Gaussian Fire Control :Chance for Build Up

Drake Hellspawn

I have a question. I have a bunch of procs and when they fire, I'll see something on the screen. I have yet to see anything for this particular proc. I have done some battles with basically one eye on the button and I don't see it instantly become available like I do with assassin' mark. What gives? How can I tell if it's working? Does the Global haste  change it?I have read that if you make it's recharge to fast it actually make's it less effective, and so perhaps that is why I am not getting the benefits?

Do you have Auto/always-on powers hidden? For whatever reason, the power only shows up if you can see auto powers. If that's on, you should see a bright pink icon appear.

The other way to track it would be to use the attributes panel and right click on the stats it raises (damage bonus and tohit) and track them in the little box that appears.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

21 minutes ago, Gulbasaur said:

Do you have Auto/always-on powers hidden? For whatever reason, the power only shows up if you can see auto powers. If that's on, you should see a bright pink icon appear.

The other way to track it would be to use the attributes panel and right click on the stats it raises (damage bonus and tohit) and track them in the little box that appears.

I like that idea, thanks.

I monitor +damage in combat attributes.  That's the only way I know of to see when it triggers.  I promise, it works.  But there are no "WORDS OF INDICATION" for this proc.

Note, that the way procs work, if you have it in build up (or aim) it will trigger virtually every time you use the power.  Tactics is another great place to put it because the chance to proc increases with more teammates.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

The buff icon from Guassian Chance for Build Up is the same icon as "Hasten", except it's purple on the outside, and light pink on the inside (the fist is light pink).  Look for this icon at the end of your buff bar because chances are it'll always be the last one there since it's only gonna last 5 seconds.

If you're actively tracking it, as Gulbasaur mentioned, looking at +damage, or +to-Hit is best. 

If you're actively tracking it mid-combat in a gigantic raid-wide iTrial boss battle, looking at +To-Hit is easier than +damage because there are too many team +damage buffs, and less +To-Hit being thrown around.

On 2/18/2020 at 1:28 PM, Lines said:

It's not that your build up power recharges instantly to click, like with the stalker ATO. It means you get the build up effect procedurally applied directly to you.

That's the way I figured it worked, but like the OP, I've never noticed it actually happening.

15 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

Tactics is another great place to put it because the chance to proc increases with more teammates.

Very much this, I don't think people much know about this.  IIRC, it was found that when you have it slotted in Tactics, that it has a chance to go off for you based on how many people are on your team.  Just think about that for a second: eight people on your team?  Eight chances for procing.  And I may be remembering, but I think the effect also extends to any league your on too.  How many people can fit in a league?  :)

If my build is going to have Tactics in it, it always have a Gaussian's.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

6 minutes ago, Six Six said:

Someone also told me that your pets contribute to the proc. 

And even if you yourself don't have Build Up, your teammates will surely appreciate the buff. 😃

I can't recall if that was true or not; pretty sure someone did test it though and yes, Tactics is just useful, even without a build-up.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

17 hours ago, Vulpoid said:

I have it in Tactical Training: Leadership, a  toggle on a Crab Spider, and when it Procs there is a visible pink purple glow on my pets and a crackle noise. (I think!)

That might explain why I've never noticed it on my fortunata - half of what I do has a visible pink purple glow and the constant woowoowoowoowoo from psinado and eeeeeyaaaaaw noises from pscream and wail drown anything else out. Thanks!

Like you I have it in TT:L - in teams it goes off all the time and if you've got masterminds with you it starts double-proccing quite regularly. It's basically a low-grade crit mechanic at this point. 

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

7 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Very much this, I don't think people much know about this.  IIRC, it was found that when you have it slotted in Tactics, that it has a chance to go off for you based on how many people are on your team.  Just think about that for a second: eight people on your team?  Eight chances for procing.  And I may be remembering, but I think the effect also extends to any league your on too.  How many people can fit in a league?  :)

If my build is going to have Tactics in it, it always have a Gaussian's.

6 hours ago, Six Six said:

Someone also told me that your pets contribute to the proc.

That's because Pets are buffed by Tactics, so they "count" for chances to proc.

A team of 8 Masterminds, each with 6 Pets (minimum) who stick together (so they're all in range) would be affecting 56 (friendly) $Targets ... giving 56 opportunities to proc the Gaussian's Build Up every 10 second interval ...

Of course, under those circumstances (an all Mastermind team) you'd want to have some personal attacks to boost, otherwise you're wasting the Build Up proc on yourself (only) with no damaging powers of your own to take advantage of the Build Up buff ...

On 8/2/2019 at 11:21 PM, Redlynne said:

Tactics    
Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff
Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Recharge
Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Recharge/Endurance
Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Recharge/Endurance
Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Endurance
Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance for Build Up

Set Bonuses: Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control
(Tactics)
7.5% SpeedJumping, 7.5% JumpHeight, 7.5% SpeedFlying, 7.5% SpeedRunning
19.08 HP (1.88%) HitPoints
2.5% (0.04 End/sec) Recovery
2.5% DamageBuff(All)
2.5% Defense(Melee), 1.25% Defense(Lethal), 1.25% Defense(Smashing), 2.5% Defense(Ranged), 1.25% Defense(Energy), 1.25% Defense(Negative), 2.5% Defense(AoE), 1.25% Defense(Fire), 1.25% Defense(Cold)

Using Level 27+21 Proc IOs:
Endurance Discount: 58.98%
Recharge Time: 58.98%
ToHit: 52.89%

Using Level 50+21 Proc IOs:
Endurance Discount: 73.78% (Pre-ED: 74.20%)
Recharge Time:  73.78% (Pre-ED: 74.20%)
ToHit: 57.52% (Pre-ED: 70.13%)

Prob = PPM x ActivatePeriod / (60 x AreaMod)
AreaMod = 1 + Radius x (11 x Arc + 540) / 40,000

Gaussians proc PPM = 1
Minimum probability is confirmed at 5% + PPM x 1.5% = 6.5%
Radius: 60
Activation period: 2s for Tactics, but the activation period used in a toggle is set to 10s
Max Targets: 255

PPM * ActivatePeriod / (60 * (1 + Radius * (11 * Arc + 540) / 40000))
1 * 10 / (60 * (1 + 60 * (11 * 360 + 540) / 40000))
= 2.15% (!)

Due to minimum proc chance clamping, the chance to proc Gaussian's in Tactics is 6.5% every 10 seconds.

With 6 chances to proc every minute this results in a 1 - (1 - 0.065)^6 = 33.18% chance to proc (at least) once per minute.

Congratulations!
By putting a 1 PPM proc into Tactics you've turned it into what amounts to a 1 PP3M …!!

This then explains why a PPM governed Tactics is kind of terrible(!) … for a soloist.

I'm reasonably sure that when Gaussian's procs, it only buffs the caster and doesn't proc "for" every Ally within the radius.

However, this brings up the intriguing prospect that Gaussian's proc might receive 1 proc chance per Ally within 60 ft of the caster, which then benefits the caster if it does proc (limit 1 proc per 10 seconds, so it doesn't stack).  In that case you're looking at the following matrix of possibilities …

Team-1: 1 - (1 - 0.065)^1 = 06.5% chance to proc every 10 seconds
Team-2: 1 - (1 - 0.065)^2 = 12.5% chance to proc every 10 seconds
Team-3: 1 - (1 - 0.065)^3 = 18.2% chance to proc every 10 seconds
Team-4: 1 - (1 - 0.065)^4 = 23.5% chance to proc every 10 seconds
Team-5: 1 - (1 - 0.065)^5 = 28.5% chance to proc every 10 seconds
Team-6: 1 - (1 - 0.065)^6 = 33.1% chance to proc every 10 seconds
Team-7: 1 - (1 - 0.065)^7 = 37.5% chance to proc every 10 seconds
Team-8: 1 - (1 - 0.065)^8 = 41.5% chance to proc every 10 seconds

League-16: 1 - (1 - 0.065)^16 = 65.8% chance to proc every 10 seconds
League-24: 1 - (1 - 0.065)^24 = 80.0% chance to proc every 10 seconds
League-32: 1 - (1 - 0.065)^32 = 88.3% chance to proc every 10 seconds
League-34: 1 - (1 - 0.065)^34 = 89.8% chance to proc every 10 seconds

League-35: 1 - (1 - 0.065)^35 = 90.0% (90.4%) chance to proc every 10 seconds

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Can someone else with with Gaussian in Tactics confirm for me that they see a purple crackle effect on their pets and team mates when the proc fist icon appears in their personal buffs? 
I swear it is happening for me, but I don't want to spread misinformation if the visual I am seeing is being produced by something else.
Summon all your pets and just sit and watch for 30 seconds or so.
It looks like purple electricity crackling on affected allies and the fist icon shows up simultaneously in my buff bar.
I will try to get a screenshot this weekend, so if it is something else, some one can tell me!

There it is, thanks Redlynne.

Go have fun!