Natural Archer

drgantz

I'm thinking of making a Natural origin Archery/Tactical Arrow.  Since it is Natural, I want to skip abilities such as Blazing Arrow, Explosive Arrow and some  others.  I want to stick with abilities that use regular arrows.  Am I gimping myself by doing this?  Am I losing some really good abilities?

you do what you need to for your concept, but I don't see Blazing Arrow or Explosive Arrow as "theme breakers". 

Your character is a normal human. 

You have some wonderful toys in your quiver, that's all. 

Batman has a bunch of nifty gadgets too, but no one says he's "actually technology origin". 

My $0.02 USD, anyway.

I can't advise on some of hte higher lvl powers, since my Arch/Tac Arrow is only lvl 21 at the moment.  However

• Glue Arrow is ASTONISHINGLY good damage mitigation.  Many mobs want to get out of the glue patch and will give you multiple free hits while they do so.  And when a Boss or some particularly nasty Lt's get a melee fixation on you, you can zip across your own glue patch, repeatedly kiting them through it. They may take occasional pot-shots at you with a pistol, but you'll take FAR less damage than if they'd actually been able to melee you. 
  • Flash Arrow isn't anything super-fancy, but it's nice.  You get the option to bypass some fights with it, and -5% to hit on a group of enemies is kinda like giving yourself +5% defense. 
  • Ice Arrow, very nice to park a Lieut while you deal with a Boss.  Not strong enough mag to hold a boss by itself. 
    • however, I'm not sure if Ice Arrow is just a bridge too far for you for character concept.  exploding arrow as an grenade tipped arrow isn't too unreasonable, but something that forms a solid block of ice 2 feet thick around your target, I dunno.  It's REALLY effective though.
    • optinally can slot with Damage Proc's out the wazoo
    • may find it's better to slot with Hold Duration / and once correct lvl the Lockdown +2 mag hold piece to park bosses when you're soloing.  You're a blaster.  Fighting "Fair" is for Tanks who can't die anyway.  
  • Blazing Arrow is a very nice DoT
  • The Snipe is wonderful. Take the Snipe. Love the Snipe.
Edited by MTeague
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

The Snipe is wonderful. Take the Snipe. Love the Snipe.

The only real issue I have with the Snipe in Archery is that the animation is a textbook example of "How Not to Shoot a Bow" -- you draw the bow and hold it, with the subsequent wavering of your aim that is the inevitable result of trying to hold a high-powered bow at full draw, and you're expected to believe that this is the highly accurate longest-range shot you can make. If the point of the arrow is waving around, you're either pulling too much draw weight, or you need to work on strength and stamina in your arms. And medieval military archers generally didn't hold full draw at all -- once they reached full draw, they loosed.

I'd much prefer a Snipe animation that had you holding the draw smoothly, but that would raise complaints like "why does my character just stand there holding the shot?"; a slower, more careful draw that releases when it reached full draw would feel better. But there are already enough liberties taken with Archery to make it a viable powersetn what's one more?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have the same toon concept... but on a sentinel. As such, he still took all of the powers since none of them really strike me as unnatural (even fistful and rain of arrows). I do have the same concept on a blaster (Archery/TA), but haven't the chance to level her up yet. I even went so far as not to give him set bonuses from IOs. As far as gimping is concerned, I have taken him out for runs, and he's not as weak as I thought he'd be. Sure he's not as sturdy or strong as he could be, but he can still hold his own... more so when part of a team--even an all archer team.

Arch/Ninja is more natural than /ta. Arch/ninja don't need no silly gadgets, just a bow, some arrows, a sword and ninjaness. You pin cushion stuff first then ninja chop them with your Wu-Tang sword.

Ninja! Wu-Tang! Bring Da Rukus!

• Haha 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

On 8/21/2020 at 2:22 PM, srmalloy said:

The only real issue I have with the Snipe in Archery is that the animation is a textbook example of "How Not to Shoot a Bow" -- you draw the bow and hold it, with the subsequent wavering of your aim that is the inevitable result of trying to hold a high-powered bow at full draw, and you're expected to believe that this is the highly accurate longest-range shot you can make. If the point of the arrow is waving around, you're either pulling too much draw weight, or you need to work on strength and stamina in your arms. And medieval military archers generally didn't hold full draw at all -- once they reached full draw, they loosed.

I'd much prefer a Snipe animation that had you holding the draw smoothly, but that would raise complaints like "why does my character just stand there holding the shot?"; a slower, more careful draw that releases when it reached full draw would feel better. But there are already enough liberties taken with Archery to make it a viable powersetn what's one more?

Superhero bows build up more and more power the longer you hold them drawn.  I don't have an full explanation, but I believe it has to do with hammer-space physics.

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

On 8/21/2020 at 8:22 PM, srmalloy said:

If you are building up your arms for archery you are doing it wrong. It's all about the back muscles.

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

On 8/27/2020 at 7:53 AM, Shred Monkey said:

Superhero bows build up more and more power the longer you hold them drawn.  I don't have an full explanation, but I believe it has to do with hammer-space physics.

And somehow they become more accurate at Plot important moments.  Even though the same Archers shoot super fast trickshots constantly and never miss. 

On 8/21/2020 at 3:06 AM, drgantz said:

I'm thinking of making a Natural origin Archery/Tactical Arrow.  Since it is Natural, I want to skip abilities such as Blazing Arrow, Explosive Arrow and some  others.  I want to stick with abilities that use regular arrows.  Am I gimping myself by doing this?  Am I losing some really good abilities?

Unless you are also planning to only give yourself X shots per mission and having to go reload someplace I cant really see this.  Having infinite arrows but not being able to light them on fire or having some high yield explosives on them is kinda weird.  Plus Electric Net arrow is one of your better damaging abilities.  Quivers aint that big in this game and 20 or so arrows inside them is pushing it

3 hours ago, kelika2 said:

Unless you are also planning to only give yourself X shots per mission and having to go reload someplace I cant really see this.  Having infinite arrows but not being able to light them on fire or having some high yield explosives on them is kinda weird.  Plus Electric Net arrow is one of your better damaging abilities.  Quivers aint that big in this game and 20 or so arrows inside them is pushing it

Yeah, the best I can come up with for that one is you have reverse engineered the mediporter tech and your quiver is essentially a mini teleporter,  then you have a whole bunch of arrows with beacons you can beam in at a moments notice.

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Fire Blast
Secondary Power Set: Fire Manipulation
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Force of Will
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Flame Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Fire Blast -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), Apc-Acc/Rchg(3), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(5), Apc-Dam%(5)
Level 1: Ring of Fire -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Fire Ball -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(50)
Level 4: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(11)
Level 6: Fire Sword -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(11), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(13), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(15), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(46)
Level 8: Boxing -- Acc-I(A)
Level 10: Fire Sword Circle -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(15), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(17), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), Obl-%Dam(43)
Level 12: Aim -- AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(A), AdjTrg-ToHit(19)
Level 14: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), GldArm-End/Res(21), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(21), GldArm-ResDam(23)
Level 16: Build Up -- GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(A), GssSynFr--Build%(23)
Level 18: Blaze -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(25), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(27), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(48)
Level 20: Cauterizing Aura -- TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(A), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(29), Prv-Heal(29), Prv-Absorb%(48)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31)
Level 24: Mighty Leap -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(31)
Level 26: Blazing Bolt -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(34), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(46)
Level 28: Weaken Resolve -- Acc-I(A)
Level 30: Unleash Potential -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(34), LucoftheG-Def(34)
Level 32: Inferno -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(36), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(36), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Obl-%Dam(48)
Level 35: Burn -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(39), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Obl-%Dam(46)
Level 38: Hot Feet -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(43)
Level 41: Bonfire -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A)
Level 44: Fire Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(45), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(45), UnbGrd-Max HP%(45)
Level 47: Rise of the Phoenix -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 49: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(37), Mrc-Rcvry+(37)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PwrTrns-EndMod(A), PwrTrns-Dam/Rech(39), PwrTrns-+Heal(39)
------------