new player struggles

Wolffe359

hello, my pops told me to check the game out as i have never played it. last night i downloaded it, got it up and running, made a character and played for about 5 min, this morning when i went to log in i got a game not responding message.  multiple times i have tried logging in and get the same message.  all my other games work fine so im not sure whats going on

What does the error actually say?

If you haven’t already, try closing out of tequila completely, then reopening it. This will make it revalidate. Then log into the game to see if you are still having issues. 

If you are still having issues, someone smarter than me will have to chime in. 

@Wolffe359 If you left the launcher up and running, be sure to close and re-launch it otherwise the updates from Tuesday's morning maintenance cycle may not update.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Unless i have missed a day, maintenance this week wont happen for a few more hours.

If you are using tequila to launch, check your AV and firewall software.  Also make sure it is in a non-windows controlled folder (not in c:/users or c:/downloads etc.).  It works best in its own directory such as c:/heroes/homecoming.  Next, make sure you are running it as administrator as sometimes it gets picky.

If you are on Mac, I have no help for ya. 

I strongly recommend that you try the new launcher, look for the homecoming beta launcher thread to find the download link.  It should copy most of your settings if you've saved them.  It offers greater security as well as avoiding the whole admin thing.  It appeared to download itself in a safe location without me having to futz with it.  Some people have had issues with a false positive from firewalls or AVs but it can be whitelisted and runs fine.

Welcome to your new addiction!  Your pops definitely pointed you in the right direction 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EmmySky said:

Unless i have missed a day, maintenance this week wont happen for a few more hours.

If you are using tequila to launch, check your AV and firewall software.  Also make sure it is in a non-windows controlled folder (not in c:/users or c:/downloads etc.).  It works best in its own directory such as c:/heroes/homecoming.  Next, make sure you are running it as administrator as sometimes it gets picky.

If you are on Mac, I have no help for ya. 

I strongly recommend that you try the new launcher, look for the homecoming beta launcher thread to find the download link.  It should copy most of your settings if you've saved them.  It offers greater security as well as avoiding the whole admin thing.  It appeared to download itself in a safe location without me having to futz with it.  Some people have had issues with a false positive from firewalls or AVs but it can be whitelisted and runs fine.

Welcome to your new addiction!  Your pops definitely pointed you in the right direction 😁

Excellent advice Ma'am!  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i am on PC, it worked once and i was super excited. now i have closed tequila reopened, shut down for reboot, but every time i try to open the game it just sits there trying to load and nothing happens , if i click on the screen it says not responding, and i have the option to wait for the game to respond or shut it down.  im going to remove and reinstall to try and fix it.

right stuff.png

right stuff2.png

right stuff 3.png

Edited by Wolffe359

I will 3rd recommend the new launcher and recommend using the  64 bit client if you can use it.  Since Homecoming I had frequent crashes (random file out of memory) during gameplay or the client would just plain not run.  A validate would not help me either, i often just delete the folder and redownload to a new directory at least 1 time a month..  Since I started with the new launcher and the 64 bit client I have maybe had one crash in the last 6 weeks.

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

On 11/23/2020 at 2:38 PM, Wolffe359 said:

hello, my pops told me to check the game out as i have never played it. last night i downloaded it, got it up and running, made a character and played for about 5 min, this morning when i went to log in i got a game not responding message.  multiple times i have tried logging in and get the same message.  all my other games work fine so im not sure whats going on

I'll just add on a 'welcome' to CoH here. I hope you'll get the issue resolved and get back into Paragon City quickly. 🙂

Edited by Force Redux

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds