Weekly Discussion 57: Patron Pools

GM Miss

On 6/30/2020 at 12:45 AM, Cutter said:

My second beef is that the PPPs I've tried (which, again, is a small handful over a small number of ATs, so certainly not exhaustive) seem to be way more front-loaded than EPPs. The shields are always a first-tier selection (vs second-tier on the EPP side), and they often start with an AOE as well (at least within tanker sets, which is the bulk of my experience). Compare Mu vs Fire on a tank - two Mu picks gets me a pair of AOEs, whereas on the other side I need to go 3 deep in Fire to get one. To be clear on this, I'm not asking for a change to PPPs here - rather I'd prefer to see the EPPs brought up to the same standard. I loathe being stuck with 1 or 2 useless/entirely-too-situational powers to get to what I want, and the PPPs in my opinion do a much better job of eliminating those dead weight intro picks.

Fair enough.

BUT.

If the epics were swapped along these lines, lets be fair, and give each epic a Story Arc to unlock em. The patrons do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Razor Cure said:

If the epics were swapped along these lines, lets be fair, and give each epic a Story Arc to unlock em. The patrons do.

The problem there is two-fold;

First, unlike the Patron Pools there is no set themes available to every AT; Tankers have Ice, Scrappers do not. Scrappers have ninja weapons, Blasters have a rifle.

Second, the Ancillary pools don’t map well to any existing major character. Blue-side Blast Furnace (after he goes hero) and Flambeaux (before she goes villain) are the only two I can think of who even have fire powers.

Do we REALLY want Flambeaux as our patron just to get Blaze Mastery?

We do not.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Chris24601 said:

Everyone knows that the Blaze Mastery patron would just be the guy behind the counter in the AE. That's where the vast majority of fire-related things take place.

• Haha 2

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

Manti for Munitions epics.

Infernal for Fire

Synapse for Elec

Penny for Psychic

Woodsman for Earth/stone

etc etc. Sure, some wouldnt be as matching as the Patrons, but still. Even ONE single arc to unlock every kind of epic would make it more balanced.

I like the current state of the patron power system - it's fun going through a quest to unlock them, I like working with the signature characters, and I love how unique the animations are. I have no problem using those powers with heroes as if the heroes have always had them. I wish Scorpion Shield's graphic could be even more minimal, as I'm not a fan of the energy circles - it'd be nice to have a less conspicuous def armor option, as Ice and Scorpion Shield can be hard to mind-lore around.

Can we please get the ability to Slot ATOs in our PPPs (& APPs)?

On 7/3/2020 at 3:40 PM, Ephemeris said:

I would just like to see the Patron arcs unlock a few levels earlier so the first tier of powers may be selected at 35 without the need of a full respec.

Strongly Agree

Edited by Chance Jackson
Added parentheses

On 7/2/2020 at 11:43 PM, Chris24601 said:

The problem there is two-fold;

First, unlike the Patron Pools there is no set themes available to every AT; Tankers have Ice, Scrappers do not. Scrappers have ninja weapons, Blasters have a rifle.

Second, the Ancillary pools don’t map well to any existing major character. Blue-side Blast Furnace (after he goes hero) and Flambeaux (before she goes villain) are the only two I can think of who even have fire powers.

We do not.

Well, one idea might be to make five new blueside arcs, one for each origin.  Don't make them locked to your origin though.  Unlocking any one of those arcs could unlock ancillary pools.  Consider it incarnate lite.

Who run Bartertown?

On 7/3/2020 at 2:40 PM, Ephemeris said:

I would just like to see the Patron arcs unlock a few levels earlier so the first tier of powers may be selected at 35 without the need of a full respec.

It's hard to argue against this, since it's essentially already being done - people advertise their patron arc and others join, often at low level, so they're already unlocked.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.