Power Customization load bug

Allekto

On two of my characters, I can save power customizations to files but when I try to load the files the names don't show up on the list.  Customizations for other characters show up on the load list.  Costume saves still show up fine for all my characters, including these two.  But for some reason on these two characters no matter what name I save the power customization file, it will not show up on the load list.  The files are saved with all the others in the Documents/City of Heroes/PowerCust folder.  One of the two characters is level 50 and I know I was able to load power customizations on her in the past.

This is only an issue with two characters that I've noticed so far.  On other characters it still seems to work fine.  I am at a loss as to what's happening here with these two characters.

• 2 weeks later

The same is happening to me, my main char... (tank Invulnerability/EnergyMelee) and a few random others I tested. I think it's related to all characters not specific ones.

Also the only costumes I'm unable to see now are the ones created in the beta test server, which I just used YESTERDAY and today I cannot anymore. Plus I always make my power customizations there (in the test server) at level 50 so I can customize all powers at once (including pool powers) and I'm ready for all levels in the live-servers; this is the first time I cannot pass the power custom files between beta and live (which, I repeat, I did frequently in the past, including a few days ago and yesterday).

The files are not corrupted since I can still use them in the beta test server, just not in the live server. I also tried to overwrite from the beta server an existing file created in the live one, results: it was visible before and now also that one became invisible in the live server only.

Further tests: I opened a readable file and an unreadable one in notepad++, both with the same power-sets customized, so I could easily check the lines and apparently the invisible one is slightly longer than the other, 1600+ lines vs 1504, probably some customized power more (for the rest they seem identical apart from color codes).

Edited by ThunderCAP

Now also the heroes customization is not working anymore, all the ones I saved in the test-server one hour ago are not working in the live-server (all five) and give out the following error message (and random grey character which is not the one I created) that may help you resolve the issue for all of it, including the power customization files which seem related.

1363565675_cityofheroes2020-02-1904-21-00-05.thumb.jpg.c5fd015806939bf80224c5ea33ee6f02.jpg

Edited by ThunderCAP

• Lead Game Master

As per the most recent patch notes in beta, there's been some behind-the-scenes changes designed for the costume editor - I imagine that's what is causing the costume load issues from Beta.

It might be a good idea to file that under a separate bug post, since these power customisation issues seem to have been around before said patch.

Interested in supporting Homecoming? Consider applying to become a Game Master!

Confirmed.
Out of curiosity i opened in a text editor the .powercust* files since they are in plain text, the powers' IDs are completely off and with far more digits than the original ones.
However redo the same customization through good ol' Icon and it'll work fine (except on it you can't set colors for incarnates sadly)

Something that might be related that I found today - when customising some powers, the available palette appears to have changed. I noticed it after editing a costume on my fire/devices blaster made all her secondary powers change to an apparently default pinkish shade. Upon further investigation it seems some of the powers in that set have changed their palette slightly - notably Caltrops and Smoke Grenade used to have black as an option but don't anymore. However it doesn't actually update and reset them until you view the power in the customisation screen or save and exit in the tailor. Going in and backing out again without saving doesn't change anything. And if you save a customisation file with the now invalid colours still present, it'll fail to show up when you go to load it.

Likely more notably though - Hasten has this problem when set to no FX. That being a power a great many characters have, it could explain the loading issue a lot of people are having as the older saved files contain now invalid colours which presumably causes the game to reject them outright as invalid files. And since with Hasten specifically it happens when set to no FX, the colours being reset on saving in the tailor might not be noticed. Note that after going through all my powers on that blaster and setting valid colours for the ones with the problem I was able to save a customisation and it showed up again, while saving one from the same character before doing that didn't show up. Unfortunately I didn't think to keep the invalid file for comparison before saving over it, sorry.

As to why some powers have had their palettes changed, I couldn't say. Side effect of the back end changes Korvin mentioned perhaps, though in my particular case this happened entirely on the live server.

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like "What?"

[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: STOP!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WAIT ONE SECOND!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WHAT IS A SEAGULL DOING ON MY THRONE!?!?