Open Club  ·  39 members

PC Builders

Reviving an old PC

Without_Pause

https://www.newegg.com/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-2054-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16883229194?Item=N82E16883229194

What can I push this too for RAM, and how easy would it be to switch in a SSD drive as my old hard drive died on it? Mostly reviving this to run Linux on and hopefully CoH. I can run it on other computers, but those have Intel which can be an issue with certain maps. I'm fine if this only is used for Linux though.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I would post the question here as that MFG has some odd limitations from what little I've heard.

Gamer Ultra 2054

• Like 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

If you look at one of the reviews on the Newegg site, it says the machine maxes out at 8GB, with the default being 4 (2 sticks of 2GB).

So you're looking at about $50 or so on Amazon.

If you want to be SURE you're getting the right memory, hit http://www.crucial.com and run their system scanner.  It'll suggest compatible memory and SSDs in their inventory.

All told, between memory and an SSD (500GB), you're probably looking at about $130 or so.

Swapping to an SSD should NOT be an issue.  You may not get max performance out of a drive.  But you should be able to yank the primary drive, insert the SSD in a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Adapter-Mounting-Bracket-Interface/dp/B01LZWX6PD

It's not going to be some raging gamer.  But it should start up and open things relatively quickly (ESPECIALLY compared to a hard drive).

• Like 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• 2 weeks later

I'll throw in "Putting in an SSD may add some real life to it." Did it to a 2014 Mac Mini (that had 4Gb RAM and a 5600RPM notebook drive) and ... nice change. It's actually usable. 🙂

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

18 hours ago, Greycat said:

I'll throw in "Putting in an SSD may add some real life to it." Did it to a 2014 Mac Mini (that had 4Gb RAM and a 5600RPM notebook drive) and ... nice change. It's actually usable. 🙂

Yeah, my MBP 2012 is sitting with a 500Gb SSD (OS multi-boot) + 2Tb HDD for data files. It was already maxed at 16Gb RAM and is otherwise the top of its class, so yeah, the SSD is a good start with the right price. I seem to like the specs on the Samsung 860 EVO series.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)