Which Powersets are here that were not in the final version of the game?

Rajah

Hi all,

First let me say that I am beyond excited to have found out this game is back. I was not an active player when the game ended, but I played pretty extensively up until about 2010-2011.

There are a LOT of powersets I don't remember every seeing or playing with. How many of these were actually in the game live when the server shut down? For instance, I don't remember radiation melee/radiation armor for brutes, tankers, scrappers, etc. AT ALL.

Is there a resource that accurately shows which powersets were live and which were still in beta or not tested at all or whatever?

Thank you!

Not sure about a resource that lists them. I'm sure there may be one, but kind of in between a few things and not really looking for it atm.

Offhand I believe you're right about Rad Melee/Rad Armor. I also think that Savage Melee/Savage Assault, Nature (MM) and Nature Affinity are new. Dark Control, Bio-Armor, Staff Fighting, Titan Weapons, and the Water sets I don't remember either but they could have been i24 versus i25.

Not sure about a resource that lists them. I'm sure there may be one, but kind of in between a few things and not really looking for it atm.

Offhand I believe you're right about Rad Melee/Rad Armor. I also think that Savage Melee/Savage Assault, Nature (MM) and Nature Affinity are new. Dark Control, Bio-Armor, Staff Fighting, Titan Weapons, and the Water sets I don't remember either but they could have been i24 versus i25.

I think Rad Melee/Armor was a late addition, issue 23 or 24. I remember Titan Weapons had recently come out when the game shut down, and think I remember Dark Control, bio and bio-armor too. I don't remember water blast, but I could be wrong. Blasters weren't my favorite class after all.

Great.

So:

• New Powersets

Bio Armor for Brutes, Tankers, Scrappers and Stalkers

Sorcery Power Pool

Psionic Melee for Brutes, Tankers, Scrappers and Stalkers

Savage Melee for Brutes, Tankers, Scrappers and Stalkers

Radiation Melee for Brutes, Tankers, Scrappers and Stalkers

Radiation Armor for Brutes, Tankers, Scrappers and Stalkers

Wind Control for Controllers and Dominators

Experimentation Power Pool

Force of Will Power Pool

Gadgetry Power Pool

Utility Power Pool

These powersets were not tested very much? Or were they ready for release?

Great.

So:

• New Powersets

Sorcery Power Pool

Force of Will Power Pool

Gadgetry Power Pool

Utility Power Pool

Tested by whom, when?

These things have been added over the last 6 years by the people that had the code.

One assumes that in that 6 years, people played them, so they have been tested.

What else is it you are looking for?

Some kind of 'authority' to tell you they are 'allowed' or what? :)

Nah, I was just curious if these were just "in development" and now thrown out for the players to enjoy because the game is no longer supported by Cryptic. Or if Cryptic had developed and tested these and just never had a chance to deploy them. I also wasn't aware that these were being tested on the private server and changed/adjusted over those past 6 years. If that's true, that's really cool.

I've searched when creating a new character, and maybe missed it, but I've checked every archetype and have NOT seen Wind Control. 

Which stinks cause that is my most wanted set.

I have a Wind guy in another superhero game which shall remain nameless, and Wind powers are my favorite powers as far as my own concept for a superhero.

Great.

So:

• New Powersets

Sorcery Power Pool

Force of Will Power Pool

Gadgetry Power Pool

Utility Power Pool

The last 4 power pools were never added.  Everyone gets Sorcery.

Nah, I was just curious if these were just "in development" and now thrown out for the players to enjoy because the game is no longer supported by Cryptic. Or if Cryptic had developed and tested these and just never had a chance to deploy them. I also wasn't aware that these were being tested on the private server and changed/adjusted over those past 6 years. If that's true, that's really cool.

I have not seen any hard data on the testing and balance of the 'non-original' powersets.

I have heard a couple combos, like MM /Rad, are very potent and that Bio Armor might be really good.

In the end, on Live, we could 'break the game' with any AT already, so I am not really worried about some of the new powers not being perfectly balanced.

I come at this with the PoV as well that Thor and Hawkeye are not balanced, why do all characters have to be? :)

I've searched when creating a new character, and maybe missed it, but I've checked every archetype and have NOT seen Wind Control. 

Which stinks cause that is my most wanted set.

I have a Wind guy in another superhero game which shall remain nameless, and Wind powers are my favorite powers as far as my own concept for a superhero.

To the best of my knowledge, some sets were close to completion or in the testing phase on the test server/about to be released, and some things were still more in the planning stages, didn’t have all the animations and whatever worked out yet. I think Wind Control and the other power pools unfortunately fell into the latter category.

I come at this with the PoV as well that Thor and Hawkeye are not balanced, why do all characters have to be? :)

And I come at this with the PoV that saying, "The hell with it, anything goes," might not be a great idea.  If you keep adding new options that are head and shoulders above the things that are currently there, the question rapidly arises, why would a rational actor ever choose the original choices?  If the only answers one can make are "flavor" or "nostalgia", something has gone a little wrong.

And I come at this with the PoV that saying, "The hell with it, anything goes," might not be a great idea.  If you keep adding new options that are head and shoulders above the things that are currently there, the question rapidly arises, why would a rational actor ever choose the original choices?  If the only answers one can make are "flavor" or "nostalgia", something has gone a little wrong.

I am waiting for a server with the original CoH idea to pop up - 'choose 2' - just choose two powersets, out of all of them, and go!

Creativity and fun beat out 'must have best DPS - srs bness' everytime for me.

With community servers and mods will come all kinds of wild changes.

I am already hyped for all the wild things people will add.

Flavor and fun are all that matter to me, rules-lawyering and nit-picking over the little details is boring.

Play what you like on the server (version) you like, everyone wins.

There are i24 servers already up and running for those that prefer the more 'currated' experience, we all win, IMO.

These are in the game:

• New Powersets

Sorcery Power Pool

There is also rad and savage assault for dominators.

Bio and Rad armors are also on the new AT

These are not in the game:

Force of Will Power Pool

Gadgetry Power Pool

Utility Power Pool

I am waiting for a server with the original CoH idea to pop up - 'choose 2' - just choose two powersets, out of all of them, and go!

N CATS WILL SLEEP WITH DOGS BLASTFEEMY

why not just pick any powers you want then, why have sets? huh? why not just have all powers, and use them whenever you want, timers suck.

i keed. mostly.

Force of Will Power Pool

Gadgetry Power Pool

Utility Power Pool

These powers are not finished. They either lack code, or animations. Maybe both.

As far as I understand Savage Melee was also incomplete/lacking animations and had some stuff reused from other power sets to make it work.

N CATS WILL SLEEP WITH DOGS BLASTFEEMY

why not just pick any powers you want then, why have sets? huh? why not just have all powers, and use them whenever you want, timers suck.

i keed. mostly.

Heh. The whole 'battle' over this is the same one I have been in for 40 years, Creativity vs Winning.

Had RPG players that like to start at 1st level, others that wanted to start at 20, others at 50, etc.

Some want 100 points to build, some want over 9000.

Even now we have a slew of players that choose not to restrict themsleves, but demand that the code do the restricting.

Like a DM in a PnP game saying yes or no.

If you play any game just to see moar, bigger numbers and Win, then we play games for entirely different reasons. :)

I pick the powers that are right for the character concepts, etc., not numbers.

In CoH, _any_ character combo can be made to break the game IME.

But, in the original Apha, CoH was meant to be more free form, pick a primary and secondary.

IMO, it's the very best way to play, it's the most fun.

The rules-lawyers and nit-pickers need to understand that when I advocate for chnages of this kind, I am not trying to break anything or create min-maxed gods to make them feel bad about choosing another combo.

_Of course_ to make free form choices work, additional work would have to be done to the game to make it enjoyable.

It is so funny to throw out these ideas and see people lose thier minds assuming only the worst possible scenario. :)

i know you keed, mostly. :)

Nature was the last powerset added to the cash shop and was only available for a short time before the game shut down iirc.

Dark control, staff fighting, titan weapons, and water blast were all available prior to the shutdown.

Bio armor, psi melee and martial combat/assault were going to be released in issue 24, I think.

I pick the powers that are right for the character concepts, etc., not numbers.

In CoH, _any_ character combo can be made to break the game IME.

I try to be this way, but I can't help wanting to be "super" now and then on a particular alt.

Also I'm not above taking a powerset and using custom colors to "imagine" that it is a completely different concept. I have a SM/Rad Brute that conceptually is harnessing the power of the sun-god not "nuke type radiation". That's fun too.

I will make one caveat though. There are power sets that I would love to play but just can't stand how nerfed they feel in actual play (especially solo). Ice and Mace Melee are like that (yes, I know they have mitigation, but wow they feel s-l-o-w outside of a big team with plenty of DPS). There are a few others.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

I try to be this way, but I can't help wanting to be "super" now and then on a particular alt.

Also I'm not above taking a powerset and using custom colors to "imagine" that it is a completely different concept. I have a SM/Rad Brute that conceptually is harnessing the power of the sun-god not "nuke type radiation". That's fun too.

I will make one caveat though. There are power sets that I would love to play but just can't stand how nerfed they feel in actual play (especially solo). Ice and Mace Melee are like that (yes, I know they have mitigation, but wow they feel s-l-o-w outside of a big team with plenty of DPS). There are a few others.

Oh, I min-max each and every character I like to play.

Just because I will pick a 'lesser' set does not mean I don't like to obliterate pixels.

I _love_ that we can recolor and change animations to make things look like other things.

Dark can become a lot of things IME.

There are plenty of sets I don't find fun and the character lives no more. :)

Just because I make a good concept and love the _idea_ does not mean they all get out of the Sewers.

• 2 weeks later

I think the Sentinel class was added post shutdown. the guys at Paragon Studios had been saying for years that they didn't want to make a ranged attacking AT with defensive sets due to that being considered too powerful. Players kept demanding something like it. Particularly players who played a blaster (likely badly) after extensively playing tankers and scrappers and concluded that blasters had zero chance at surviving without a defensive set.