Update 250 city of titans

Snarky

On 4/13/2021 at 10:12 AM, rookery. said:

I AM in the sense that Kickstarter is venture capitalism. They put out a pitch, people liked it enough, they made the effort, they either are faltering or have failed.

That's a pretty good description.  For good or ill, established publishing houses use it Kickstarter to fund all the up-front costs of new products, so it's too easy to mistake it for just an elaborate pre-order system.  (It happens all over the TTRPG industry.)  But there's risk involved when you shovel money into a hole for 8 years, and not all Kickstarter projects work out.

I was part of the team once. I'd rather not spill dirty laundry, but I do not see a foreseeable release perhaps ever. I wish them the best, though. 

I do think, however, most people's intentions there are pure. 

I personally also think the money should have gone to hiring out a development studio to lay the groundwork of the game. Having been involved with another game project, I estimate it would have been less than half the budget. Where did the budget go? I have no idea. But I don't think priding oneself on volunteer work was the best move.

It would once have pained me to say this because I used to be very bright-eyed about the project.

Edited by Moka
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Moka said:

I was part of the team once. I'd rather not spill dirty laundry, but I do not see a foreseeable release perhaps ever. I wish them the best, though. 

I do think, however, most people's intentions there are pure. 

I personally also think the money should have gone to hiring out a development studio to lay the groundwork of the game. Having been involved with another game project, I estimate it would have been less than half the budget. Where did the budget go? I have no idea. But I don't think priding oneself on volunteer work was the best move.

It would once have pained me to say this because I used to be very bright-eyed about the project.

Ditto for most of this from me too, I was also once involved.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I don't like the Kickstarter method for large projects. It's great for smaller project that small, amateur teams could reasonably handle. An MMO is not in the category today, if it ever was. I wish them good luck too, but it's a steep, long hill to climb.

I prefer venture capital as a means. Those providing the money there have a stake in it, expect the possibility of a financial return, and can monitor and push the team with some firm authority.

It has a bad side, too, which is these resulting games end up being focused on making money, which is not inherently bad, but if it becomes the primary focus, it also becomes self defeating. They make a game designed to pull in cash via all the bad additive methods we've seen so much of.

15 hours ago, Moka said:

Yeah I remember you! Hope you're doing good.

I am, yes!  I have to admit with great shame and dishonor that I don't recall your name there.  I'm bad at names over long term.  :P

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• 9 months later
4 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

"We just need more money for this to go from a hobby to a business"

... yikes!

Yeah, it's not a good look.  IMO, crowdfunding can work well for many things.  Books, documentary films, graphic novels, podcasts, tabletop games.  Video games is not one of them.  They just require too much time and money.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Yeah, it's not a good look.  IMO, crowdfunding can work well for many things.  Books, documentary films, graphic novels, podcasts, tabletop games.  Video games is not one of them.  They just require too much time and money.

I've never ran my own business, so take this anecdote with a healthy dose of chagrin - never mix business with pleasure. If you enjoy making super hero games, don't turn it in to a business because it won't be fun anymore, it will be a job where the bottom line will always be more important than anything else. 

• Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

4 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

I've never ran my own business, so take this anecdote with a healthy dose of chagrin - never mix business with pleasure. If you enjoy making super hero games, don't turn it in to a business because it won't be fun anymore, it will be a job where the bottom line will always be more important than anything else. 

I run my own business ( custom brand of EMS patches, stickers T-shirts and our own coffee roasts) and it's all pleasure. I love creating new designs and products, supporting my brothers and sisters in EMS while doing it. It's a second full-time job for me and it's still loads of fun. Other's MMV though. If you do a job you love, it doesn't feel like work. 

Ask me about my City Of Heroes patch problem https://levelzeroems.com/search?q=City of Heroes

5 hours ago, Jawbreaker said:

I run my own business ( custom brand of EMS patches, stickers T-shirts and our own coffee roasts) and it's all pleasure. I love creating new designs and products, supporting my brothers and sisters in EMS while doing it. It's a second full-time job for me and it's still loads of fun. Other's MMV though. If you do a job you love, it doesn't feel like work. 

Fair enough. I'm not yet at the 'doing a job that I love' part of my life. One day! 

• Like 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png