AH warnings on overbid

Ukase

We've all most likely seen the default warning for the fees that are going to be charged when posting something for sale, but there doesn't seem to be a warning on bidding high inf amounts on a given item or items. 

Some of the better "ebil marketers" have posted such typos with extra trailing zeros and offered refunds, but most of the time, the folks that make these errors aren't reading the forums regularly enough to catch the offer, nor are they thinking of making a screenshot to verify they're the ones who overbid. 

In help channel, after I read a few folks who'd made these errors, I thought I'd come here and make the suggestion.  I've overpaid on stuff...like paying 45million for something, when I thought I was bidding on a Micro Hami-O. 

I think the warning should pop up when you're offering more than 2x of the average of the last 5 sold. A warning of some kind. 

I once got 80Million for a scrapper ATO.
I once got 120 Million for a Glad Armor 3% Def(all)
I got 12 million for a perf shifter +endurance IO...(I don't feel bad about that - whomever did that was clearly trying to place a lowball bid!) 

I'm unclear if the 8M I got for a Preventative Medicine was a leading zero or just a generous/impatient bidder. There were only 10 or so for sale, so who knows. 

Eh. I'd probably turn it off if it existed - people put in lowball bids and sometimes get several of the same item. If we have a recipe (for instance) that often goes for 70,000 (for instance) and someone for whatever reason has several of them and dumps them at 1 inf, suddenly filling those lowball 5k bids, the next "normal" prices would trigger it.

I'm not against it, like I said I'd probably just turn it off like so many of the other warnings.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

I think the warning should pop up when you're offering more than 2x of the average of the last 5 sold. A warning of some kind. 

giphy.gif

It is a nice idea, especially if Steve Harvey is the warning, but for some items (think salvage prices) the prices fluctuate by powers of 10^3.

Edited by tidge

Meh... if it can be turned off I wouldn't care. I think it will just be yet another prompt that the majority of people will ignore/turn off. 

My only concern would be that it will slow down the AH even more...which at times is already way too slow. 

I’m not opposed to the idea as I have done it before, but I feel the prices vary too much to go off the last 5 bids. I think instead, do a warning at 5 mil for salvage and 15-20 million for enhancements/recipes.

this would capture an extra 0 for rare salvage and catch an extra 0 on most recipes and enhancements without interfering with the majority of the items on the market.