Popmenu files

Ukase

So..I got a new M2 hard drive, because my other SSD is about 5 years old, and only 250GB, so I wanted more space. No issues with installation of the drive. So, the first thing I installed on the new drive (which is just more storage for my system - not doing anything special with it, like making it a boot drive - at least, not yet), was the new HC launcher. 

Works fine. 
But when I went to make changes to my targeting popmenu...I look in my new drive and ...all I see is the launcher. No idea where any of the other game files are. 
I would have thought the launcher would have installed the game files it needed into the new drive location, where the HC launcher is. I suppose I can always uninstall it, re-install it and pay closer attention. 

But, before I do that - is there somewhere else I should be looking? When using HC launcher - if I change the pop menu file - no changes occur. It's still accessing the old popmenu file. I even deleted it - and apparently it copied it over, because when I logged off, re-verified, and came back on, it still found the old popmenu file, but not the new one. I log on with tequila, it found the new file. 

So, gonna run with tequila until I can find where HC launcher is stashing the copies of the popmenu. 

Remember, when creating the button for the popmenu file, you're specifying the exact path (not the relative path) of the *.mnu file.

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Popmenu_(Slash_Command)

/popmenu menuname <COH_INSTALL_DIRECTORY>\data\texts\<LANGUAGE>\Menus\

So while the popmenu file has been copied, the BUTTON is still pointing at the original popmenu file.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

1 hour ago, Hyperstrike said:

Remember, when creating the button for the popmenu file, you're specifying the exact path (not the relative path) of the *.mnu file.

The popmenu command does not allow a path to be specified. The usage in your quote throws an error as seen below.

popmenu_error.jpg.9fe7565e939916cef62c31d74e76a480.jpg

The proper usage is:

/popmenu menuname

If I recall, popmenus are loaded from within the data directory when the client starts, so if a menu isn't in the <COH_INSTALL>\data\texts\<LANGUAGE>\Menus directory at client start, then it won't get loaded, and can't be loaded from another directory after the client starts. I haven't tested that, though.

To the OP's issue, the data folder in my new HC Launcher install is in the same relative position as it was in the Tequila install, which is the top level of the install directory. It's probably just going to be a matter of tracking down where the new launcher built the new install directory. If I remember from when I ran the new launcher, it wanted to put the new install in a folder called 'HC' in the same directory where my Tequila install was located. For instance, my Tequila install was C:\Games\CoH, and I'm pretty sure the new launcher defaulted the install to C:\Games\HC, which is what I used. If you specified a location other than the default, then you'll have to go hunt it down.

Edited by AboveTheChemist

The macro I used before is nothing like that. 
It's simply /macro TAR popmenu Target

Which makes no sense to me why it works, I just know it works with Tequila. And it worked with HC Launcher, until I changed it. Well, it still works, it just doesn't reflect the changes. I even deleted the .mnu file, and yet it still works without the changes, presumably because HC Launcher copied it to some other place. 

In any event, thanks for the replies, I'll hunt it down.

5 minutes ago, Ukase said:

The macro I used before is nothing like that. 
It's simply /macro TAR popmenu Target

Which makes no sense to me why it works, I just know it works with Tequila. And it worked with HC Launcher, until I changed it. Well, it still works, it just doesn't reflect the changes. I even deleted the .mnu file, and yet it still works without the changes, presumably because HC Launcher copied it to some other place. 

In any event, thanks for the replies, I'll hunt it down.

That usage looks correct to me for making a macro that launches that popmenu. The HC launcher does copy the contents of the data folder from the Tequila install to the new install, so you'll just have to find the new install and drill down into the data folder there to find and edit that menu.

Appreciate it - there is a Settings button for HC launcher. I clicked on it, and it gave the Install Location, and I found what I needed there. Popmenu changes are now working. 

Now, I can zip right towards the Chasers, the Security? and the vines in this week's weeklies a bit faster. 

• Like 1

The HC Launcher installer puts the files where you tell it.  At first it offers "C:\Games\Homecoming", "C:\Games\HC" if the first isn't empty:

0001.HC_Launcher.initial.png.2ad97a99a6e216f9f8a9eb853f699e32.png

But you can browse or write in any folder that is current empty or needs to be created:

0002.HC_Launcher.changed_path.png.055197816840b014cc5c75d354848831.png

And all the files go there.  I call it the City file root.  The whole folder is self-contained and for the HC Launcher can be moved while no programs from it are running.  The HC Launcher is started by running one of its executables, 32-bit and 64-bit, located here:

<City file root>\bin\win32\launcher.exe
<City file root>\bin\win64\launcher.exe

As @Ukase said, the first page of the HC Launcher Settings popup shows the current <City file root> as well:

0011.HC_Launcher.settings_General.png.3907ff453b47f6f9931b25d77d3847a7.png

And following the wiki page, or better the HC wiki page:

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Popmenu_(Slash_Command)

popmenu files are located:

<City file root>\data\texts\<LANGUAGE>\Menus\

for English:

<City file root>\data\texts\English\Menus\

And all *.mnu files in that folder are read when the HC Launcher starts a City client program under any Game Profile, Homecoming live, Prerelease pre, or Beta beta.  As far as I know, there's no way to reload the popmenu files without stopping and restarting the City client program.

After reading in the files, the names of the *.mnu files do not matter.  All of these:

/popmenu Target

/macro TAR popmenu Target

/bind T "popmenu Target"

All look for this that was loaded from any *.mnu file when the City client program was started.  Where "..." has to be correct Popmenu syntax.

Menu Target
{
}

Edited by Jacke

• 3 years later
6 hours ago, BigPapa43 said:

What if you're missing the text folder that's supposed to be in the data folder?  Should I just create the sub folders?

Yes, it is perfectly fine to create the subfolders you need in the data folder.