Please, please a better Minimal FX for Ice Epic Pool Armor

Nferno

7 hours ago, GastlyGibus said:

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that I don't think some armor powers should have a Min-FX option.

I will say that some powers are definitely in need of a graphical tune-up, but thematically, if you pick Stone armor, and your character just looks like a regular spandex-wearing hero with no added effects, it just wouldn't make any sense, would it?

"Why are you moving so slow, Rad Rockster?"
"Oh, I have Granite Armor toggled on, you can't see it though."

I know I'm the odd one out here, and I know the rebuttal is "but it's OPTIONAL, GastlyGibus! You don't HAVE to turn it off if you don't want to!" I get that, but even still, I just feel like if you're going to roll a set like Stone Armor, and your costume idea somehow doesn't include your character being covered in actual rocky formations, well, why are you rolling Stone armor then? Likewise, if I'm rolling Fiery Aura, and my concept doesn't involve me being engulfed in flames, what's the point?

I'm not trying to be mean here, just throwing in my two cents. I get that it's silly to expect realism in a game with super-powered flying people in spandex, among other things, but having a Stone Armor character, or an Ice Armor character, or Fiery Aura, or any kind of powerset with active effects, and then taking away those special effects, seems kind of strange and immersion breaking to me.

So what? It's someone ELSE'S character. Jesus people are such control freaks. It isn't enough to design your own character... no no, you have to dictate what others can do in matters of personal taste. 

It is more true to the concept of the set to have there be actual rocks or whatever protecting you, though. I also think the game looks better if we have some people running around who are on fire, who are dust balls, who glow green etc etc.

11 minutes ago, Blastit said:

It is more true to the concept of the set to have there be actual rocks or whatever protecting you, though. I also think the game looks better if we have some people running around who are on fire, who are dust balls, who glow green etc etc.

You're basically someone sitting at a table going "Hey, hamburgers have mustard on them!" when someone asks if they can leave off a condiment. You arent going to eat the burger or play the character.... why do you get a vote? Same with hasten having glowy fists, or fire powers getting recolored. There will still be people running around on fire, covered in ice, etc. They would just have more options. That tank might be rock armor, they might be invuln, but you shouldnt get a say in THEIR costume, and its petty to try and block a reasonable request.

I like it when power sets have character that makes an impact on the game environment. I'm all for making alternative effects for Dark Armour, Stone Armour and such but if you want to be completely without an immediate visual identifier of your armour powers then you can play Invulnerability, Willpower or Super Reflexes to no particular harm. Otherwise you might as well demand to be able to reskin Fire Blast into electric powers because you want to zap people but also want to play Fire Blast because it's stronger than Electrical Blast.

And where do you live that mustard is a default on hamburgers?

You can basically say the same for all power sets.  I'd like my Defender's /Ice to be much darker ("black ice"), it currently only supports a "light" colored SFX, but also a more minimal SFX would be great.  And Atomic Armor needs more minimal ism.  Like all of it.  But maybe also colors that allow me to turn down the SFX much more, some powers are still just overbearing no matter what you do.

1 hour ago, SuperPlyx said:

I don't understand why you keep bringing up Primary and Secondary power choices. Of course a Stone tank should look like a Stone tank. But what does that have to do with what a Plant/Emp troller looks like?

Because other people are also talking about this in general. The same principle applies to APP armours, anyway. If you want to talk specifically APP armour toggles as used by non-melee characters at the very least Controllers already have a minimal FX option for Frozen Armour, which is great. What the OP wanted was an invisible FX option, which goes against the idea of the power.

I'd add the controller psionic mastery Indomitable Will and Mind over Body to the list, which don't have a minimal option at all.  Even changing the colors doesn't help much.  I find the swirling circles all over my body more distracting than the frozen armor minimal.  And you can't say they have to be there for RP reasons, the armor is from my mind!, it can darn well be invisible and doesn't need visible swirling circles.

The radiation armor sets are also bad enough that I refuse to play them.  I think it is more the busy graphics that bother me (like radiation and the psi ones I mentioned, I find them very distracting).  I might try the camera trick option mentioned earlier for this set though.

On 4/26/2020 at 5:32 PM, Vanden said:

Call me old-fashioned, but I feel like if you take powers that are supposed to cover you in ice they should look like they cover you in ice.

While I agree, I'm not against a middle-ground option wherein you are surrounded by swirling bits of snow and ice crystals.  The big chunky ice blocks are ugly as sin and completely overpower your costume, something that gets the ice theme across while still showing what you look like underneath would be nice.

I like what they did with Bio Armor for this reason.  The minimal FX option keeps the theme intact, but it's more of an internal power than external.

31 minutes ago, AkuTenshiiZero said:

While I agree, I'm not against a middle-ground option wherein you are surrounded by swirling bits of snow and ice crystals.  The big chunky ice blocks are ugly as sin and completely overpower your costume, something that gets the ice theme across while still showing what you look like underneath would be nice.

This customization already exists, you can turn off the ice blocks and have just some snowflakes form on your body.