Power Set(s) Choice Guidance

Lady War

I'm a team guy so I don't need solo options. I'm looking for the most wanted power sets for late/end game of these combos:

Emp/Son

Therm/Sonic

Therm/BR or BR/Therm

Sonic/BR or BR/Sonic

Sonic/Ice

I like a more active playstyle and I've heard that "healers" are really not needed in the end game because everyone is basically a god. What are the pros and cons of these builds? Which work better as defenders/corruptors. Whats wanted/needed for late/end game content? And finally what limitless budget builds do you have?

“Healers” aren’t really wanted or needed, yet you’ll still have people asking for them in standard radio groups etc. a healer can make a group work, but on a good steam rolling one you won’t get to heal much...

but as you “evolve” your play with healers, you’ll learn that you don’t need to do much with healing and just join the damage train and side heal... you’ll have more fun and people

still won’t die. 

I personally prefer corruptor but most of what you listed is better as a defender. But don’t get sucked into some heal bot 1 attack type thing - that’s less fun.

anyways, of your choices id say empathy— thermal a close second. Sonic is cool but it has very little active play (except that you get to be active with your secondary) in itself. Empathy gets to spam it’s buffs and keep things moving, while having the end from RA to keep shooting.

although you didn’t list pain, that’s my personal favorite. I just like it better , but empathy is a step above. Lol

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later
On 6/6/2020 at 7:13 PM, Lady War said:

I'm a team guy so I don't need solo options. I'm looking for the most wanted power sets for late/end game of these combos:

Play what you find fun and interesting. As a Defender you'll bring something to the team regardless so long as some buffs and debuffs are involved. In regards to the effects you're looking at all I can say is that you might find some of those sets less effective in Incarnate content (ST exclusive buffs like Fortitude), but worthwhile in regular team play when you can hit a few players effectively.

Sonic Blast is going to stack on some serious -Res so long as you're actively tossing out attacks, and those debuffs will multiple an entire team/leagues impact on those targets.

Empathy, Thermal, and Sonic are a dynamic shift through a microscope. Heals, Heals + Res, Res.

Sonic you can get a toggle +Res, +Status bubble which'll benefit you and some good debuffs and group buff shields, but is very hands-off in its nature. Empathy is similar in having a few strong heals, but its +Regen and +Recovery auras can at least benefit you as well, but that's where it stops.

If you're considering one side or the other, Thermal might be the best case scenario for you as you'll get a couple of good group-impacting +Res shield which will have immediate value for a wide dynamic of players (+Res is more likely to have favor across the board than +Def as so many already try and fit 45% in their builds), a good ST buff that you can stack up on several people at once, and a strong Debuff to help take down hard targets... oh, and a heal aura. The only unfortunate side effect of Thermal is that pretty much none of it benefits you, and is all geared towards team value. Given what you said about being team-centric and wanting that max utility "end game" however, I'd personally still suggest Thermal/Sonic Blast.

On 6/6/2020 at 8:13 PM, Lady War said:

I like a more active playstyle

I really wouldn't recommend Sonic Resonance based off of this. My main on live was a Sonic/Electric Defender and I think Sonic is probably the most passive of all the Defender primaries. Your only real active ability on Sonic Resonance is Sonic Siphon and to a much lesser extent Clarity and Liquefy. Clarity is generally something you want to throw around on mez-vulnerable targets on your teams as well as if you see someone actually get mezzed. It's nice to keep it active as much as possible, but it's not usually fully needed. Liquefy is nice, but has an extremely long cooldown and even with high recharge and a tricked out IO build, it's not gonna be a power you spam. Sonic Siphon is your only real active ability and it's nice to hit a key target with it for your allies to take them down faster, but it's not a game-changing power by any means. Beyond those abilities, everything you will be reliably using is a buff & forget or a toggle power. I'd go so far as to say even Force Field is more active if you use Repulsion Bomb and Force Bolt properly, but again, I wouldn't recommend that set either if you're looking for something active. It's just that, I earnestly believe Sonic Resonance is the most passive out of all Defender primaries. This can be a good thing if you want to focus more on your secondary and blast away, but if you are looking to be active in terms of your primary, I do urge you to look elsewhere.

As far as healers not being needed. They aren't. That being said, Empathy is still one of the most played sets in the game and you will still see people looking for a "healer" in chat from time-to-time even on Homecoming.

Emp/Son

Therm/Sonic

Therm/BR or BR/Therm

Sonic/BR or BR/Sonic

Sonic/Ice

Out of these, and remembering what I said about Sonic Resonance, I would recommend you to try the Thermal/Sonic Defender. Thermal has a pbaoe heal, a single target heal, res shields (similar to Sonic minus the big bubble), a strong single target buff, two good enemy debuffs, + a rez & a mez protection ability if you want them. While I said Sonic primary wasn't especially active, Sonic secondary definitely is for Defenders. You want to keep blasting to debuff -res and make your allies do more dmg with each hit.

So, that would be my personal vote.

Also, I'm re-reading this and it makes it seem like I dislike Sonic Resonance, but I actually love the set. I just want to make you fully aware that Sonic plays pretty passively as a primary with many toggles and fire & forget buffs before you find yourself invested in it and bored of it at the same time.

Edited by Strawberry
  • Like 1

50 Kinetic Melee / Regen Scrapper  🐊

50 Pain Domination / Fire Defender  🍰 

One of the reasons that Emps are still highly called on is Fort for the dmg and tohit and Def boost. You might consider Paid Dom with Painbringer, Share Pain, conduit of pain and World of Pain  you can really up teammate damage. Along with Anguishing Cry you bring a lot of buffs/debuffs to go with the damage increases and you can healz when needed/wanted.

And it can keep you plenty busy.

Side benefit, heals get praises by everyone but buffs/debuffs only get praised by those who know.

I appreciate all the feedback. I started up a few of the previously mentioned combos and found Therm/BR to be my jam. I realize it's probably slightly less functional than Therm/Son but sonic for a blast power is an absolute snoozefest. 

In spite of my previous statement after I complete the Therm/BR and a Merc/EA MM I'm going to give Emp/Sonic a go and eventually Sonic/Ice or BR.

With that said what the pros/cons for Ice vs. BR?

• Like 2

One pro for Ice is that it works better for a Corr as the rains benefit more from scourge. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."