Too many powers!

Tonio

One thing I've noticed with Blasters is that I end up with a LOT of non-toggle powers on my bar, especially compared to other ATs.  On other ATs, I'm usually running a couple of toggles (which don't really require my attention, unless they're offensive toggles which can drop if I'm mezzed, or anchored offensive toggles, which I only usually need to manage between packs), with a relatively manageable amount of non-toggles (attacks, etc.).

Is it just coincidence (I just picked powerset combinations that work like this for my Blasters)?  If not, how do people usually manage this?  Ignore some of the less performant powers, and focus on the best ones?  I guess if I get enough recharge reduction, I'd end up using fewer of my attacks. Tray switching? Like, put all your ST attacks in one tray, the AoE ones in another, and switch between those as needed?  Hunt-and-peck with mouse clicks?

I have the left 3-4 powers in each of trays 1 and 2 for ST and AOE rotations, with ` as the trigger for attacks I use in both such as BR's Piercing Beam.

Tray 3 is set for popup, with all the toggles (like maneuvers, assault, targeting your sustain, tough, weave, your patron armor if it's not Munitions...)

I set two more for mouse-hunting on the side of the screen where they don't get in the way: these contain the various travel powers and stuff like Ouroboros or Mission Teleporter as well as any temporaries/revives/etc.

Back up on the first two trays I do have a handful that are more of a mouse-click thing as well; notably things like Surveillance, the Hybrid's activation and patron summons or LRM or the such; things you generally don't pop once in combat.

On 1/21/2020 at 3:19 PM, Tonio said:

One thing I've noticed with Blasters is that I end up with a LOT of non-toggle powers on my bar, especially compared to other ATs.  On other ATs, I'm usually running a couple of toggles (which don't really require my attention, unless they're offensive toggles which can drop if I'm mezzed, or anchored offensive toggles, which I only usually need to manage between packs), with a relatively manageable amount of non-toggles (attacks, etc.).

Is it just coincidence (I just picked powerset combinations that work like this for my Blasters)?  If not, how do people usually manage this?  Ignore some of the less performant powers, and focus on the best ones?  I guess if I get enough recharge reduction, I'd end up using fewer of my attacks. Tray switching? Like, put all your ST attacks in one tray, the AoE ones in another, and switch between those as needed?  Hunt-and-peck with mouse clicks?

I think many characters have many powers that can be used.  I have been able to manage it by buying a MMO mouse and MMO keyboard that have extra keys keys.  My set-up, which I use on every character is as follows:

• Tray 1 is all my travel powers and click powers that are not attacks (build up, heals, stamina recovery, Hasten, etc.).  I align these powers to my MMO Keyboard (keys M1 through M10).
  • Tray 2 is all my secondary attack powers.  For Blasters this will usually be 3 to 5 powers plus my Incarnate attack power aligned to my MMO Mouse (I can assign powers from 1 to 10, but only usually go to 5 or 6 because it is harder to reach keys 7 through 10)
  • Tray 3 is my primary powers and operate with the normal 1 through 10 number keys.
    • I generally place the powers in order of my attack chain -or-
    • I place the powers as single target attacks, then place my AoE attacks, and finally my Mez attacks.
  • Tray 4 is my quick travel powers and buff powers like Mutation and Mystic Fortune.  I just click these with my mouse.
  • Tray 5 is my resurrect powers, teleport (TT, ATT) powers, and powers like the invention table and reveal.  I just click these with my mouse.
  • Tray 6 is my toggle powers. I just click these on / off with my mouse when needed.
  • Tray 7 is my pet powers. I just click these with my mouse.
  • Tray 8 is my temp powers or other powers like Void Skiff. I just click these with my mouse.

This works for me because many of the powers overlap with characters, so I am able to use the same set-up for everyone.  I use the following:

Razer Anansi MMO Gaming Keyboard

Razer Naga Chroma - Ergonomic RGB MMO Gaming Mouse

• Like 1

I don't think I expressed myself properly, although I do thank you for your replies and suggestions!

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that Blasters have more useful powers for a given situation than other ATs.  Other ATs have primary and secondary powersets that fill different roles (defense and damage, for tankers, control and support, for controllers, damage and support, for corruptors, etc.), so at any point in time, they'll basically pick from half their pool of powers, while Blasters have most of their pool of powers to pick from.

I created an Ice Blast/Tactical Arrow and got nearly all of my Primary/Secondary powers to experiment with them and was overwhelmed by how many offensive powers I had available!?

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

Electric Net Arrow is half of your "when-mezzed" 1-2 punch. It's a decent enough DoT but unlike most secondary starters actually has full range instead of 50 or 60ft.

Glue Arrow you'll probably be tossing out early for obvious reasons.

But. Upshot's something you can put a little further off, it's certainly not integrated into your rotation - you time when you pop it (or just click it immediately as you're about to begin your opening volley)

Flash Arrow lasts a minute, doesn't aggro. You can cover everyone before the fight even starts, so you can set it off somewhere safe as a clicky.

Eagle Eye and Gymnastics are main toggles, you set them and never worry about the button again until you die or exemplar down too much, and need to activate again.

Agility's a passive.

Which leaves us with ESD, which you can put alongside your heaviest long recharge abilities like your nuke.

If you think of it that way, three of the set's powers don't even need to be on a commonly-visible bar; you can put'em with other "set it and forget it" toggles on whatever bar is raised for you while you're holding CTRL, two of them merely need to be readily accessible somewhere and not bound to a key at-hand so to speak.

Blasters tend to have more attacks than any other AT since both primary and secondary are attack sets.  On my blasters I tend to set things up like this:  (By the way, I use a Razor Nostromo gamepad with 3 rows of 5 keys under my fingers, that's why the layout of tray 1 may seem strange... I map the first two rows to tray 1 slot 1-10)

Tray 1 - slots 1-5 will be my single target attacks as a general rule, with the snipe in #5.  Slot 6 is my travel power.  Slot 7 & 9 will generally be secondary melee attacks I commonly use.  Slot 8 will be my main AOE and 10 is an open slot for whatever other attack I need quick access to, frequently a mez from the APP.

Tray 2 - this one is situational and frequently has powers I use via mouse binds so I can monitor recharge.  Aim/Buildup are usually mouse button 4 & 5, my nuke will be here and bound to one of the third row keys on my gamepad and the others will be various powers I need occasionally.  Hasten lives on this row as well.

Tray 3 - this one is full of all my toggles and long recharge buffs.

Tray 4 - this one is all my teleport powers, O-portal, mission TP, team TP, recall team, base TP, pocket D etc.

Tray 5 - this one is mainly for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere like Incarnate powers and whatnot.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

Interesting observation that I've never considered before, but you're right, blasters do have more attacks to choose from.  I'm a clicker, so I have three trays open in the bottom right of the screen and just click the powers I need when I need 'em.  I use them all, so it's more about how you plan your attack chain and mitigation.  I group my attacks/mitigation to the left and then have other powers I use all the time on the right in these three trays.

For example, I don't keep any toggles in these three trays (i.e. leadership pool, frigid protection, ice armor, auto hasten--the last is not really a toggle, but on auto, I just set it and forget it like a toggle). I have them in a vertical tray on the far right of my screen.  Then I keep my main attacks, immob, and holds (i.e. Ice Blast, Chilblain, Freeze Ray, etc.) in tray 1, mitigation/cone (i.e. Shiver, Frost Breath, etc.) in tray 2, aim and build up in tray 3--I also have ice patch here and Blizzard, so they are all grouped to the left of the trays and easily accessible. To the right of these three trays, I keep travel, ouro, self rez, and whatever day job powers I might have that I'm likely to use in a fight (like heal ally). 

It sounds more complicated than it plays, though, so ymmv.

• Thanks 1

I totally get where you are coming from. I only have a couple blasters, and only one I play with any regularity, and this is partly why. To me, it seems like there are so many redundant attacks. With enough recharge, you can easily cycle 3-4 main attacks. My solution on my main blaster was to take /TA as my secondary. It has 2 toggles and 1 auto, reducing the number of clickies I need to choose from. In other blasters, I tend to focus on either ranged or melee. If I am going blapper, I skip a few of the redundant ranged attacks. If I am going blaster, I skip most or all of the melee attacks. I'll fill in some Pool powers, instead. Leadership and/or Fighting Pools are good . Summon Teammate is a power that will make you popular with teammates, and you don't need to burn any enhancements on it for it to be useful.

Also, depending on the powerset combinations you take, you can have more options than just damage. You can do damage+controllish or damage+debuffish. I play my BR/TA as a blastroller. She has some good controls, so I set up my trays similar to the way I set up my dominators. So, that could be an option.

• Thanks 1