Is Absorption underwear or coveralls?

cohRock

It took me a while to get my head around what Absorption is.  I view it now as temporary but absolute defense to all damage types.  E.g., you are granted 1000 points of Absorption (temporary hit points).  You are hit for 100 damage.  Damage is then subtracted from the Absorption layer instead of your real hit points.  This protection lasts until it either times out or is used up.  This differs from having your max hit points raised.  If you suffer damage, you can re-heal back to the higher cap.  With Absorption, the points are gone.

Assuming I understand Absorption correctly, I still have a question.  Is Absorption acting as underwear (beneath your armor) or coveralls (above it)?  If above, then all 100 points of that attack get subtracted from your Absorption count.  If beneath, your Resistance to that damage type kicks in first.  If you have 30% Resist, then only 70 points get subtracted.  If you lack damage resistance to that damage type, the point is moot, and all 100 points get subtracted no matter the layer.

Edited by cohRock

-- Rock

6 hours ago, cohRock said:

It took me a while to get my head around what Absorption is.  I view it now as temporary but absolute defense to all damage types.  E.g., you are granted 1000 points of Absorption (temporary hit points).  You are hit for 100 damage.  Damage is then subtracted from the Absorption layer instead of your real hit points.  This protection lasts until it either times out or is used up.  This differs from having your max hit points raised.  If you suffer damage, you can re-heal back to the higher cap.  With Absorption, the points are gone.

Assuming I understand Absorption correctly, I still have a question.  Is Absorption acting as underwear (beneath your armor) or coveralls (above it)?  If above, then all 100 points of that attack get subtracted from your Absorption count.  If beneath, your Resistance to that damage type kicks in first.  If you have 30% Resist, then only 70 points get subtracted.  If you lack damage resistance to that damage type, the point is moot, and all 100 points get subtracted no matter the layer.

Also, does it check against natural Def first before Absorption is used?

Considering this is a superhero game, I’d say it has to be underoos.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

23 minutes ago, Oginth said:

Also, does it check against natural Def first before Absorption is used?

I believe Defense always goes first. So if you don't get hit, you don't get... hit.

Sorry, I was going to be eloquenter with that. Oh, well.

Edited by DoctorDitko

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)