Enhancement Strategy for Newbie

Rinwen

Hello, folks.

While not really a newbie per se to CoX/Homecoming, I haven't played much in Homecoming. 

What "Enhancement Strategy/Plan" do you recommend across characters who are really j6st starting out... meaning I ain't got da moolah, lol.

So, all these billion in IO builds, (which I can't even imagine having, lol), are not on the table.

No, this us NOT a pity me, beg for Inf thread... it is a pity me, beg for advice thread. :classic_laugh:

My highest character is 14, my top favorites to play range from 10 - 14; a few each of Scrappers and Sentinels, (my favorite classes), a Dominator, and a Tanker.

Any help and advice is appreciated. 

Thank you. 

With SOs now available at the lowest levels... the starting strategy is to skip TOs (which had a purpose back in the earliest days, literally training users on how to use enhancements) and DOs, and buy only selected SOs until you can afford full slotting. Opinions vary on when to start messing with IOs etc. but I think the consensus is that they aren't worth much before mid-30s... you're better off selling all salvage and recipes (oranges on the market) and saving up/buying SOs and the new Upgrade as needed.

• Slot all damage for Acc first, no less than 1:1 with Dam: Acc, Acc Dam, Acc Acc Dam, and so forth. Acc=hits, which tops fewer hits with more Dam.
  • Don't slot more than three of anything anywhere. 3 SOs = 96%+ boost; a fourth gets you to ~104%.
  • There are very few builds that don't benefit from three slots in both Health and Stamina as soon as you can spare them.

Cue four pages of intricate IO, set, attuned etc. recommendations. 🙂

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

While I'm definitely NOT one to offer advice on most topics, I will offer a suggestion on the 'I ain't got da moolah' issue.

Check out the Yomo's Whizbang Potpourri Extravaganza of a Giveaway! Post.  Yomo is a wonderful person who is trying to help any Noobs and not-so-Noobs who simply ask.  Read through the opening post for instructions.

• Like 1

When I first started on HC, I followed the policy of waiting till I hit 22 and then slotting up with lvl 25 IOs. They are about the same value as even level SOs (32% for example in damage) and never expire, so will not cost you more in the future. Sticking to lvl 25, 30, 35 IOs will keep costs down, and allow you to save money. Using SOs ends up being a money pit as you have to update them with levels.

To make some quick money as you go along, convert merits into enhancement converters and craft any uncommon IO recipes which drop. Then use 2 converters to change them into rares, and keep converting the rares till you hit something valuable (resistance, defense, are tops, some healings are good, some end mod are good).

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Rishidian said:

Check out the Yomo's Whizbang Potpourri Extravaganza of a Giveaway! Post.  Yomo is a wonderful person who is trying to help any Noobs and not-so-Noobs who simply ask.  Read through the opening post for instructions.

All props to Yomo and the others who drop Inf on newbs in various ways... I remember a few 100k drops back in the early days that both surprised me and made alt building a helluva lot easier.

But you can also bootstrap pretty fast these days. Sell everything you get as a drop, unless it's an SO you can use (not combine!) One or two orange drops sold on the auction house will net 300k-1M at a swoop, a fortune to lower levels.

Using SOs ends up being a money pit as you have to update them with levels.

Yeahbut, Inf just rains from the skies these days, even without clouds like Yomo. Not much to spend it on until you get to the serious crafting/IO etc. levels... at which point it's pouring in even faster. May as well SO up through the 20s.

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Thank you all for the suggestions. 

I did contact @Yomo Kimyata who did indeed gift me with 20mil inf... thank you again. 

I felt kind of dirty doing so, so I logged into my ESO  account... (where *I* am filthy rich, with max level crafters in every craft, etc, and I regularly hang out in newbie zones giving out gold, and taking free crafted gear requests, I also do some PL runs for folks) ... and handed out gold, and took some crafted gear requests, free of course... made me feel better taking his influence, lol.

Now I want to narrow it down to two characters in which to invest... I have so many alts that I enjoy to one degree or another... that were I to invest in each of them, I'd blow through it and probably be broke by 30, lol.

I figure if I invest in only two for now, they'll have plenty to carry them, fairly nicely kitted out with enhancements, until they're not only self sufficient, but can also support the others.

Kinda wish there weren't so many fun classes/power sets, then also Blue/Red side, lol... first world problems though. 

Once I figure the two out, I'll put them in lv 15 SOs, maybe whatever is next; 18? 20? ... then at lv 22 get the lv 25 IOs, and go from there.

Very much appreciated the advice. 

Take care. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Snarky said:

you can get SOs at any level now (this is very new!)

Thank you.

Yes, I just realized this last week actually, and thought I was going nuts, lol.

My favored characters are all Lv 12, (one is 14),  which is why I mentioned Lv 15 SOs.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Snarky said:

you can get SOs at any level now (this is very new!)

And the new Upgrade function means you never have to buy them again (not retail, anyway). Just wait until they go white and hit Upgrade... bingo, you're +3 again.

On 12/23/2020 at 12:07 PM, Rinwen said:

What "Enhancement Strategy/Plan" do you recommend across characters who are really j6st starting out... meaning I ain't got da moolah, lol.

There's no right answer as this is really personal preference.  Here's what I do.

In my opinion, we level too fast for slotting ANYTHING to be worth my time until the low 20's (when we could previously first get SO's).  Around level 20-22, I'll start slotting SO's and upgrade them as necessary.  Meanwhile, I'll be planning out my build all the way to 50.  At around level 32-33, I'll start slotting IO sets.  Could be cheap, could be expensive, depending on my build plans, but that's when I start slotting my final enhancements.  As I level up from there, I'll continue slotting IO's as new powers/slots become available.

A lot of people will do a 'leveling build' and then respec at 50 for their 'final build'.  I only ever did this on my main character.  Everyone else IO's as they level up and, when they hit 50, that's their final build.  And I don't retire characters at 50.  I play them at least enough to get all tier 3 Incarnate powers.

On 12/23/2020 at 12:07 PM, Rinwen said:

My highest character is 14, my top favorites to play range from 10 - 14; a few each of Scrappers and Sentinels, (my favorite classes), a Dominator, and a Tanker.

Funding advice: pick your favorite and get that one to 50.  That will solve most of your money problems and fund the others.  Money rolls in so much faster for high level characters.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Once you build up more of a stash, check this out:  

Until then, two simple options include:  1.  Buy SOs ( which are available at every level now) and upgrade them every 3-5 levels with the Upgrade option; 2.  Buy common IOs starting at level 15, upgrade at 25 and then again at 50.

Then I’d prioritize accuracy, end reduction, damage, damage, recharge, damage in that order.

Happy hunting!

Who run Bartertown?