Sonic Attack and disproportional global cooldown lockouts from it's abilities.

Vulgaris

This applies to more than just blasters as well but this seemed like the best place to bring it up, even though every AT that shares the power set has the burden of this somewhat annoying issue.
Sonic Attack has a weird, overly harsh global cooldown and animation time lockout across the majority of the power set. IE: You activate or chain together powers- They come out glacially slowly after a previous sonic power was used and lock you out of activating other powers, using inspirations, etc.. for a really disproportional amount of time compared to their cast times and effects.

Even your fastest move shriek which shares the same cast time as neutrino bolt from the radiation blast tree on paper and mids has a beefy global cooldown lockout time associated with it. The entire set despite any listed cast times feels far far slower as a result as you spend a disproportionally high amount of your playtime locked in an animation winddown or GCD state. I've actually died a few more times than usual as a result of it when  because you have to entirely stop what you are doing to use inspirations and can't "weave" usages of them or other abilities in like you can with some other primaries. This is probably nightmarish as a defender.

It's a bit ridiculous when I can followup faster with another power immediately afterwards from say- stone mallet as a tanker or brute, than the basic fast recharge first attack in the sonic attack primary.
If you're not sure exactly what I mean by global cooldown- Make a sonic attack character and fire off shriek on a target and que up a brawl or another power right after while in range- Then try energy or fire or radiation for examples and do the same with their first basic attack.  Sonic has a glacially slow winddown and lockout time for using powers by comparison. I realize the -res debuff can be very nice, but you can't even really fully utilize it yourself or keep it up as consistently as you might expect given the slow GCD between chaining powers.

TL;DR Sonic doesn't feel right because it's too bogged down with wind down animations and GCDs.

Interesting- Let me actually run that by and test and I'll come back with an edit on this post if it makes the difference.

Edit: YEP. That was certainly the problem- Like night and day difference.

Edited by Vulgaris

On 3/3/2020 at 12:10 AM, nihilii said:

Do you use the alternate animations, with hands? There's a new bug with the cast time for these animations being much longer than it should be. Switch to the default "mouth" animation and you should be good.

I'm glad I saw this since I rolled a Sonic Sent and noticed the huge delays as well.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2020 at 10:50 AM, Sovera said:

I'm glad I saw this since I rolled a Sonic Sent and noticed the huge delays as well.

Yeah I was going absolutely bonkers crazy and glad someone corrected me. I KNEW something felt off.

On 3/2/2020 at 4:10 PM, nihilii said:

Do you use the alternate animations, with hands? There's a new bug with the cast time for these animations being much longer than it should be. Switch to the default "mouth" animation and you should be good.

As I recall, there are two places to specify a duration. One is the power's cast time (what you see in the detailed info / Mids). The other is in the animation's rooted duration.

If a power's cast time is greater than the rooted time, then you'll be unable to cast powers in that gap, but you will be able to move.

If a power's rooted time is greater than the case time, then you're not doing anything until the rooted duration is over, no matter what the cast time says.

I'm assuming that they're reusing animations with a longer root time than the mouth animations.