Elec/Storm put Sudden Acceleration KB>KD in Hurricane

Heraclea

This does not seem to be working.  Hurricane is still scattering mobs, making it still so situational that it probably will just be left off, since it always seems to do more harm than good.

Do I simply need to respec out of Hurricane? 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

1 hour ago, Heraclea said:

This does not seem to be working.  Hurricane is still scattering mobs, making it still so situational that it probably will just be left off, since it always seems to do more harm than good.

Do I simply need to respec out of Hurricane? 

Probably the Repel aspect causing the scatter.  Unless the Wiki is out of date the knock effect has only a 5% chance to occur.  Despite all my Storm characters I don't tend to use Hurricane.  But that's entirely my own bias/playstyle I'm too much an in your face scrapper sort even with my squishies.  Running with the Repeat Offenders I've seen some awesomely capable Hurricane users, but its definitely not a power for everyone and takes a lot of skill and practice to use well.

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Thanks 1

I would always take it.

And I would rarely use it.

It's a great panic button for mid-levels, with a huge to-hit debuff in a period when a character's defenses aren't fully slotted. As an Incarnate, you can generally get enough defense that you don't need to run it and change the playstyle into a short-range style. But at lower levels, it's great.

Even at Incarnate levels, there are times when it's useful, when you face opponents with -Def debuffs or self +ToHit buffs, to make up for a high Defense no longer being so high.

The reason I like it is that it's strong enough to put a -ToHit/Endurance IO in there and be done with it. Even with just one slot it's a very strong debuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is disappointing, but so it goes.  Thanks for the responses!

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Just to note something about it, though... when the Repel pulsed much faster, it was useful for pushing mobs into position.

Now, it's not at all useful for pushing since it's kinda slow. But it's still a HUGE -ToHit debuff, and debuffs Range, and draws a ton of aggro. I repeat, it draws aggro, limits mob range, and floors their chances to hit. Consider that for a bit...

Now, activate it, and run right through a spread-out mob, then retreat. If you have a corner, it's a good tool for bunching up mobs, but the interesting thing is that it lowers 100' attacks to about 50' depending on mob level. That can be used to pull mobs towards you and into a bunch even if there is no corner around.

It can also pull aggro off henchmen pretty safely if you're a MM.

It's also useful in a build that builds for Ranged/AoE Defense, since anyone coming for melee attacks is going to have their to-hit chances floored.

It actually has good use, just NOT herdi-caning any more. And often Incarnate teams are too strong defensively to care about a defensive power. But in many other situations, it's actually quite strong, with 1-2 slots in it.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later
On 12/16/2020 at 10:28 PM, Heraclea said:

This does not seem to be working.  Hurricane is still scattering mobs,

I think what's happening mechanically is that the -knb turns it into knockdown, but when enemies are knocked down they briefly ragdoll.  If Hurricane's repel pulses while they are ragdolling, it flings them.  Pretty annoying.

• Like 2

Yea I tried this thinking it would work.. All it does is knock them down but still pushes them back

• Like 1

Hurricane has both a Knockback component and a Repel component to it. Sudden Acceleration changes the KB to KD but does nothing to the Repel, which while it only has a small chance to go off, will go off and cause mobs to be flung about.

Repel though, oddly enough, only has the KB component, so using the KB>KB in it works perfectly. It's odd but there it is.

• Like 1

• 1 month later

Hurricane is great against EB and AV, their high resistance to status effects means they go nowhere but they get the amazing -toHit (on my offender that's something like -40 or -50 % ?).

While I rarely switch it on outside of EB/AV fights (or stuff that explodes like the crystals in ITF), I use it heavily vs these to great effect.

6 hours ago, Spectral said:

Hurricane is great against EB and AV, their high resistance to status effects means they go nowhere but they get the amazing -toHit (on my offender that's something like -40 or -50 % ?).

AVs resist 85% of tohit debuffs (at lvl 50 - varies by level), so your -50% becomes -7.5%.