Water/? Duo

Crowcus Pocus

Hey guys.

Me and a friend are considering rolling a themed water corruptor duo. We intend to run most TFs (including MsLiberty) so we were thinking what would be a nice combo to go with.

My buddy is set on Water/Rad and I think that's great for the debuffs, heal and extra recharge and damage boost. I'm thorn between Water/Rad, /Cold or /Time.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Edited by Falsey

Warning: This post may contain an opinion.

Water/time will allow you both an easier time leveling up. Farsight and time's juncture will enable you both a level of survivability that is pretty much without compare. Chronoshift and slowed response are just gravy after that.

Water/cold is nice with more -res goodness through sleet, but /cold would only be better at 50 once you are both IO'd out imo. 

Water/rad is nice, but I think water/time offers pretty much everything it has and more to a duo team.

/Cold is a pretty late bloomer as far as getting powers that feel really impactful in combat - Sleet at 35 and Heat Loss at 38 - so keep that in mind when determining how much time you intend to spend below those levels. It also has 3 powers you cannot use on yourself. That is fine if you dig buffing and support, but it would be better, IMO, if your partner was playing a set with similar skills, so you would both have more similar survivability. You do get 3 easy spots to throw LotG recharge IO's in your build, which is nice.

/Rad at least is a pretty equal opportunity contributor in both buffing and debuffing. That's always an enjoyable set to play alongside.

/Time is an undeniably strong set with a more even spread of solid powers across the level ranges. For whatever reason, I've never stuck with any of the many toons I've rolled with Time Manipulation. I just get bored with it, not sure why. It's worth a try, though, as I'm likely in the minority here.

@dungeoness and @eloora on Excelsior

<Federation of United Cosmic Knights>

I went Water/Sonic for a Sonar-Themed aquatic-adapted corruptor.  It's probably not the greatest choice for soloing...  Sonic Resonance has some debuffs mixed in with the buffs, but it's definitely more suited to a good-sized team than for soloing or duoing.  On the other hand, if he's sucking up all the aggro with his Rad Debuffs, he may be very glad to have some Sonic Bubbles on him.  And +Resistance bubbles would stay useful even after you both slot some good +Defense.

What? No water/bubbles?

Yet another instance where Force Fields are thematically perfect, and yet the mechanics of it all just make them not worth mentioning.  I gotta say though, Water/Cold and Water/Time are both also pretty thematic.  Water has been linked to both Temperature and Time for ages.  I think Time is generally considered better, but I always like an underdog, so go water/cold.  Actually, as I look at corruptor secondaries, water could be in theme for most of them.. but you asked about /cold and /time specifically, so between those two go /cold.

Water/Traps.

Easy softcapped positional defenses, crunchy -resist, 1000% -regen, and GIGANTIC AOE damage to compliment the already-outstanding AOE potential in Water. Plus proc-trops, and proc-drones for even more aoe goodness that you spawn between fights and automatically hone in on targets.

Plus, the always-fun water/kin... slip into a spawn of +4, Fulcrum shift, and blow everything but the bosses to kingdom come with your nuke and burst, and they are flopping around uselessly while you set up another show. Plus everyone else in the fight loves you.

I'll second Water/Time, but as an alternative I would also suggest Water/Dark. 

Water/Time does its best stuff in melee, where you can get the most use out of Time's Juncture. Water/Dark has more toys that work well from range. Both of them can heal and debuff enemies, but /Dark will have stronger overall Debuffs, immediate healing (Temporal Mending is all about the healing over time), and the best Rez power in the game for when your buddy goes down. By comparison, /Time is a much later bloomer in terms of its strong powers, and its healing is more about being over time than immediate, but has *superb* buffs which greatly enhance defense and recharge. Your friend would be extremely happy either way. 

I have a water/storm corruptor that is an absolute beast. It's a fun combo.

That said, if I had to make it over and was unable to go storm, I'd probably roll it as a water/dark.

P.S. if you're not married to the idea that f a support/debuff secondary, a water/bio sentinel can pwn the game. I have one that has solo'd about 15 AV's with mine.

Although it isn't part of your list in the original post, I'd strongly recommend Water/Kin. Kinetics pairs up nicely with a lot of primaries, but I feel like it really gets things boiling with water. All of the self damage buffing with Fulcrum Shift and Siphon Power stack up nicely and gives you some nice killing power with all of those blasts. You'll always be the life of a team too. 

It's active and very fast paced. So you won't feel like a buff bot at all. 

Water, Sonic, Radiation, Darkness (Soil Noir), and Psychic Blasts make really good bases for Water-themed characters when using Blue-Green-White colorization.

If you're looking for some content that has the tools you'll need for AV-slaying, I would suggest Poison, Radiation, or Cold as your secondary. You may want to consider playing Defenders because the Support lines are more crucial for what you have in mind.