Daredevil - Scrapper or Stalker?

Fergz99

1 hour ago, beradical said:

This is actually a really solid point, the mechanics are the best clue we have. Straight up damage and survivability overlap a lot between the various ATs and sets, I have stalkers way tougher than my fire brute. And my proc'd out Defender does better ST dmg (solo) than my elec stalker. 

So applying mechanics:

Wolverine clearly gets enraged, which could be considered fury making him a brute. The question is does his fighting style lend itself more to fury than crits? I say no, he loves his head-shots and joint-shots, he's just an angry scrapper.

Hulk doesn't seem to aim his shots for crits, he just smashes, and gets particularly nasty when angry, so I think the mechanics are clearly brute.

And DD is clearly crit-based. So the question is does he use more stealth/hide/placate tactics for his crits, or straight up melee for crits? I remember quite a few fights where DD killed the lights to use stealth to his advantage, and he definitely has stealth/hide mechanics. But I also remember even more fights where he used/threw his baton mid-battle for nasty crits and headshots. So despite being far squishier than Wolverine, he might just be a /SR scrapper whose toughness is limited solely to avoidance, and weak against an enemy with massive ToHit leveling out his defense, aka Bullseye or even Punisher. Who are both Blasters? The mythical ranged Scrapper that ya'll have been dreaming about?

This, I can agree on, especially the points about DD and wolverine rage just a part of his rp.

Nightcrawler sets in mind? Like I said, savage melee seems super thematic in CoH cause of the t9 pounce it gets, but that can be replaced with spring attack. I could see sabertooth no questions asked about SM, but nightcrawler-eh? Since he's a good melee combatant, but not the best out there, one could justify his non optimal picks for acrobatic attacks out of the Leaping tree. Definitely a stalker, especially since the ATO does that rehide mechanic, which pairs nicely with the indigo fur bit

I chose dark armor OVER sr for nightcrawler. Crawler is agile, don't get me wrong, but he can get hit and often does (assuming he's not on the offence with teleporting) Spiderman 100% SR cause spidey sense, but nightcrawler not so much, hence the dark armor gig. I could equate it to his interaction with the dimension and darkness for the fear and aura stuff.

Attack set, tho..? Still cant decide. =\

*edit - typos

Edited by Cakes

5 minutes ago, Cakes said:

chose dark armor OVER sr for nightcrawler.

I agree with your reasoning, he has a Dark mechanic and flavor to his survivability (secondary skills). His unique attack is TPing mobs until they are drained, and acrobatic leaping is his defining style. So clearly leaping and TP pools, But he's expert fencer, and uses his tail for multiple swords, so I'm actually going DB/DA. But has to be Stalker, his fighting mechanics require TP-based surprise and placate, and he has stealth.

Also, damn I would love to see a TP-based melee set and mobs. How awful would that be, your Kin just got TP foed to the group of EBs, or the stone tank just got TP'd down the hall.

2 hours ago, beradical said:

I agree with your reasoning, he has a Dark mechanic and flavor to his survivability (secondary skills). His unique attack is TPing mobs until they are drained, and acrobatic leaping is his defining style. So clearly leaping and TP pools, But he's expert fencer, and uses his tail for multiple swords, so I'm actually going DB/DA. But has to be Stalker, his fighting mechanics require TP-based surprise and placate, and he has stealth.

Also, damn I would love to see a TP-based melee set and mobs. How awful would that be, your Kin just got TP foed to the group of EBs, or the stone tank just got TP'd down the hall.

Got to disagree overall with DA. He doesn't resist hits, he simply isn't there for them to connect. It has to be SR for lack of other solutions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later
On 11/9/2020 at 3:10 PM, beradical said:

Also Nightcrawler has no KB protection. If he gets hit he goes flying!

15 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

Also Nightcrawler has no KB protection. If he gets hit he goes flying!

Is this part of his cannon or just a pun on dark armor? =p

I have him built as Savage melee/Dark armor and with the new combat teleport, he's prolly the most fun toon I've ever played, hands down (So much, id be tempted to make him my main for a long time)

Below is a compilation of bind I've set to make the most of combat teleport

-------------------------

(This one is the side mouse button btw)

/bind BUTTON4 "powexec_name Combat Teleport$$powexec_location target Combat Teleport"

or, as a button for the bar

/macro BAMF "powexec_name Combat Teleport$$powexec_location target Combat Teleport"

/bind mousechord powexeclocation camera:max Combat Teleport

/bind mousechord+lshift powexeclocation camera:max teleport

Using the numberpad, select a Teammate by ordered number and teleport to them

Example:

/bind numpad2 "team_select 2$$powexec_location target Teleport"

/macro Recall "tell $target, I'm about to move you to my location.$$powexecname Teleport Target"

---------------------------------------------------------

Big conflict in my head about NOT taking Teleport Target or Fold Space. Nightcrawler has to see and touch the people he's teleporting and I feel like targeting someone across the map kinda is more of summoning thing... Fold Space is kinda neat tho and the only application I can see would be pulling a bunch of mobs into an aoe storm or off an ally, but then again, that doesn't feel very NC'y. I could see the power useful for a tanker, but I'm on the fence about it

Now team teleport I can easily see, and especially Incarnate Vorpal and the teleport recovery destiny, as lets face it, nightcrawlers super power isn't teleporting- its saving people all the time lol

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 6:14 PM, subbacultchas said:

I'm torn, I could see him easily being MA or STJ, SR or NIN and it would work. I lean toward MA/SR though if I had to absolutely pick. SR because his senses, reflexes, and agility are simply not human, but a result of the chemical he was blinded with. It's not something that could be trained for, it's Super with that capital S. And although boxing is one of his styles, he's overall a pretty versatile martial artist, so MA fits.

But I'm honestly not mad at any of those four in conjunction.

Maybe he is a MMA/SR scrapper.