Building for damage question

Garrickwest

hey guys for me in this game it seems like whenever i make toons the builds are always like focus on res/def  soft cap one and get good amount of other. I have a dm/sr that is pretty solid...not record breaking or top scrapper on server but does very well overall in my opinion..but i had idea to try to use his build 2nd build as a team only focused build where damage and accuracy are his primary focus and defense and resist are not main focus. ..does anyone do builds like that? Is it fun or not fun? Possible or not possible with toons or super reflex toons?

Or maybe softcap defense but lower resistance for more damage and rely on my team healers?

What is considered high damage? Most my toons end up around 15-20% for damage.

No reason you can't or shouldn't do a more team focused build for a second build.  As an /SR scrapper I'd still go for the softcap.  And for other scrapper pri/sec's I'd still be looking to build very solidly for survival.  Unless we're talking about a static team I wouldn't sacrifice survival and hope the support was there to beef up my build in areas that are normally strengths.  

Sometimes adding damage to a build isn’t just about raw buffs, but things like Damage procs, or finding ways to gain access to other powers that can help boost your damage opportunities. Using IOS specifically to hunt down +Dam bonuses generally doesn’t end up going very far as there aren’t a wide variety of them, and they’re all pretty nominally low (1.5-3%, a few 5’ers, and rarer for any beyond that).

If you haven’t seen the threads yet, take a look at the links in my signature (or search for “Proc Monster” in Tanker/Defender/Controller threads if you’re on mobile).

If you want to do more exploration of builds that bend +Damage, then you’ll really want to take a look at my most recent post in the Mad King thread. I’ve put together a Brute that comes wickedly close to its damage cap solo.

• Like 1

Imo, building for damage is fun. Killing stuff fast is also fun. Sounds like you're talking about a min/max build. Building for bare minimum in most stats to save resources to maximize one stat. Usually damage. A lot of players build that way. A good portion of the pylon kill times are probably with min/max builds.

When SR is built for damage, it will end up with around +35-40% damage. Include Leadership Assault and Hybrid Assault bonuses, it will be at around +55-60% damage. It's equivalent to swallowing one large, red inspira or hitting 5-6 targets with Soul Drain. All primary attacks in the chain should have 3 procs slotted. 

I would build for +RECHARGE over +DAMAGE every day.  Having more attacks (faster) is always better than having the same attacks slower but slightly more damage.  Then, when in big teams and often at the damage cap, you'll be knocking out more attacks and thus doing more damage.

Not to mention that +Recharge benefits other non-damaging powers that have long recharges (should you have any); double-stacked Practiced Brawler is not bad...  If you take Elude (don't), etc.  SR already has a built-in +20% via Quickness, so it is made for it.

Guess it depends on the Melee set that is paired with it.  I used to love SR on live, but it is so squishy in the incarnate stuff.  You really need a LAYERED defense set, because even though I often have well beyond the soft-cap for incarnate positional defenses, when I get hit, it hurts and often kills me.  I found WP, Bio, Dark, and EA much more survivable (no EA on tanks, unfortunately).  Oh, EA = Energy Aura, because LoL Electric Armor.

• Like 1

• 3 months later

I would second building for recharge over damage. I like to go for defense softcaps so that does take out a lot of wiggle room in sets. I used to use bio armor a lot because of offensive adaptation. That was until I realized I could get loads more recharge and also damage procs if I used energy aura or super reflexes instead. Not only did I attack MUCH faster, but often times the attacks themselves did more damage because of procs. 

On 5/5/2020 at 9:23 AM, r0y said:

I used to love SR on live, but it is so squishy in the incarnate stuff.

Just to clarify, this may be true for Scrappers, but SR tankers can handle incarnate stuff as well as pretty much anything

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood