What year is it in paragon? (Lore)

Sakura Tenshi

On 2/8/2020 at 3:50 AM, DR_Mechano said:

Because of the fact that the devs bucked the trend (and I appreciate them for doing this) and didn't increase the level cap with Going Rogue, it meant that it shattered the fairly linear progression of the time line from 1-50 which follows your increase in power from a street thug fighting rookie hero to a cosmic threat dealing with Justice League level hero.

This is more or less what happened in WoW in 2010, when the Cataclysm expansion came out. As part of that expansion, they completely revamped the 1-60 leveling experience, and incorporated the new expansion's storyline into the leveling experience. So as you leveled 1-60, you'd come across quest lines that were directly related to the big bad dragon that was trying to destroy the world. In other words, the basic game world was now set in the same timeframe as the latest expansion.

Then, at level 60, you'd head off to Outland and play through The Burning Crusade expansion content, effectively traveling a few years back in time. At level 70 you'd move on to Wrath of the Lich King expansion content, which directly followed TBC chronologically. And finally, at level 80, you'd shift back into the "current" timeline and get back to chasing that big bad dragon you heard so much about for the first 60 levels.

It's been 10 years and four more expansions, and they still have done nothing to address this chronology problem.

On 2/7/2020 at 11:58 PM, Sakura Tenshi said:

(Also, so many characters would be aged up otherwise).

In my head, I go for the Franklin Richards explanation: somewhere in the world there is an extremely powerful reality-warping child, and they're letting time continue on whilst keeping everyone the same age.
Or something.

Edited by Dreamboat

@Hissatsuman, you can mainly find me on Everlasting!

The Coming Storm? It already came. Battalion destroyed Paragon City, and turned all the supers not just Kheldians into batteries for their space ships and plugged us into pods and now we're living in the Battalion version of The Matrix.

Each server is it's own giant mothership, so it has its own fuel of heroes and villains.

Face it we lost.

But have faith for there is a prophecy originally made by Dave from accounting, that one day the One would come to save us from our existence and reset the Battalion Matrix.

• Haha 1

I don't know how long it takes a community to vote on raising a plaque to commemorate an event, let alone fund that plaque, have it created, arrange to have it installed, then have an inevitable dedication ceremony, but there is a plaque that talks about "Eochai was defeated here on October 31 2004" so we are easily well into 2005, if not closer to 2006 for all of that to have taken place.  

Given the state of vehicles/technology in-game, I would say this is what I would expect a pre-iPhone society to look like if it were constantly Ground Zero for alien invasions, intra-dimensional warfare, attempted occult kidnappings, organized crime operating openly in the streets, gangs terrorizing citizens every 80 yards or so... and having "heroes" swoop in firing beam rifles indescriminately, firing off Novae every 37 seconds, deploying Phantom Armies and Tar Patches all over the place...

I mean, who would WANT to drive a newer car in that environment, let alone insure it?  

• Like 1

Well, which is it, young feller?  You want I should freeze or get down on the ground?
If'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop.  And if'n I drop I'll be in motion.

I don't personally conform to the idea that all in-game assets are canon.  A lot is just there as a stand-in to represent what's "really" going on.

But if you want to hold firm to the idea that we're stuck with CRTs and brick-phones, then the easiest answer is:  Nemesis owns all the patents for better technology, and refuses to allow them to be manufactured so he can maintain his technological edge with his steam.  This is why you -do- see more advanced technology in Praetoria and the Rogue Isles, where they don't care about u.s. patents.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, VileTerror said:

I don't personally conform to the idea that all in-game assets are canon.  A lot is just there as a stand-in to represent what's "really" going on.

But if you want to hold firm to the idea that we're stuck with CRTs and brick-phones, then the easiest answer is:  Nemesis owns all the patents for better technology, and refuses to allow them to be manufactured so he can maintain his technological edge with his steam.  This is why you -do- see more advanced technology in Praetoria and the Rogue Isles, where they don't care about u.s. patents.

As mentioned though we DO have Iphones and tablets since there are emotes for both being used by player characters so I'm guessing these just aren't that common. Think back when Iphones first came out and were well beyond the price range of most normal people.

I actually think Level based chronology is dumb in MMOs

Its not like everyone started on the same day and reached max level on the same day.   

So every player is an alternate timeline? 

It works good on single player games.  And those MMOs that are actually single player games  ( basically most of them now) 

• Like 1