What To Pair With Regen?

Harlequin565

My Savage/Regen Brute is getting deleted as I'm not enjoying Savage at all. But I've always wanted to push Regen to the limit. So has anyone got any suggestions that aren't on this list?

Savage/Regen: Feels clunky

Claws/Regen: Ran this to late 30s. Don't like the flippety later powers.

Dark, BS, Electric, Rad, Spines and SJ are all primaries I'm running on other characters so would be good to avoid those unless there's a strong reason not to.

I don't like combos that much

I'm leaning to Scrapper rather than Brute but don't really have a preference. I only have one of each of these so it would be good to do this instead of Tank or Stalker as I've got a few of each of those.

Suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!

• Ice - pairs well with regen due to the -rech to slow the rate of incoming damage
  • Dark - pairs well since it has another self heal built in (but the animations are a bit long)
  • Martial Arts - No real synergy other than fast animations (outside of Eagle Claw), Dragon Tail knockdown is nice
  • War Mace - Very strong ST, good AoE and a bag full of KD/KU (3-4 powers i think cause knockdown/knock up) which is nice for regen
  • Katana - Fast, +def in attack chain (not much else)

Theres probably a bucket full more examples but these are the ones that came too mind

What, no one had love for Titan Weapons? I love my TW/Regen!

Whatever anyone says to the contrary, it's a blast.

But, consider War Mace, you'd probably find it less stressful while still being loaded with SMASH.

The best pairing to Regen I played on Live was Broadsword due to the way Parry boosts the durability rather dramatically.  Katana would be another good choice for the same reason.

Regen's biggest drawback is that it's squishy.  Getting significant amounts of melee defense makes a big difference and opens up more options for IO bonuses since you don't need to build Melee defense.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

The best pairing to Regen I played on Live was Broadsword due to the way Parry boosts the durability rather dramatically.  Katana would be another good choice for the same reason.

Regen's biggest drawback is that it's squishy.  Getting significant amounts of melee defense makes a big difference and opens up more options for IO bonuses since you don't need to build Melee defense.

More to the point, Regen is terrible at handling burst damage outside of MoG. If you eat too much burst damage at once, it'll cut right through IH, as it only helps after you've taken damage, at which point it can be too late. It means it's also fairly sensitive to animation times. The longer the animations, the greater the chance you'll be stuck in an animation when you need to click a power to save yourself.

On Live, Broadsword and Katana helped by breaking up burst damage with defense. The downside was that you had to deal with redraw after using any of Regen's clicks. So it helped, but there was some synergy problems due to this. Granted, I believe No Redraw is an option for both Broadsword and Katana on Homecoming, so that's not as much of an issue here.

Any primary that can mitigate or breakup incoming damage will help a lot. Earlier Dark Melee was brought up for Drain Life (it's far more potent on mitigation heavy secondaries that lack self eahling), but I think the more important aspect of Dark Melee would be the tohit debuffs and Touch of Fear. ToF has a strong tohit debuff and double stacks out of the box to fear bosses. This can either take them out of a fight while you kill other enemies, or be used to throttle a boss's attack rate. If Stone Melee even came to Scrappers, I think it would be a good candidate for Regen with all it's knockdowns, stun, and hold power.

23 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

What, no one had love for Titan Weapons? I love my TW/Regen!

I recently remade my first main from Live (BS/Regen) as a TW/Regen, as it suited her concept better, was a set I haven't tried yet, and has better performance. Some things I've noticed:

* Does not have a No Redraw option

* While Momentum is active, there is no redraw anyways

* Defensive Sweep's smashing defense doesn't feel as good as Parry's lethal defense - as it doesn't help against bullets

* I'm still pretty low level, but I think all the knockdown is going to play a significant role in survivability

I'll just have to see how well it works in the long run. :)

You could try taking your regen with a Sentinel and that opens up a ton of new primaries.
Dual pistols is like a scrapper because so many attacks are pbaoe or cone. Plain ammo does knockdown.

Lots of other fun primaries.

Just kidding, roll with war mace or battle ace depending on your character preference. Scrapper 4 life.

1 hour ago, Sarrate said:

More to the point, Regen is terrible at handling burst damage outside of MoG.

I feel that statement can only be made in a vacuum of Regeneration exclusive to anything but itself.

While my TW/Regen build is slightly tweaked from the build I ran on Retail (has a bit more Resistance, forgoes Spiritual), in no way, shape, nor form have I ever felt like any situation I've walked into was inevitably going to kill me. In fact, just as I did on Retail, I find that 75% of my time playing the character I'm not actively engaged in half of my mitigation tools in the first place. I typically try and remember to keep Dull Pain always applied, I rarely use Reconstruction (in fact I hit it accidentally far more than purposefully), and I've got access to Shadow Meld and Moment of Glory and Instant Healing, and I rarely hit IH, let alone all three in cycle. I have the recharge capable in my build to SM > MoG > SM (15/s gap to repeat), on top of the ability to pop IH at any point in there. Oh, and I don't even use Defensive Sweep at all.

IO's do a lot to aggressively change what Regen can wade through. I could soft cap some defenses, or extremely pad up specific resistances, I chose to go middle of the road on both and utilize additional tools. Throw in some meandering occasional team buffs and ... I completely avoid using anything but the passive portion of my secondary altogether.

Yes that character has fallen a few times, but they were not at fault of Regen or any preconceived lack of capacity in the power set itself, but within myself as a player failing to anticipate--or otherwise respond to--a situation correctly.

Thanks guys. I ended up with Katana because of +def and because I've not really done anything with Katana.

Not a big fan of TW mainly because I don't get the momentum mechanic. Have a Broadsword scrapper and don't want to get locked into the long animations, and have a DM Brute. WM and BA I discounted for similar reasons, and because I'm not keen on the animations. I tend to go to 50, then T4 incarnates which takes a while so I really have to enjoy a build to do that. Mace and Axe lack any oomph in the wow department. I know. I'm shallow.

I do have 2 DP toons though. DP/Martial blaster and DP/Rad Corruptor. I really like those pistols. DP/Regen sounds like just the ticket for a Sentinel - esp as it's the only AT I haven't tried yet...

• Like 1

What, no love for the classic Claws/Regen scrapper? Endurance for days pairs nicely with fast and cheap (endurance wise) attacks. Focus and Shockwave can provide some nice mitigation via knockdown/back while also adding some ranged punch. And come on, it's a classic for a reason.

20 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

I feel that statement can only be made in a vacuum of Regeneration exclusive to anything but itself.

Yep, and that was the intent of that statement. A character is built off the scaffolding of their primary and secondary. Since the secondary is fixed in this case (Regen), what can we say about it as a whole? One of its Achilles Heels is burst damage. How you attempt to mitigate that depends on the build.

You could build for recharge to get clicks recharging faster.

You could build for defense to reduce the chance you'll eat two big hits in a row.

Now you could build for additional resistance to reduce the severity of burst damage.

Etc.

It'd be like taking Invuln and building around psi mitigation. You can do it, but that doesn't mean Invuln doesn't have a psi hole - it's still there, just been plugged by other means.

With the power creep that exists, you can make things work that weren't possible the last time I played Regen, so I can't speak to where Regen's performance tops out at compared to other sets.

11 minutes ago, Sarrate said:

Yep, and that was the intent of that statement.

I try very carefully to keep that mindful for others when they're reading about Regen. There's so many that have an unfortunate taste for the set because of early experiences that many don't make the effort to see what it can really be built in to.

The ultimate thing I've ever learned about Regen comes down to one simple factor: the player must be present. And I agree that scaffolding is key to making something positive out of Regen to get it to a level capable of rising to the top. It is strangely both a difficult set to master, and also one that can become one of the most casual/leisurely played sets too.

3 hours ago, Sarrate said:

You could build for recharge to get clicks recharging faster.

You could build for defense to reduce the chance you'll eat two big hits in a row.

Now you could build for additional resistance to reduce the severity of burst damage.

Etc.

Recharge is the key. Avoiding slow animation attacks is a pro tip (credit @Sarrateearlier in the thread).

Boost that regen % however possible.

These are nice to haves:

• If there is a way to avoid getting hit (-to hit, stuns, knockdown) that will help.
  • If there is a way to soften blows (resist) that can help.

Sprinkle in some 'pay attention' and a regen is ready to go toe to toe with just about anything.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, Troo said:

Sprinkle in some 'pay attention' and a regen is ready to go toe to toe with just about anything.

Except maybe a /poison mastermind who uses Bodyguard, has Heal Other, and has Heal Self. All that -def, -res, and -regen is painful. I remember easily beating invuln tanks and regen scrappers in Siren's Call and Bloody Bay.

22 hours ago, Harlequin565 said:

Thanks guys. I ended up with Katana because of +def and because I've not really done anything with Katana.

Not a big fan of TW mainly because I don't get the momentum mechanic. Have a Broadsword scrapper and don't want to get locked into the long animations, and have a DM Brute. WM and BA I discounted for similar reasons, and because I'm not keen on the animations. I tend to go to 50, then T4 incarnates which takes a while so I really have to enjoy a build to do that. Mace and Axe lack any oomph in the wow department. I know. I'm shallow.

I do have 2 DP toons though. DP/Martial blaster and DP/Rad Corruptor. I really like those pistols. DP/Regen sounds like just the ticket for a Sentinel - esp as it's the only AT I haven't tried yet...

Hmm, as if I didn't already have enough characters I'm suddenly curious about a Kat/Regen.  I've played Regen to 50 5 times, 4 with a scrapper on Live and once here on a Stalker but I've never played Katana.  Ok, Broadsword twice so I pretty well know the set but Kat's a bit different.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler