*Request* Selling Incarnate Salvage

Joshex

when it costs 100 mil to make a very rare incarnate salvage money in the game gets scarce. there are things to sell to eventually get that much, and yeah there's empyrean merits and such. but why not have shops buy it for reduced prices? or have incarnate contacts buy incarnate salvage? reason being is, maybe some one is trying to slot their toon whilst doing the incarnate process or after the incarnate process?

we'd just need a list of likely costs to make each component.

we still wouldn't be able to trade them so the auction house wouldn't be compromised, but we'd be able to sell them for something.

request retracted, super insps allow you to convert outside incarnate components. thanks again to the many people who took the time to explain that in this thread.

Edited by Joshex
Retracting a useless request

The inflation shock from this would be unavoidable and undesirable. I sternly suggest NOT embarking down this path.

Additionally, you never need to spend 100,000,000 for incarnates, everything you need to craft is given to you for regular game play.

I have been sending shots in the dark to address this...

The concept that people have billions of influence or even millions is truly a bad assumption. Those who do are a true minority, and are true masters of the game in many aspects. Yet because there are a few masters it really does not justify hurting the majority of the players, who just want to have fun and feel as super as they can be.

In a previous thread I calculated the value of salvage based on what it takes to make them.

Conversion: 1 Empyrean = 20 Threads

Common Salvage - 20 Threads = 1 Empyrean Merit

Uncommon Salvage - 60 Threads = 3 Empyrean Merits

Rare Salvage - No pure Thread conversion, yet acquirable for = 8 Empyrean Merits

Very Rare Salvage - No pure Thread conversion, yet acquirable for = 30 Empyrean Merits

Using the above

The thread conversion GUI needs to have a choice to:

Create Rare salvage for (8 x 20) = 160 Threads

Create Very Rare Salvage for (30 x 20) = 600 Threads

Also it would be handy to simply change and simplify the GUI section for common, uncommon, rare, and very rare where they convert the salvage into Empyrean merits following the same conversion table as above, no more of the short changed uncommon worth 60 threads giving you 8 to 10 that is simply wrong.

Also the simplified table takes away the need to convert within rareness with thread penalty to do so, in effect you trade the salvage for the Empyrean merits and then buy stuff with the Empyrean Merit.

The proposed system is straight forward and simple to use.

It would also be nice, since 1 Empyrean Merit trades for 10 Reward Merits, that 10 reward merits trades for 1 Empyrean Merit.

For what it is worth

V/R

• Like 2

Thankyou Dr Rocket for that lovely comparison of the cost comparison.

21 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

The inflation shock from this would be unavoidable and undesirable. I sternly suggest NOT embarking down this path.

Additionally, you never need to spend 100,000,000 for incarnates, everything you need to craft is given to you for regular game play.

Hi SwitchFade, while I agree that spending 100 mil on a very rare incarnate salvage is not necessary as there are other means such as empyrean merits. there is still the option to do it via threads, however to do it via threads, you must create one of each Rare incarnate salvage, and afford the chiefly price of 100 mil inf. so if you have no empyrean merits and have a couple hundred threads, why not be able to sell those threads to help cover the cost?

keep in mind here that shops buy anything at half the price they would normally sell it for. Typically this sale price is not based on the crafting cost but rather on the ease of acquisition. so threads? we're talking <=5000 inf each (probably more like 1000 or 500) as they are quite common. from there we can use DrRocket's example of price comparisons to find out that it really isn't going to effect things that much.

You may have misunderstood me and thought I was saying that incarnate salvage should be sold for it's crafting cost. I agree with you, that would be an inflation shock.

In example, Dr Rocket's comparison clearly lays out that a very rare incarnate salvage would cost round about the cost of 600 threads, so if each thread were 500 inf, that's 300,000 inf. given that Lv 50 white con IOs yield around 100,000 inf and are far easier to acquire, this is hardly a dramatic price. even if it was 1000 inf per thread, that's 600,000 not even 1 million. you'd have to sell 10 Very Rare incarnate salvage to get 6 million inf (about the equivalent to 2 or 3 enhancement catalysts (rare) on the AH).

In comparison to the crafting cost it's ridiculously low, but lets say for example you have some incarnate salvage you don't need right now that you got from a trial or TF or such and breaking it down to turn it into something else wont help either as that only means paying the 100 mil inf price or maybe you have no empyrean merits all the very rare salvage you need to make the power and are just waiting for the inf.. this works. now you can easily sell things you don;t need and help work towards the inf goal.

Edited by Joshex

Edit:

I misread and thought the OP was also requesting for the ability to /AH incarnate components.  Apologies.  Carry on.

Previous message:

If we could buy/sell incarnate components, at least for e-bill players, I would play this game even less than I currently do because I would rather buy my incarnate powers than grind iTrial XXX (usually BAF, LAM, MoM) over and over while praying to RNGesus for VR incarnate drops.

Currently, I play to maximize player power via top-end IO builds, T4 incarnates, 4 passive accolades, and e-billing.  Of these 4 activities, only the 4 passive accolades (relegated to 8 hours of actual game play) and T4 incarnates require actual game playing.  Everything else is AFK or /AH.

However, I understand that I may be in the minority as a power-gaming mainoholic.

Edited by Obus Form
Misread

Uhm sorry cant see this as a need. by the time you are vet level 20 or so you will have all your incarnate stuff unlocked and T3 or T4 easily. People shouldnt be wasting TF rewards on alpha T1 salvage, thats just not using their heads. I doubt anyone is burning a 100 mil on making a bit of T4 I salvage. If they are, well good, we need that inf drained one way or another.

Im not sure what Dr. R is going on about above. No one tight on inf is wasting it on incarnate stuff. Yes maybe the old conversion option was based on live when some IO rare could go for several times a 100 mil. Maybe it could be adjusted with the HC economy kept in mind.

However in my experience, while sure not everyone is an efficient farmer type. most earn plenty via tfs and story arcs to invest a few hundred mil into even a casual players main toons. Due to taking the time to personally teach them, I can safely say everyone in my mains SG knows how to liquidate merits into influence.

I am sure I am not the only one who did not scroll down and see the threads based recipes for Alpha components, and used the shards and inf method exclusively, on my first Homecoming character.   This mistake is one I have not repeated, especially since I dislike playing for inf.   I gerenally consider a character finished when they have all their unlocks and slotted with t3 incarnates, since the slog to t4 is as long as the one to t3 all over again and then some. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 3/16/2020 at 3:37 AM, Joshex said:

when it costs 100 mil to make a very rare incarnate salvage money in the game gets scarce. there are things to sell to eventually get that much, and yeah there's empyrean merits and such. but why not have shops buy it for reduced prices? or have incarnate contacts buy incarnate salvage? reason being is, maybe some one is trying to slot their toon whilst doing the incarnate process or after the incarnate process?

we'd just need a list of likely costs to make each component.

we still wouldn't be able to trade them so the auction house wouldn't be compromised, but we'd be able to sell them for something.

The Incarnate system is a convoluted hot mess especially for new incarnates.

pre Incarnate and post Incarnate should remain separate.

Incarnate Merit Vendor does exist but has limited usefulness in the current game. https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Incarnate_Merit_Vendor

A better explanation may be:

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

17 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Uhm sorry cant see this as a need. by the time you are vet level 20 or so you will have all your incarnate stuff unlocked and T3 or T4 easily. People shouldnt be wasting TF rewards on alpha T1 salvage, thats just not using their heads. I doubt anyone is burning a 100 mil on making a bit of T4 I salvage. If they are, well good, we need that inf drained one way or another.

Im not sure what Dr. R is going on about above. No one tight on inf is wasting it on incarnate stuff. Yes maybe the old conversion option was based on live when some IO rare could go for several times a 100 mil. Maybe it could be adjusted with the HC economy kept in mind.

However in my experience, while sure not everyone is an efficient farmer type. most earn plenty via tfs and story arcs to invest a few hundred mil into even a casual players main toons. Due to taking the time to personally teach them, I can safely say everyone in my mains SG knows how to liquidate merits into influence.

pretty hard to liquidate merits to influence when you are still slotting sets.

way past vet level 20 still trying to get T4 alpha. reason being? I don't do trials or TFs much because the Freakshow war ouro flashback has a better repeatable yield. I only do TFs when in the mood (for fun or to test my build) or if I have a short time, no other things started, and someone is advertising a speed something that's worth the time. Usually I don't know if I have time as people boss me around pretty regularly and expect me to hop to or else. So a solo ouro arc is fine because I can finish it one mission at a time if need be, where as a TF or trial.. yeah quitting after one mission would piss a lot of people off so.. I just don't join.

after a few months of playing I managed to get 100 mil from selling all my recipes and salvage, mostly to shops... pretty sad when the AH pays less for a recipe than the shop. then after I got the 100 mil I decided to not spend it on the VR salvage and instead use it to slot like 4 powers. so... yeah..

there are methods available yes, but what about when people are fully slotted? they have their whole build done perfectly, now every time they play they'll earn threads they can no longer do anything with. they can't even sell them, just delete. same with incarnate salvage from TFs or trials. delete. basically anything that's not an astral or empyrean merit would be useless and just a waste of server database space.

correct me if I'm wrong but there's no way to turn incarnate salvage back into empyrean or astral merits right? or if there is it may cost significant amounts of inf to grease said transfer wheels.

Edited by Joshex

6 hours ago, Joshex said:

way past vet level 20 still trying to get T4 alpha. reason being? I don't do trials or TFs much because the Freakshow war ouro flashback has a better repeatable yield. I only do TFs when in the mood (for fun or to test my build) or if I have a short time, no other things started, and someone is advertising a speed something that's worth the time. Usually I don't know if I have time as people boss me around pretty regularly and expect me to hop to or else. So a solo ouro arc is fine because I can finish it one mission at a time if need be, where as a TF or trial.. yeah quitting after one mission would piss a lot of people off so.. I just don't join.

after a few months of playing I managed to get 100 mil from selling all my recipes and salvage, mostly to shops... pretty sad when the AH pays less for a recipe than the shop. then after I got the 100 mil I decided to not spend it on the VR salvage and instead use it to slot like 4 powers. so... yeah..

there are methods available yes, but what about when people are fully slotted? they have their whole build done perfectly, now every time they play they'll earn threads they can no longer do anything with. they can't even sell them, just delete. same with incarnate salvage from TFs or trials. delete. basically anything that's not an astral or empyrean merit would be useless and just a waste of server database space.

correct me if I'm wrong but there's no way to turn incarnate salvage back into empyrean or astral merits right? or if there is it may cost significant amounts of inf to grease said transfer wheels.

Uhm super inspirations are a very reliable way to turn excess threads into inf or stock pile for truly challenging oh shit situations.

Why would liquidating merits for inf be hard when your still slotting? That is why you liquidate. To afford filling slots with sets.

If you run just zone story arc series like the hollows, faultline, and striga island. between the arcs and the zone completion bonus, you will have a few hundred million for that character. And thats by the late 20s only doing chill easy to run story arcs solo. Add in TFs and random arcs and your looking at likely half a billion. Especially if you get lucky on drops. Plenty of set recipes still fetch a few mil.

As someone with both character still being developed, and toons totally done in being built. I really just dont find your issue one of the game. Im not hardcore, I dont play the market. I dont farm. I run arcs adn tfs for fun solo or with friends. And have 0 issue financing builds. Not every build gets top tier sets but that is based more on their concept then anything else.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Incarnate_Merit_Vendor

according to the tables, there is no threads to astral merits conversion. and no threads for insps conversion. this goes for any incarnate salvage too. no way to change it out once it's in incarnate salvage form.

and half a billion? lol I was completing zones full of archs and barely broke 30 million by the time I was like 40. before that it was tough going to slot things with SOs and IOs.

I had maybe 250 merits from completing lots of archs, but.. that didn't last long. and back then homecoming was just starting again and AH prices were much lower.

so, yeah the argument of being able to unload incarnate salvage for inf still stands. at present there is no way to do so given you can't change it into astral or empyrean merits and there is no pure thread or shard to anything conversion. it really is a locked system with no outs.

2 hours ago, Joshex said:

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Incarnate_Merit_Vendor

according to the tables, there is no threads to astral merits conversion. and no threads for insps conversion. this goes for any incarnate salvage too. no way to change it out once it's in incarnate salvage form.

and half a billion? lol I was completing zones full of archs and barely broke 30 million by the time I was like 40. before that it was tough going to slot things with SOs and IOs.

I had maybe 250 merits from completing lots of archs, but.. that didn't last long. and back then homecoming was just starting again and AH prices were much lower.

so, yeah the argument of being able to unload incarnate salvage for inf still stands. at present there is no way to do so given you can't change it into astral or empyrean merits and there is no pure thread or shard to anything conversion. it really is a locked system with no outs.

If you only had 30 million inf by 40, you're doing something wrong. Even with double XP.

1. Street sweep atlas to lvl 5

2. Go to hollows

3. Talk to Wincott, do his whole arc.

4. Do Flux's arc

5. Do Julius' arc

6. Do talsok's arc, turn off xp at 14.9 level, if you hit 15 you can't finish his arc

Once done in hollows you will have nearly 100 merits and be level 15.

100 merits x 3 converters we merit = 300 converters

300 converters x 80k each = 24 million inf

24million - AH fee = 20 million inf approximately by level 15.

Next:

1. Go to faultline

2. Talk to Jim temblor, do his arc

3. Do Penelope yin's arc

4. Do doc Delilah's arc

5. Do agent G's arc

Once done in faultline you will be lvl 25-26 and have another 100+ merits easily.

That's another 20-30 million.

Next:

Go to Croatoa

1. Talk to Gordon Bower, do his arc

2. Do Skipper LeGrange's arc

3. Do Kelly Nemmer's arc

4. Do Buck Salenger's arc

That's I think 80+ more merits.

By this point you will be lvl 32. With over 100 million in inf from merits to converters and drops, with double XP booster and inf earning off. It's that easy. Also, these arcs are fun.

6 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

If you only had 30 million inf by 40, you're doing something wrong. Even with double XP.

1. Street sweep atlas to lvl 5

2. Go to hollows

3. Talk to Wincott, do his whole arc.

4. Do Flux's arc

5. Do Julius' arc

6. Do talsok's arc, turn off xp at 14.9 level, if you hit 15 you can't finish his arc

Once done in hollows you will have nearly 100 merits and be level 15.

100 merits x 3 converters we merit = 300 converters

300 converters x 80k each = 24 million inf

24million - AH fee = 20 million inf approximately by level 15.

Next:

1. Go to faultline

2. Talk to Jim temblor, do his arc

3. Do Penelope yin's arc

4. Do doc Delilah's arc

5. Do agent G's arc

Once done in faultline you will be lvl 25-26 and have another 100+ merits easily.

That's another 20-30 million.

Next:

Go to Croatoa

1. Talk to Gordon Bower, do his arc

2. Do Skipper LeGrange's arc

3. Do Kelly Nemmer's arc

4. Do Buck Salenger's arc

That's I think 80+ more merits.

By this point you will be lvl 32. With over 100 million in inf from merits to converters and drops, with double XP booster and inf earning off. It's that easy. Also, these arcs are fun.

not everyone wishes to take that path, I did croatoa but before that did other things I can't remember, I know I did kings row and atlas park. oh yeah the midnighter arch was between kings row and croatoa. somewhere in there I did cimerora

then rwz, then a bunch of stuff in founders falls, then PI. back then recipes and converters were maybe 100k sell outs converters may have been around 300k inf, I decided to use the merits to buy sets that I needed, hence still slotting my toon and unable to spend the merits to make money.

yeah, the market has seen a big uptick recently. rare salvage went from 100k to 5 and 600k, I did some AE farming to get that when it was convenient. but yeah the market just was not upto speed back then, maybe now.

But that's moot point because the core argument here is incarnate salvage is a locked system, once something such as astral merits or empyrean merits or reward merits is converted into an incarnate component or threads or shards, there is no mechanism to get it out of that system. there needs to be if even at a much reduced rate. the most obvious thing is to make a mechanism to sell it for inf, or astral or empyrean merits.

Edited by Joshex

4 hours ago, Joshex said:

not everyone wishes to take that path, I did croatoa but before that did other things I can't remember, I know I did kings row and atlas park. oh yeah the midnighter arch was between kings row and croatoa. somewhere in there I did cimerora

then rwz, then a bunch of stuff in founders falls, then PI. back then recipes and converters were maybe 100k sell outs converters may have been around 300k inf, I decided to use the merits to buy sets that I needed, hence still slotting my toon and unable to spend the merits to make money.

yeah, the market has seen a big uptick recently. rare salvage went from 100k to 5 and 600k, I did some AE farming to get that when it was convenient. but yeah the market just was not upto speed back then, maybe now.

But that's moot point because the core argument here is incarnate salvage is a locked system, once something such as astral merits or empyrean merits or reward merits is converted into an incarnate component or threads or shards, there is no mechanism to get it out of that system. there needs to be if even at a much reduced rate. the most obvious thing is to make a mechanism to sell it for inf, or astral or empyrean merits.

You're kinda arguing just for the sake of having an argument.

It's plain not everyone wants to do those arcs, but this is proof of concept that having only 30m inf by lvl 40 is doing something wrong. The example I used was just one series of arcs, there are plenty others. They all have similar rewards, so discounting that the data supports the claim by mentioning that not everyone wants to do that series doesn't invalidate the point, by lvl 32 story missions arcs, merit conversion to converters and auctioning them at 80k each will get you more than 100m inf easily.

Further, and I hope this helps you on your next Alt, don't waste merits buying sets, you threw away literally 100 million inf. By converting those to inf and buying attuned enhances as you level, you get much more return,

100 merits = 1 ATO

1 ATO = 8 mill inf

100 merits = 300 converters

300 converters @ 80k each = 24mill inf

For 100 converters you could have bought 3 ATO's, if you bought them from the AH for inf; instead, you bought them from the vendor for merits. It's horribly expensive to do that, as you can see from the math above. And that's not even considering io's that only go for 2-3m each, like posi, mako, oblit, etc.

And that doesn indeed support my previous statement.

As for the opinion that incarnate salvage/locked/must have way out...

Not valid, as allowing conversion to inf would cause dramatic inflation. Further, there is no supporting evidence that there "must" be a way to sell it, as the incarnate system works fine. So there's threads that you don't use. Is there harm? Does it really matter? Would there be a dramatic improvement to most aspects of the game if it was changed? Would 80% of the player base care?

No vote.

TheROI on this is infintesimal, even if it weren't a bad idea, and there are 1,000 other things that would be so much more important to spend time improving from a game development standpoint.

56 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

You're kinda arguing just for the sake of having an argument.

It's plain not everyone wants to do those arcs, but this is proof of concept that having only 30m inf by lvl 40 is doing something wrong. The example I used was just one series of arcs, there are plenty others. They all have similar rewards, so discounting that the data supports the claim by mentioning that not everyone wants to do that series doesn't invalidate the point, by lvl 32 story missions arcs, merit conversion to converters and auctioning them at 80k each will get you more than 100m inf easily.

Further, and I hope this helps you on your next Alt, don't waste merits buying sets, you threw away literally 100 million inf. By converting those to inf and buying attuned enhances as you level, you get much more return,

100 merits = 1 ATO

1 ATO = 8 mill inf

100 merits = 300 converters

300 converters @ 80k each = 24mill inf

For 100 converters you could have bought 3 ATO's, if you bought them from the AH for inf; instead, you bought them from the vendor for merits. It's horribly expensive to do that, as you can see from the math above. And that's not even considering io's that only go for 2-3m each, like posi, mako, oblit, etc.

And that doesn indeed support my previous statement.

As for the opinion that incarnate salvage/locked/must have way out...

Not valid, as allowing conversion to inf would cause dramatic inflation. Further, there is no supporting evidence that there "must" be a way to sell it, as the incarnate system works fine. So there's threads that you don't use. Is there harm? Does it really matter? Would there be a dramatic improvement to most aspects of the game if it was changed? Would 80% of the player base care?

No vote.

TheROI on this is infintesimal, even if it weren't a bad idea, and there are 1,000 other things that would be so much more important to spend time improving from a game development standpoint.

the point is that theres nothing you can do with incarnate salvage once you are finished with the incarnate process. therefore there needs to be a drain. such as conversion to merits/astral/empyrean etc. or inf.

12 minutes ago, Joshex said:

the point is that theres nothing you can do with incarnate salvage once you are finished with the incarnate process. therefore there needs to be a drain. such as conversion to merits/astral/empyrean etc. or inf.

There doesn't need to be a drain. There's no negative impact to leaving it and there is potential harm to inf conversion. ROI on nay work on this is infintesimal.

I read somewhere you can use threads to buy insp then sell the insp on AH or use them....was I dreaming or is that a thing?  If its a thing it totally solves the OPs problem.

Edit:  found it...my search fu is strong today!

On 1/14/2020 at 10:42 AM, Bill Z Bubba said:

There's a juggling fairy in Ouroboros that let's you trade in threads for insps like the Ultimate +1 lvl insp or the huge levels of the regular insps. You can at least make a few inf selling those on the market. Think last time I did I got around 800K inf per Ultimate insp.

I'd like to be able to convert threads to emps. Even at a 50 to 1 or 100 to 1 conversion rate it'd be worth it since you can turn 50 emps into a transcendent and email it to another character on the same account.

Edited by EmmySky

23 hours ago, Joshex said:

Sure, until the incarnate system is expanded another level or two, and suddenly everyone who vendored their spare incarnate junk for 5,000 inf a piece is really, really sad.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

On 3/17/2020 at 6:49 PM, Heraclea said:

I am sure I am not the only one who did not scroll down and see the threads based recipes for Alpha components, and used the shards and inf method exclusively, on my first Homecoming character.   This mistake is one I have not repeated, especially since I dislike playing for inf.   I gerenally consider a character finished when they have all their unlocks and slotted with t3 incarnates, since the slog to t4 is as long as the one to t3 all over again and then some. 

How is any of it a slog? Maybe on your first ever character, it could be. But if you play for a while, the extra Empyrean Merits you get every 3 vet levels really start to add up—to say nothing of the Empies you could claim for doing Hamidon Raids every night. On my newest level 50s, I was able to email about 300 Empyrean Merits (converted 50:1 to Transcendent Merits for mailing) from my older 50s who already had all the powers they needed. Combined with the Threads they earned in their first dozen levels, I was able to kit them out very easily. Indeed, I could have bought pretty much everything up to Tier 4 without needing to do Trials, but I held myself back from that 'cuz I like doing Trials.

On 3/18/2020 at 12:06 PM, Joshex said:

Actually, you should be slotting sets with Influence, because you get a better return on buying stuff that way than buying it with Merits. Buy yourself five level 10 Steadfast Protection Resist/Defense recipes @ 20 Merits each, craft them, sell them, you'll probably have 27 million Inf after the AH fees. That'll buy you several Enhancements.

On 3/18/2020 at 12:06 PM, Joshex said:

You can convert it into Threads, though. Which you can use to buy Super Insps and sell for big money on the AH.

5 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I don't have a problem if they add an option to sell threads or other incarnate salvage to a vendor for 5,000 inf a piece.  In my opinion, there should not be any way to buy or trade incarnate salvage with other players for inf.

There isn't any way to convert Reward Merits directly into Inf. Some things just can't be converted like that. That's what an economy is for.

• Like 1

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!