What level to start slotting sets?

I've gotten a few alts up to the low 20's and have them slotted with 25 IO's. My question is, how soon should I start slotting sets? Kinetic Impacts and such.

Yes, I know this question has probably been asked numerous times. Thanks for answering once again, lol.

Unless you plan on staying at that level, or keep coming back to it, I probably would wait till you can slot 50s, so 47.

Do keep in mind that I have not had a single character hit 45 and start building up such a resevoir, even back in the NCS days.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Personally I tend to slot utility porcs/globals early (miracle, numina, lotgs, KB protection, etc.) but wait until level 50 for sets. That being said since attuned IOs are regularly available here (they share the same listings as regular IOs so the cost is the same) it's actually worth buying at least some IO sets early, especially for things you know you'll want early so you get the benefit while leveling.

Defender Smash!

It depends, really. Attunded IOs, as mentioned, can be slotted at any level. For most IOs, I wait until I can slot level 50 versions, and while I usually stick with SOs pre-50 I am never opposed to investing in a few key IOs that help immensely on the way up. I'm talking about things like KB protection, stealth, etc. And sometimes in lieu of SOs I will frankenslot with whatever random drops I get as I go.

I had some sets I knew I would use that were limited to 30 so I slotted those. Then I slotted some more to try and get permsdom early to see if it was what I liked before spending much money on purples and others. I plan to exemplar down to complete a lot of content I missed so I've gradually be replacing those sets with attuned versions too, if they weren't limited to 30.

I plan to exemplar down to complete a lot of content I missed so I've gradually be replacing those sets with attuned versions too, if they weren't limited to 30.

People talk a lot of minmax talk around slotting, but really, in how much content does maxed sets really matter if you’re teamed and exemplared down to run missions? On any decent team I’ve been on we plow through content easily, only occasionally do we have to stop and rethink an approach to a fight.

Do a cost/benefit analysis.

How often do you find yourself playing end-game?  How often do you make alts?  How often are you exemplared?  How much inf do you have?

I've always found myself planning these modest yet grandiose max level builds for characters yet find out I tend to spend too much time playing alts.  I'd powerlevel to mid-game then play normal to get popular loot to sell, save my inf, and when I get to max, have a coffer of spoils to start the process of min/maxing...but after getting close to max, I'd roll another alt and start the process again.

Since I started homecoming, I've revised my strategy and start slotting 25 set IOs primarily because of the situation with the last above question: how much inf do you have?  On my 3 alts so far, they've each gotten several drops in succession that netted around 4-6mil inf each.  Rather than sit on the inf, I want to have fun with sets early and I can unslot them later to sell if I want.

tl;dr: I'd say it depends how you play...

I plan to exemplar down to complete a lot of content I missed so I've gradually be replacing those sets with attuned versions too, if they weren't limited to 30.

People talk a lot of minmax talk around slotting, but really, in how much content does maxed sets really matter if you’re teamed and exemplared down to run missions? On any decent team I’ve been on we plow through content easily, only occasionally do we have to stop and rethink an approach to a fight.

If it were in teams I wouldn't bother - this is solely for making solo exemplars a bit less painful since my Dom is Energy Assault has one AoE attack pre level 35 and I don't much like PbAoEs. I should also add that it's to get enough Recharge to have Haunt almost perma for strictly concept reasons, and just more control; part of what I love some much about CoH is the interplay between the control and recharge systems so I like to make the most of them at all times.

Another thing to consider is slotting very cheap dual set IOs. At level 25, these will eclipse SOs, but then you're not slotting for the set anyway really.

I guess I missed the bus on attuned enhancements.

Anyone want to offer a quick tutorial?

Attuned IOs essentially always function as an IO of your current level (including while sidekicking or exemplaring). This means three things. First they will always provide their set bonuses unless you exemplar more than 3 levels below the minimum level of the set. Secondly their enhancement value will be scaled based on the IO enhancement level scaling rather than the normal exemplar rules (this generally means that they give less enhancement value while exemplared but give more while sidekicking). Third you can't apply enhancement boosters to them.

So they are nice while exemplaring since you get your set bonuses but you generally get less enhancement value as well and the lack of boosters means you don't have the option to boost their enhancement at level 50.

Defender Smash!

Can you attune sets other then the ATO ones?

ATOs are already attuned. Using a Catalyst on them makes the Superior and locks them to level 50.

Any set IO can be attuned, and will scale with level down to the lowest available level. Below that they are subject to exemplaring.

It generally isn't worth attuning set IOs unless you like to exemplar a lot.