a Question of Detonation

Frostweaver

I have two traps masterminds, one of which is a 'challenge build' semi-petless double gang war, and the other one is a beasts/traps mastermind.
I have never taken detonator with either build, because even though the damage is staggering for an MM, I despise the idea of purposefully sacrificing a pet and franken-6-slotting it with cranked up recharge is the only way to get real use out of it.

The question is this... Can detonator be used on semi-henchmen like traps pets, gang war or soul extraction? or is it strictly for controllable henchmen?

2 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Try seeing if you can put the detonator on your Force Field Drone ...

4 hours ago, Frostweaver said:

I have never taken detonator with either build,

If the question was not obvious enough, I was hoping someone had already tried so I wouldn't have to blow off a respec or waste the time respeccing on test when I am off. I am at work, and sometimes like poking around with builds and stuff while I am working.

Edited by Frostweaver

7 hours ago, Frostweaver said:

If the question was not obvious enough, I was hoping someone had already tried so I wouldn't have to blow off a respec or waste the time respeccing on test when I am off. I am at work, and sometimes like poking around with builds and stuff while I am working.

You don't have to respec. Switch to your second build on one of your traps characters. It'll start you at level 1 and you can just level up that spec however you want it. Since you're unlikely to actually have any reason to ever dual spec a mastermind, you can just level that spec up to 50 at liberty, summon your pets, and try out detonator on them. 

Also detonator damage is not really that great. Someone tested it out, there's a thread about it somewhere in this forums I think. Detonator does a bit more damage than trip mine slotted out with a way longer recharge plus the expense of losing a pet to it. It's the worst power Traps has by a mile. 

Edited by TheSpiritFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSpiritFox said:

Also detonator damage is not really that great. Someone tested it out, there's a thread about it somewhere in this forums I think. Detonator does a bit more damage than trip mine slotted out with a way longer recharge plus the expense of losing a pet to it. It's the worst power Traps has by a mile. 

Sounds like a PITA/cheese routine for killing your Lich for Soul Extraction. I can’t really imagine any other use other than for fun/RP. 

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

1 hour ago, Nyghtmaire said:

Sounds like a PITA/cheese routine for killing your Lich for Soul Extraction. I can’t really imagine any other use other than for fun/RP. 

Yeah. Detonator was come up with before anyone really got an understanding of how fucking painful mastermind summoning can be. Traps was one of the first MM sets and like it came out before Bodyguard existed to say nothing of like AOE upgrades. The reason traps has stood the test of time is 1) most of it's powers do more than one thing well and 2) most of it's powers can be stacked double with an IO build which makes the debuffs traps can bring truly absurd. And like, -1000% regen on poison trap means that the DPS required to eventually annihilate anything is very, very low. 

Edited by TheSpiritFox

I was actually considering putting detonation on a gang war thug if it was possible 😛  If that's an option, it might actually be profitable.

But from what I have seen it doesn't look possible.  So det is only useful for pyro, who's gonna die in seconds anyway.

• Haha 1

I tried it on my Semi petless Boy with his Giant Robot toon ( Robot Boy and G O L I A T H )

My concept was have some emotes and then have the Robot Detonate.  Basically get a bit immersive and learn a bit about emote and pet emotes..

Nonetheless, as a reminder it is on a 5 minute recharge timer. So once you used based on your recharge rate it will take a whole 5 minutes to reuse again..

I tested this power several times which you can imagine is a pain since you have to wait 5 minutes per test.

I did as mentioned and just picked up blank build and slotted it with damage accuracy and recharge.. I also picked up burn out for this dummy build to get it up twice at least..

I used it against GRAY CON mobs and missed several mobs a few times.. 

I get the whole luck of the dice roll etc..

But as I stated in another thread for a full 5 minute recharge this thing better be SUPER NUKE... 

Sadly it is NOT... 

I cannot express how sad and disappointing this power is..

Again 5 MINUTE TIMER..  

This thing has to shoot rainbows and Unicorns..  Shower you with Influence and kill everything in a BIG BIG radius.. 

Again it does not..    

1 hour ago, Redlynne said:

Expected this ...

spacer.png

Got this ...

spacer.png

EXACTLY !!!! 

On 6/4/2020 at 8:08 PM, TheSpiritFox said:

Since you're unlikely to actually have any reason to ever dual spec a mastermind, you can just level that spec up to 50 at liberty, summon your pets, and try out detonator on them.

Heresy!

One reason to dual-spec a Mastermind is to experience the joy and terror that is a (semi-) petless Mastermind as well as having a full kit of pets. I don't recommend MMs without pets, but some players can't help themselves.

Masterminds can play differently depending on the approach taken vis-a-vis primary attacks and secondary/pool choices. Using a second build with different choices can expand potential fun.

Spoiler

Skip Detonator

Edited by tidge
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2020 at 7:06 PM, kiramon said:

why would you expect anything like that out of traps

Because on every other AT, especially Illusion control, Traps is the premier, brutal, and terrifying God of damage and defense. Even on a mastermind poison trap, shield drone, acid mortar carry the whole set.

I just didn't expect that on Masterminds poison traps, shield drone, and acid mortar were the only things worth taking.

I guess, on the plus side, at least there's LOTS of room to take LOTG mules, presence, and leadership.