preventative Med for heal/Rech, 3 Performance shifter for Acc/End Mod/Rech, 1 -to hit Neg Energy Proc. It never misses and does PBAoE -energy damage every 45 seconds. Procs like a champ! It’ll max my Regen and Recovery with 7 targets. Hitting 1 or 2 is plenty to never need endurance... 7+ targets and I’ll tank 3 mobs of 54s 8man spawn. Such a great power once it’s permanent...

Edited by Ruby Rocket
  • Like 1

Scrappers ...bringing more cowbell since 2004

Its tempting to slot for end mod but unless you have real endurance problems without soul absorption, the default is usually enough. I'd concentrate on the regen and recharge. Also any procs.

It doesn't take accurate healing sets, but it does take accurate to-hit debuff sets. Go figure!

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

Just in case this point hasn't been clarified, this is my understanding of it. Soul Absorption auto-hits defeated enemies within its radius. No accuracy check whatsoever.  A bit cheekily, it also shows the proc damage from the Cloud Senses set hitting nearly every already defeated enemy.

Only enemies still conscious when it fires off will trigger the Accuracy check - for the team regen and recovery, the to-hit debuff, and any procs you might have in the power.

@dungeoness and @eloora on Excelsior

<Federation of United Cosmic Knights>

• 2 months later

I put 6 Preventive Medicine in it for the set bonuses and fairly good enhancement values. Since you can only get one full set of that I put it in Soul Absorption cause it didn't really need ACC, I put 5 Panacea in Twilight healing so I have room for an ACC slot. I know you didn't ask about Twilight healing, but that is the other main heal power you would be slotting with a heal set, so I wanted to comment on it as well.

i 6 slot  with the numinas proc and 5 panaceas including the panacea proc...gets two mandatory procs and 7.5% recharge, with a multitude of testing you do not need to slot any end mod into it to achieve high numbers of recovery.  as far as accuracy i usually get my accuracy from tactics and kismet unique

for twilight, i use touch of the nictus acc/heal/absorb and 5 slots panacea (no proc because it is unique) for another 7.5% recharge 

Edited by Chrome

So odd to see all the different slotting methods for a couple of powers 😉

Here's my take after playing /DA on several controllers. 

Typically in a /DA build you are hunting some recharge for perma Fade. 

I slot Twilight Grasp with 2 Touch of the Nictus (1 Acc/Heal, 1 Dmg Proc) and 4 Cloud Senses ( which includes another Dmg Proc and the set of 4 gives 6.25% Rech).

For Soul Absorption I will tell you that slotting for Acc is useless. Please don't think you need to do this. It hits everything no matter what.

For slotting...if I have plenty of slots left I will 6 slot it with: 2 Efficacy (End, End/Rech), 2 Perf Shift (End, End/Rech) and 2 of your favorite Heal Set (Heal, Heal/Rech). 

If I need to steal slots I will pull the EndMods from Efficacy first, then Perf Shift. If I absolutely have to steal another then I will take the Heal. Minimum slotting for me is Efficacy End/Rech. Perf Shift End/Rech and a Heal/Rech.

The key is to max the recharge. Perma soul absorption and Fade will make your party unkillable...as long as they hang out near you 😉

Edited by Doc Ranger
  • Like 1

A bunch of toons. Global DocRanger

All on Excelsior. 

• 2 weeks later
On 6/4/2020 at 9:41 AM, Doc Ranger said:

So odd to see all the different slotting methods for a couple of powers 😉

Here's my take after playing /DA on several controllers. 

Typically in a /DA build you are hunting some recharge for perma Fade. 

I slot Twilight Grasp with 2 Touch of the Nictus (1 Acc/Heal, 1 Dmg Proc) and 4 Cloud Senses ( which includes another Dmg Proc and the set of 4 gives 6.25% Rech).

For Soul Absorption I will tell you that slotting for Acc is useless. Please don't think you need to do this. It hits everything no matter what.

For slotting...if I have plenty of slots left I will 6 slot it with: 2 Efficacy (End, End/Rech), 2 Perf Shift (End, End/Rech) and 2 of your favorite Heal Set (Heal, Heal/Rech). 

If I need to steal slots I will pull the EndMods from Efficacy first, then Perf Shift. If I absolutely have to steal another then I will take the Heal. Minimum slotting for me is Efficacy End/Rech. Perf Shift End/Rech and a Heal/Rech.

The key is to max the recharge. Perma soul absorption and Fade will make your party unkillable...as long as they hang out near you 😉

It's definitely a key power. As long as 4-5 slots are being used for it, it's hard to go wrong. I prefer to have my Heal values in the red, and am perfectly fine with End Mod being 80ish%. Most of my builds have enough recharge to get it perma with around 89% Recharge value. I haven't dusted off my Fire/Dark Controller in ages.. But I have a new build that still gets over 45% Def to all positions even with the Fade not being affected by  the +special nerf. So maybe I'll do that soon!

Edited by Camel