Homecoming Launcher Public Beta

Number Six

@CaptainLupis, perhaps we should move this to a PM.

7 minutes ago, CaptainLupis said:

I have a suspicion it is most likely firewall related, although I have tried adding exceptions and so far no joy. Log attached though in case you can see something there I can't.

launcher.log 6.59 kB · 1 download

The launcher tries to get files from manifest.cohhc.gg but doesn't get any reply.

Can you ping the Internet address?  Like this.

ping manifest.cohhc.gg

Pinging manifest.cohhc.gg [167.114.191.20] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 167.114.191.20: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=54
Reply from 167.114.191.20: bytes=32 time=70ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 167.114.191.20:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 70ms, Maximum = 71ms, Average = 70ms

Edited by Jacke

41 minutes ago, Jacke said:

@blueEmpathy, can you reply with the log file launcher.log?  <City file root>\logs\launcher\launcher.log

Like the others, I think the problem is something, security software or firewall, is blocking Internet address manifest.cohhc.gg.  I'd need the log file to be sure.

Okay, well I went into IE and added the site to trusted sites,  I added it as an exception to Malware bytes and my AV, still no luck.  Rebooted, still no luck.

I know it is not my router as the other Win 7 box was connected to it and it ran the launcher.  

However that Win 7 box doesn't have all the win 7 updates from MS installed..... I wonder...would any of the Win 7 software updates be a problem? Doesn't seem like it should be.

Am able to ping the site

Reply from 167.114.191.20: bytes=32 time=106ms TTL=51
Reply from 167.114.191.20: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=51
Reply from 167.114.191.20: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=51
Reply from 167.114.191.20: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=51

Minimum = 48ms, Maximum = 106ms, Average = 62ms

Edited by Voltor

25 alts with all the badges!

2 minutes ago, Jacke said:

The launcher tries to get files from manifest.cohhc.gg but doesn't get any reply.

Can you ping the Internet address?  Like this.

ping manifest.cohhc.gg

Reply from 167.114.191.20: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=54

Minimum = 70ms, Maximum = 71ms, Average = 70ms

Yeah pinging it is fine, 4 packets received, none lost.

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

1 minute ago, Voltor said:

However that Win 7 box doesn't have all the win 7 updates from MS installed..... I wonder...would any of the Win 7 software updates be a problem? Doesn't seem like it should be.

I've seen strange issues fixed by rebooting and updating, even recently.  May help.

Try the ping test I posted above and see what you get.  Then perhaps move to a PM.

2 minutes ago, Jacke said:

I've seen strange issues fixed by rebooting and updating, even recently.  May help.

Try the ping test I posted above and see what you get.  Then perhaps move to a PM.

Edited my previous post with the ping

The 7 box I was fixing doesn't have a lot of updates installed vs my gaming 7 box which has virtually every update

So.....when is the next update for the launcher? 🙂

Edited by Voltor

@Voltor, @CaptainLupis, an external firewall could be letting through the ICMP pings but silently blocking the HTTP connections the launcher is trying, but that's a very unlikely configuration.

It's more likely security software or a software firewall on your computers are putting the installer and the launcher in a state where it is silently blocking HTTP (AKA web) connections to manifest.cohhc.gg.  But it lets through connections to cdn.homecomingservers.com.  Likely because has whitelisted HTTP to *.homecomingservers.com due to your browser using it.  (Else none of your reading and posting here would work.)

Absolutely last thing to try.  In your browser, try loading these 3 links, paying very close attention to what happens.

http://manifest.cohhc.gg/profile/live.json

http://manifest.cohhc.gg/profile/pre.json

http://manifest.cohhc.gg/profile/beta.json

In my browser, it downloads them (they're special text), identifies them as .json files, then complains about them because the browser can't handle the security certificate at the start (which HC Launcher requires).

You're looking to see what complains about them, what is blocking them, and how to whitelist the whole website so the HC Launcher can access it.

If those pages load as they did for me with no other software speaking up--or you found what software levers to push to open things up--try running hcinstall.exe again and see if things get farther.

If that doesn't work, then you need to engage someone you know locally who can help you with this issue which is squirrelled away on your computers.  As it is very unlikely I can help you find the problem.

7 minutes ago, Jacke said:

@Voltor, @CaptainLupis, an external firewall could be letting through the ICMP pings but silently blocking the HTTP connections the launcher is trying, but that's a very unlikely configuration.

It's more likely security software or a software firewall on your computers are putting the installer and the launcher in a state where it is silently blocking HTTP (AKA web) connections to manifest.cohhc.gg.  But it lets through connections to cdn.homecomingservers.com.  Likely because has whitelisted HTTP to *.homecomingservers.com due to your browser using it.  (Else none of your reading and posting here would work.)

Absolutely last thing to try.  In your browser, try loading these 3 links, paying very close attention to what happens.

In my browser, it downloads them (they're special text), identifies them as .json files, then complains about them because the browser can't handle the security certificate at the start (which HC Launcher requires).

You're looking to see what complains about them, what is blocking them, and how to whitelist the whole website so the HC Launcher can access it.

If those pages load as they did for me with no other software speaking up--or you found what software levers to push to open things up--try running hcinstall.exe again and see if things get farther.

If that doesn't work, then you need to engage someone you know locally who can help you with this issue which is squirrelled away on your computers.  As it is very unlikely I can help you find the problem.

No download, just the error:

SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected non-digit at line 1 column 2 of the JSON data

8 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Tried em all in Firefox: got the following response for all 3

SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected non-digit at line 1 column 2 of the JSON data

1 minute ago, CaptainLupis said:

No download, just the error:

Just now, Voltor said:

Tried em all in Firefox: got the following response for all 3

That's what my browser said too.  To get that error, the browser used the link, got a connection, downloaded the page, found the security certificate it can't handle, then gave up.

If HC Launcher can do that, it'll be able to proceed.

Try running hcinstall.exe again.

1 minute ago, Jacke said:

That's what my browser said too.  To get that error, the browser used the link, got a connection, downloaded the page, found the security certificate it can't handle, then gave up.

I've tried it over a dozen times now, to different hard drives, with and without tequila copying over, installing over a previous install, deleting then installing. It's always the same result.

7 minutes ago, Jacke said:

reinstalled, same problem

1 minute ago, CaptainLupis said:

I've tried it over a dozen times now, to different hard drives, with and without tequila copying over, installing over a previous install, deleting then installing. It's always the same result.

Those changes weren't addressing the root cause, that software on your computer is blocking hcinstall.exe and launcher.exe from accessing those Internet addresses.  Your security software may track the browser loads and open up access to the Internet addresses.  Please try it one more time.  It may fail, but it may succeed.

@Voltor, thanks for trying one more time.

@CaptainLupis@Voltor, your computers can access the Internet addresses, but hcinstall.exe and launcher.exe are being blocked.  There will be a way to remove those blocks, but it will be particular to whatever software is blocking.  You need to determine which security software on your computer is active.

1 minute ago, Jacke said:

Those changes weren't addressing the root cause, that software on your computer is blocking hcinstall.exe and launcher.exe from accessing those Internet addresses.  Your security software may track the browser loads and open up access to the Internet addresses.  Please try it one more time.  It may fail, but it may succeed.

@CaptainLupis@Voltor, your computers can access the Internet addresses, but hcinstall.exe and launcher.exe are being blocked.  There will be a way to remove those blocks, but it will be particular to whatever software is blocking.  You need to determine which security software on your computer is active.

AVG antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti Malware,

4 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I have tried reinstalling it after every change to the pc, which has included completely uninstalling AV software as well as adding exceptions to the firewall for the installer and launcher etc. but just for fun I did it again anyway and it's still the same. I suspect the firewall is the most likely culprit, I just haven't been able to work out what exactly it is blocking so I can add it to exceptions.

15 minutes ago, CaptainLupis said:

I suspect the firewall is the most likely culprit, I just haven't been able to work out what exactly it is blocking so I can add it to exceptions.

Thanks for being thorough, @CaptainLupis.  Best of luck on the firewall as it is the most likely suspect.  I'll PM you some advice and try to find time to help you further.

24 minutes ago, Voltor said:

AVG antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti Malware,

I do think the security software is the most likely suspect, @Voltor.  How to proceed really depends on the details of AVG and Malwarebytes.  They are complex and it depends on how old they are, what version and products you have.  You can very carefully try disabling any resident protections temporarily and see if another run of hcinstall.exe does any better.  You can PM me with the details and I'll try to find the time to help you further.

Edited by Jacke

I think I can now rule out it being the firewall as I have added exceptions for the manifest site IP address when that didn't work I tried turing it off completely and it still didn't access the manifests after reinstalling the launcher. So I have unistalled AV software, and turned off the firewall and still no joy. At a bit of a loss now.

Some acknowledgement the devs know there is an issue and are looking into it would be nice as there does appear to be a fair amount of people this is affecting, judging by the different threads, and that is only likely to increase as more people start migrating to it.

Thanks, @blueEmpathy, for your log file.  Your log is similar to @CaptainLupis and @Voltor.  And after working with all of you and pondering some more, I am now sure what I thought was the problem, security software blocking access to manifest.cohhc.gg, is wrong.

Reading the log files, each failed installer run downloads several times, including from manifest.cohhc.gg, successfully.  In all failed runs, launcher.exe after presenting the EULA and you clicking "Accept", the next 3 downloads appear to start.  Then launcher.exe fails silently, as logging stops.

I've created a bug report here hoping this helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

Thanks, @blueEmpathy, for your log file.  Your log is similar to @CaptainLupis and @Voltor.  And after working with all of you and pondering some more, I am now sure what I thought was the problem, security software blocking access to manifest.cohhc.gg, is wrong.

Reading the log files, each failed installer run downloads several times, including from manifest.cohhc.gg, successfully.  In all failed runs, launcher.exe after presenting the EULA and you clicking "Accept", the next 3 downloads appear to start.  Then launcher.exe fails silently, as logging stops.

I've created a bug report here hoping this helps.

bless you Jacke ❤

• Like 1

The bugs causing the install crash, as encountered by @blueEmpathy, @CaptainLupis, and @Voltor, appear to have been tracked down by @Number Six and fixed.

Partial installs that crashed and didn't finish should be deleted.

The install program hcinstall.exe should be downloaded again (version should be '1.0.3236.32' or later).

Edited by Jacke
  • Thanks 1

Out of the blue; haven't been on in a while.  Downloaded the new installer (I'm on windows 10), installed to a different directory (E:\Games\...) and ran it.

It found my installed copy of CoH and copied it all.  Awesome.

Downloaded the Beta and it was fast, so maybe it also found or re-used stuff?  It was a fast download.

Everything went smoothly, and no problems encountered whatsoever.  Additional PLUS:  clicked links open default browser, not MS Edge (as Tequilla did for me).  That's a nice change!

Overall, very good job!

Launcher now loads instantly  on Win7 x64 it seems.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)