Problem with Storm Defender solved (mostly)

Diantane

When I first made a Storm Defender and got Steamy Mist, other players told me that they couldn't see (to turn it off). But when I got hurricane the #$@& really hit the fan. Even I couldn't see where I was going. It made the game impossible to play. When building a mission team, players with a random character selection would join up and if it's a storm character, they are instantly kicked from the team if they are using hurricane.

To fix this problem I went to the trainer and looked to see if I could change the color of the powers to a more translucent hue. Took me awhile, but I think I found it. On the color selection, make all Storm powers the same on both colors (all the way to the right, 5th one down (a very light yellow). It can't be white. You still get all of the benefits without the headaches.

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2020 at 8:59 AM, Diantane said:

When I first made a Storm Defender and got Steamy Mist, other players told me that they couldn't see (to turn it off). But when I got hurricane the #$@& really hit the fan. Even I couldn't see where I was going. It made the game impossible to play. When building a mission team, players with a random character selection would join up and if it's a storm character, they are instantly kicked from the team if they are using hurricane.

To fix this problem I went to the trainer and looked to see if I could change the color of the powers to a more translucent hue. Took me awhile, but I think I found it. On the color selection, make all Storm powers the same on both colors (all the way to the right, 5th one down (a very light yellow). It can't be white. You still get all of the benefits without the headaches.

Interesting.  I've never gotten flack for steamy mist (or shadowfall or arctic fog that are similar).  The only time it becomes an issue is after you rescue a hostage that you have to lead out you need to turn those powers off.  Otherwise npcs can have a hard time following you (or anyone nearby) back to the door because everyone is stealthed.  You might have run into that.   

I agree hurricane can be annoying (but visually and audially).  Coloring does help a bit.  Again though I have never gotten complaints about it for that, more just if you end up scattering mobs with it too much.  I tend to use it intermittently, not constantly for both of those reasons.  

Which blast secondary is your Stormy?  Have you tried adjusting camera distance and angle, I've found they can help with seeing what you do if further out and up (basically looking over the fx in your face)

My Storms on HC (and most on Live) are Controllers.  They rarely used/use Hurricane.  Mine usually focus on stuns and tend to get into melee range.  Hurricane would usually be counterproductive.  

That said Hurricane does have a steep learning curve and is definitely not everyone's cup of tea.  Experiment with builds that rarely if ever use Hurricane rather than give up on the set would be my recommendation.  Storm overall is very worth it.

Yes, can always go with thunderclap instead (which doesn't work well with hurricane anyway) as another means of control and ditch hurricane.  Its stun should stack with tornado's stun.  For knockdowns you still have gale, freezing rain, tornado and lightning storm.  Probably what I'll try on my next stormy, especially once I get enough personal defense built up and then the tohit debuff of hurricane isn't as important.

• Like 1

My Storm Defender has Fire Blast. Makes for a nice storm with freezing and fire rain.

I tried leaving hurricane off today and the team was wiped 3 times quickly. Now the others were just mm's (one at level 5). So they was nothing to tank. So I turned Hurricane back on and we finished that and other missions.

Edited by Diantane

Interesting, I've never had complaints with my stormy. 

One thing is, think of Hurricane as an oh no power. You shouldn't need it all the time, or even most of the time. Use it only when things start to go south.  Slot it for to hit debuff and you can basically cripple opponents. Positioning is important, as I'm sure you know. 

For steamy mist, just tell them to shut up. Sometimes that's the only way to deal with people whining about nothing.

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2020 at 5:22 PM, VV said:

Interesting, I've never had complaints with my stormy. 

One thing is, think of Hurricane as an oh no power. You shouldn't need it all the time, or even most of the time. Use it only when things start to go south.  Slot it for to hit debuff and you can basically cripple opponents. Positioning is important, as I'm sure you know. 

For steamy mist, just tell them to shut up. Sometimes that's the only way to deal with people whining about nothing.

Yeah, my first stormie was only a little while ago and I just had to take it to have fun pushing Cot off rooftops (sue me) but I only tend to pull it out when I need to block a choke point or when I'm fighting a big bag of hit points AV or banners or something like that,  But I've never heard anyone complain about it either.  You wanna complain about a power you can't see through, that's what water blast powers are for.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

5 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Yeah, my first stormie was only a little while ago and I just had to take it to have fun pushing Cot off rooftops (sue me) but I only tend to pull it out when I need to block a choke point or when I'm fighting a big bag of hit points AV or banners or something like that,  But I've never heard anyone complain about it either.  You wanna complain about a power you can't see through, that's what water blast powers are for.

Or Earth Control or ... being the lone Corruptor on a 6 Mastermind 1 Corruptor late 30's team.  42 other bodies bouncing around didn't exactly leave clear lines of view, yaaah! for tab target.

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Troyusrex said:

I suppress the effect using the following:

/suppressCloseFxDist 200

/SuppressCloseFX 1

The only downside is that sometimes I forget I have hurricane on! 

This is cool. Does it also suppress them for other people, or just for you?

• 10 months later