Playstyle for a Dom, and their limitations

Captain Fabulous

I've just gotten a Dom I really like, fire/psi/fire to level 50 and kitted out with 85% global recharge + Hasten for permadom. It's totally night and day in terms of performance and I love it, so very fun to play. But man, I am squishy. If I can't lock every critter down quickly I'm toast, plain and simple. And with the RNG mechanics the way they are means even at 95% chance to hit I invariably will miss 2-4 in a big spawn. And those 2-4 will hunt me down like a mad dog, ignoring all but a direct taunt from a Tank or Brute. If they're moving towards me I can usually lock them down again, but very often they'll just chew away at me from range without my even seeing where they are, which is crazy annoying. I wind up having to use geometry to protect myself and force them to come to me. A lot of my powers are PbAoE, but running into the middle of mobs to maximize their use seems to end in a face plant.

I've got 12.79% positional defenses and 39.18% S/L resists, and while it helps me not get one-shotted, I still drop quickly if attacked. I also have the full suite of healing and end mod IOs like Panacea, Numina's, Miracle, Preventative Med, Power Transfer, and Performance Shifter. And again, the +absorb and +heal procs I'm sure help, but it feels marginal instead of substantive.

Is this pretty much the best it gets for Dominators? I mean, I see people brag about how they can easily do +4/x8 content on tricked-out Blasters, who should be just, if not more squishy, so I dunno. I just unlocked my Alpha slot but don't have enough mats to craft it yet (I think I'm going to go with Musculature until I can get Intuition ranked up a bit, but open to suggestions here). Will further Incarnate abilities fill in gaps?

While I could focus more on resists and defense by going into the Fighting pool, it would require giving up most of the Fire Mastery APP, which is a huge source of damage for me, so I'm not sure the extra resists and defense would make up for the huge loss in damage. My build is tight and doesn't have much if any wiggle room.

Thoughts from the Dominator pros?

Edited by Captain Fabulous

I don’t have a fire/psi, so ymmv, but yes, it can get a lot better.

Get 45% ranged defense. Or as close as you can. All my doms take the fighting pool. It should be possible to keep the fire epic and get much better defense.

Powers to skip in fire: smoke, aoe hold. Not useful enough. 

Powers to skip in psi: most ranged attacks. Terrible dpa. 

Post a build and we can give some more precise advice.

If you're not going into melee you're missing out on the mitigation hot feet gives. using the aoe immobilize will also cut its mitigation. And presumably you want to go into melee for drain psyche anyway. i'd echo the softcapped ranged and fighting pool advice. Also if you're already using geometry for mitigation consider opening by dropping bonfire on a mob from around a corner. then between the ones who're knocked down, the ones running from hot feet and the ones aggroed to your imps you probably won't even notice if flashfire whiffs on a few.

Doms seem very strong when perma-Dom, when they have the advantage.

They drop like flies against tougher content if all they depend upon is perma-Dom, because there will be ambushes, and there will be spread-out spawns, and there will be extra aggro (especially with three ADD fire monkeys running around aggroing half the room).

What this means is that in order to be able to fight against higher difficulty spawns you really need to get defenses up in addition to the Recharge, which is why high-end Dom builds are so tight. Here is what i'm running (fire/psy/psy, not //fire, so it won't be quite the same).. it's soft capped to range and AoE. You need Mind Link+Barrier to softcap both, but if you go with the solid advice and go for softcapping Range only, it will still be quite solid and you should be able to manage it on a //fire.

Spoiler

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.1.25
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Jack o'Lantern: Level 50 Magic Dominator
Primary Power Set: Fire Control
Secondary Power Set: Psionic Assault
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Char -- SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(A), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(3), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(3), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(5), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Psionic Dart -- Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A)
Level 2: Ring of Fire -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg(7), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Apc-Acc/Rchg(11), GldJvl-Dam%(11)
Level 4: Telekinetic Thrust -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg(13), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(15), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(17), FrcFdb-Rechg%(17)
Level 6: Fire Cages -- SprDmnGrs-Rchg/Fiery Orb(A)
Level 8: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 10: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 12: Flashfire -- AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(A), AbsAmz-Stun(19), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(19), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(21), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(21)
Level 14: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(23)
Level 16: Psychic Scream -- SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(A), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(23), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(25), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(25), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(27)
Level 18: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(29), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(29), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 20: Drain Psyche -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(31), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(31), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(33), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(33), NmnCnv-Heal(33)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(34), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(34), Ksm-ToHit+(34)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 26: Bonfire -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A)
Level 28: Cinders -- BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(A), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(36), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(36), BslGaz-Acc/Hold(37)
Level 30: Hot Feet -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(37), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(37), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(39), ScrDrv-Dam%(39)
Level 32: Fire Imps -- BldMnd-Dmg(A), BldMnd-Acc/Dmg(39), BldMnd-Dmg/EndRdx(40), BldMnd-Acc/EndRdx(40), BldMnd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), BldMnd-Acc(42)
Level 35: Link Minds -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(42), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(42), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(43), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(43)
Level 38: Psychic Shockwave -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg(43), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Arm-Acc/Rchg(45), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(46)
Level 41: Psionic Lance -- StnoftheM-Dam%(A), StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(46), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(46), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(48), GldJvl-Dam%(48)
Level 44: Indomitable Will -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 47: Mind Over Body -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(50), UnbGrd-ResDam(50), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 49: World of Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(13)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany
Level 50: Intuition Radial Paragon
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment
Level 50: Reactive Radial Flawless Interface
Level 50: Pyronic Core Final Judgement
------------

• Like 1

As Fire/Psi you probably want to max out Alpha: Musculature and if you can get away with it Destiny: Barrier. 

One option is to consider switching from //Fire to //Leviathan and adding Water Spout and Hibernate to the mix. 

This may sound weird to say, because you are a Dominator, but many Dominators actually don't have amazing control. Their controls last a while and mezz bosses when Domination is up, sure. But most Control sets are vulnerable to enemies being spread out, and Assault sets are starved for reliable secondary effects or controls, while the APPs mostly focus on blasting (seriously, compare the control in the Assault sets to the Blaster manipulation sets or to the various buff/debuff sets). Water Spout does both good damage and adds some much needed additional controls. I think a lot of people are intimidated by what looks like, on paper, a long downtime. Water Spout though turns out to be up for about 2 out of three spawns. It also just plain feels powerful.

Hibernate lets you recoup endurance quickly or evade a fight temporarily while a key power recharges. I can't reiterate enough how effective it is to duck into Hibernate if you get caught waiting on Drain Psyche to recharge and enemies beating on you.

There's also the option of the Ice APP, which adds Sleet. Sleet is a very very very good power on Dominators. It's a sort of control with a resist debuff. The Ice APP also has Hibernate. It has a S/L defense armor though instead of resist which I am less a fan of on Dominators. I prefer to take a resist armor and then try to get S/L defense somewhere in the 30s.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Level 50 Mutation Dominator
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Flight
Ancillary Pool: Fire Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Char -- Slv-Acc/Dmg(A), Rui-Acc/Dmg(3), Dmg-I(3)
Level 1: Psionic Dart -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(5), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(5), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(7), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9)
Level 2: Mind Probe -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(A), CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg(9), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13)
Level 4: Fire Cages -- AirBrs-Acc/Dmg(A), Ann-Acc/Dmg(13), Dmg-I(15)
Level 6: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(45)
Level 8: Fly -- Flight-I(A)
Level 10: Mental Blast -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(15), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(17), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(17), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19)
Level 12: Flashfire -- Bmbdmt-Dam(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(19), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(23), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(25), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(25)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(27), RechRdx-I(29)
Level 16: Psychic Scream -- Bmbdmt-Dam(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(29), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(31), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(31), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(33)
Level 18: Cinders -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(33), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(34), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(34)
Level 20: Drain Psyche -- PreOptmz-Acc/Rech(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(21), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/End(21), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(23), PreOptmz-EndMod/End/Rech(34)
Level 22: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Bonfire -- Bmbdmt-Dam(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(27), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(36), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(36), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(36), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(50)
Level 28: Hot Feet -- ClvBlo-Acc/Dmg(A), ClvBlo-Dmg/EndRdx(37), Mlt-Acc/Dmg(37), Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx(37)
Level 30: Tactics -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(31), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(39), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(39), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(39)
Level 32: Fire Imps -- CaltoArm-Acc/Rchg(A), CaltoArm-Acc/Dmg(33), CaltoArm-Dmg/EndRdx(40), CaltoArm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Dmg-I(40)
Level 35: Psionic Lance -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(42), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(42), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(42), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 38: Psychic Shockwave -- ClvBlo-Acc/Dmg(A), Mlt-Acc/Dmg(43), Dmg-I(43)
Level 41: Fire Ball -- AirBrs-Acc/Dmg(A), Ann-Acc/Dmg(45), Dmg-I(46)
Level 44: Fire Shield -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(48)
Level 47: Rain of Fire -- AirBrs-Acc/Dmg(A), Ann-Acc/Dmg(48), Dmg-I(48)
Level 49: Rise of the Phoenix -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 10: Shadow Recall -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(45), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(50)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(7), EndMod-I(46), PrfShf-End%(46), PwrTrns-+Heal(50)
------------

A couple things: power order is a bit wonky in Mids, but everything is there. My initial goal was to get permadom without spending a fortune, and this cost me under 50 million. I have no desire to spend 500+ million on this build, so please don't suggest I pick up 25+ purple set IOs that are $20 million each. It ain't gonna happen unless I find myself a sugar daddy. But I'm also aware that this means this build might be as good as it gets. I honestly don't see how I would get the Fighting pool in there. I'd have to give up Afterburner, Rise of the Phoenix, and maybe Fire Cages? Reallocate slots from Health and Stamina. Hm, maybe. It would suck losing those powers tho. I do like building to a theme and Afterburner and RotP fit very nicely.

Edited by Captain Fabulous

I'm currently between versions of Mids so I can't open the build, but one thing that stands out to me is the slotting on Drain Psyche. Drain Psyche should usually be slotted in this order of priority:

• Recharge  - you want this power up as much as possible.
  • Heal - you want every point of healing you can get per enemy hit since this is what keeps you standing 
  • Accuracy - the power can miss, so this is somewhat important, but less so than Recharge/Heal. You can skimp here potentially if you have a lot of ToHit somewhere in built (see: Combat Teleport). Note this controls your ability to hit enemy AVs to debuff their Regen, so you do want to have a 95% chance to hit in the end, however you get there.

You normally should not need to slot Drain Psyche for Recovery. The Dominator Recovery cap is 12.51% / sec, which you will hit if you hit 8 enemies with Drain Psyche. I do encourage you take consider taking the side of the Musculature tree that provides +Damage + EndMod to fill in a little of the unslotted modifier here and reduce the number of enemies you need to hit to around 6 to cap. Even so, you should hardly need hardcapped Recovery to keep your bar full. Even if you "only" get 8 end/sec you're still completely regenerating the endurance bar every 12 seconds.

On an end game build I usually I end up with frankenslotting like this:

image.png.f27329e9275e034e253f2ba042065717.png

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

I'm currently between versions of Mids so I can't open the build, but one thing that stands out to me is the slotting on Drain Psyche. Drain Psyche should usually be slotted in this order of priority:

• Recharge  - you want this power up as much as possible.
  • Heal - you want every point of healing you can get per enemy hit since this is what keeps you standing 
  • Accuracy - the power can miss, so this is somewhat important, but less so than Recharge/Heal. You can skimp here potentially if you have a lot of ToHit somewhere in built (see: Combat Teleport). Note this controls your ability to hit enemy AVs to debuff their Regen, so you do want to have a 95% chance to hit in the end, however you get there.

You normally should not need to slot Drain Psyche for Recovery. The Dominator Recovery cap is 12.51% / sec, which you will hit if you hit 8 enemies with Drain Psyche. I do encourage you take consider taking the side of the Musculature tree that provides +Damage + EndMod to fill in a little of the unslotted modifier here and reduce the number of enemies you need to hit to around 6 to cap. Even so, you should hardly need hardcapped Recovery to keep your bar full. Even if you "only" get 8 end/sec you're still completely regenerating the endurance bar every 12 seconds.

On an end game build I usually I end up with frankenslotting like this:

image.png.f27329e9275e034e253f2ba042065717.png

I went with the Preemptive Optimization set for the 3.75% global recharge bonus. I really only need to hit 1 critter to have more than enough recovery. The problem with DP is the range is a lot smaller than it appears, 10 ft. I've found that trying to get more than 2-3 winds up with me getting maybe 1, sometimes none, simply because they're not close enough together.

Dom's can be built very tough.  Typically I'll get around 90% recharge baked in from the various bonuses and then focus on my defenses and hp.  I like to take the fighting pool for the defenses and resists plus you can slot things like gamblers and the resist unique +defenses.  I also can't stand missing on my doms, I like to pair an offensive playstyle with my beefy defenses, so I like to take the leadership pool for Tactics and Maneuvers.  Additionally Unleash Potential from the Force of Will pool is a fantastic defense you can alternate with something like Barrier for crazy defenses at all times.  

My dom runs 56+ positional defenses and 50+ elemental for redundancy.  She also has 70% s/l, 40% toxic/negative, and 20% other resistances along with 1500 hp.  Built right there's nothing like a dom.  Where there's a will there's a way.

1 hour ago, Captain Fabulous said:

I went with the Preemptive Optimization set for the 3.75% global recharge bonus. I really only need to hit 1 critter to have more than enough recovery. The problem with DP is the range is a lot smaller than it appears, 10 ft. I've found that trying to get more than 2-3 winds up with me getting maybe 1, sometimes none, simply because they're not close enough together.

This is why you want a heal here, not recovery. Its fairly trivial to cap the recovery and also not as useful. 

The Dominator Regen cap is 2000% (an astounding 86 hp/sec that is also fairly hard to hit with DP alone). Unslotted, Drain Psyche gives you 133% regen per target hit (4.24 HP per target). You'd need to hit 16 targets to cap, and its impossible anyway since the power caps at 10 targets.

A more realistic plan is to assume you can reliably hit 4 to 6 targets. If you can do this, and you've slotted for Heal so that the Regen is around 183% per target (7.7 HP each) you'll routinely be receiving 31-46 HP per second (versus 16-25 HP).

There will be occasions where you can only hit 3 or 2 or even 1 targets... in these scenarios you still want the power slotted for heal because you want to eke out every bit of healing you can.

If you solo a lot and can fit it, Fold Space can help a lot with gathering enemies to vampire your Drain Psyche from. This is also an area where Fire may be at a slight disadvantage versus Mind, Electric, Plant, or Gravity, because each of those has Confuses or Teleports to encourage the enemies to gather. 

Edited by oedipus_tex

I run a Fire/Psi/Psi Dominator. I'll post my build below, it can look expensive, but it really isn't that difficult to acquire the pricier pieces in the build. Running an hour of x8 level 50 content should get you a catalyst, a PVP/Superior recipe drop plus lots of other goodies.

With perma-Link Minds, the defenses are respectable for a controller class. (+20% across the board)

This is an end-game build. During leveling I needed to take Endurance management slightly more seriously, but I also had Drain Psyche slotted differently.

Contrary to certain opinions, I find that I cannot clear content faster by trying to leverage single-target melee attacks. I play this as an AoE/PBAoE attacker.

Note: The empty slot in Psychic Scream (lvl 18) holds a Bombardment %Fire damage proc.

Villain Plan by Hero Villain Designer 2.23
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Fire Psi Dom Built 3.1: Level 50 Science Dominator
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Char -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold:30(A), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold:30(3), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold:30(3), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold:30(5)
Level 1: Psionic Dart -- HO:Nucle(A), Dmg-I:50(50)
Level 2: Fire Cages -- SprDmnGrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear:50(A), SprDmnGrs-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg:50(5), SprDmnGrs-EndRdx/Rchg:50(7), SprDmnGrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg:50(7), SprDmnGrs-Rchg/Fiery Orb:50(9)
Level 4: Telekinetic Thrust -- Hct-Dmg:50(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg:50(9), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(11), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx:50(11), Hct-Dam%:50(13)
Level 6: Mystic Flight -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB:50(A)
Level 8: Hot Feet -- Arm-Dmg:50(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg:50(13), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(15), Arm-Acc/Rchg:50(15), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx:50(17)
Level 10: Mental Blast -- Apc-Dmg:50(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(17), Apc-Acc/Rchg:50(19), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx:50(19), Apc-Dam%:50(21)
Level 12: Flashfire -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear:50(A), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg:50(21), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg:50(23), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx:50(23), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg:50(25), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%:50(25)
Level 14: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%:50(A)
Level 16: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(A), UnbGrd-Max HP%:50(27), GldArm-3defTpProc:50(48)
Level 18: Psychic Scream -- HO:Centri(A), HO:Centri(27), PstBls-Dam%:50(29), Empty(29), Rgn-Knock%:50(31), JvlVll-Dam%:50(31)
Level 20: Drain Psyche -- ThfofEss-+End%:30(A), TchoftheN-%Dam:50(31), Prv-Absorb%:50(33), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal:50(33), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg:50(33), Prv-Heal:50(34)
Level 22: Cinders -- UnbCns-Hold:50(A), UnbCns-Acc/Hold/Rchg:50(34), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg:50(34), UnbCns-Hold/Rchg:50(36), UnbCns-Dam%:50(36), GldNet-Dam%:50(36)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(A), Rct-ResDam%:50(37), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP:50(37), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx:50(50)
Level 26: Bonfire -- FrcFdb-Rechg%:50(A), OvrFrc-Dam/KB:50(37), JvlVll-Dam%:50(39), PstBls-Dam%:50(39), ExpStr-Dam%:20(39)
Level 28: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(A)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(40)
Level 32: Fire Imps -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg:50(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg:50(40), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx:50(40), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(42), SlbAll-Build%:50(42)
Level 35: Psionic Lance -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg:50(A), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng:50(42), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg:50(43), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(43), StnoftheM-Dam%:50(43), GldJvl-Dam%:50(45)
Level 38: Psychic Shockwave -- Obl-Dmg:50(A), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(45), Obl-Dmg/Rchg:50(45), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(46), Obl-%Dam:50(46), Arm-Dam%:50(46)
Level 41: Link Minds -- AdjTrg-Rchg:50(A), LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(48), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg:50(50)
Level 44: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%:50(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx:50(48)
Level 47: Indomitable Will -- LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth:50(A)
Level 2: Rest -- IntRdx-I:50(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I:50(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End:50(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I:50(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%:50(A)
Level 0: Born In Battle
Level 0: Marshal
Level 0: High Pain Threshold
Level 0: Invader
------------

Edited by tidge

Because my build can look pricey, I want to respond to this:

On 12/30/2020 at 12:19 PM, Captain Fabulous said:

A couple things: power order is a bit wonky in Mids, but everything is there. My initial goal was to get permadom without spending a fortune, and this cost me under 50 million. I have no desire to spend 500+ million on this build, so please don't suggest I pick up 25+ purple set IOs that are $20 million each. It ain't gonna happen unless I find myself a sugar daddy.

I haven't spent 500+ Minf on any Homecoming build. There are a LOT of guides in the Market forum but even if you ONLY want to use the market to sell and buy specific items, it is pretty easy to run solo content to slowly build up a massive supply of merits that can get you on your way.

It can seem pretty "grindy" but most lvl 50 AT can run the Dark Astoria missions to build up their supply of Incarnate Salvage (and Empyrian Merits); when you want to quickly unlock the slots themselves join PUG TF/SF to also earn merits. Don't overlook quick-and-easy merits from things like the Signature Story arcs; even the low level Atlas Park/Mercy Island arcs can drop 7-10 merits in a single run.

Mind/psi and earth/earth Dom here...

Perma Dom is great, but the real key to transforming a Dom from back line support to alpha strike monster is io sets. You need to hit 40% ranged and 38+% to typed defenses. My mind Dom is 45 ranged and 41 to all others... Earth Dom is 39-40 to ranged and typed, she has more stuns and KD, so less important.

Bottom line, I don't really worry if I accidentally let Perma Dom lapse, because defenses are high. I'm aware of foes who debuff, I am careful in incarnates. Defenses are the key.

Edited by SwitchFade

If we're talking about level 50 Dominators don't forget you can choose Destiny Ageless to further close the permadom gap. I personally think Destiny Barrier works best on /Psi builds because throwing Defense and Resistance on top of Regen creates layers of survivability. But for non-Psi builds, Ageless offers good endurance management and around ~15% Recharge when averaged out over time (I'm estimating).  If you go with an Ageless build you can put more slots into damage procs or defenses.

I do still happen to think Barrier is the holy grail of Destiny powers for Dominators though. This is mainly because Barrier strongly benefits your pet and Lore pets where most other Destiny choices do not. But for various reasons, especially related to Endurance Recovery, its not always within reach. For /Psi it should be though.

Edited by oedipus_tex

1 hour ago, ninja surprise said:

How about on an ITF when most things are Bosses or Elite Bosses? Just throw out some blasts, hold some Surgeons, and hope for the best?

The ITF used to be one of the Task Forces perma-Dominators could make a difference, back when it was harder. The TF does show though how useful Dominators would be if more of the game was designed the way it is, with discreet packs of all-bosses or elite bosses thrown in. The ability to hurl a Mag 6 mezz is huge here. The ITF is IMO one of the best designed series of quests in the game and either a perma or non-perma Dom potentially can contribute (though perma Doms will of course be better).

Personally I think Electric Control built as a Sapper rules the ITF. I mean, its not hard enough for it to really matter as much anymore. But the ability to tank the Endurance of the Elite Bosses goes a long way. Other than that, the usual sets tend to do well.  

• 2 months later

Not even close to as good as it gets, at least for me. I play primarily doms. It’s all endgame imo. But its also skill. Meaning by the time I got more powerful I also learned how to play a dom. They are very unique and not for the instant gratification crowd. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 3:00 PM, SwitchFade said:

Mind/psi and earth/earth Dom here...

Perma Dom is great, but the real key to transforming a Dom from back line support to alpha strike monster is io sets. You need to hit 40% ranged and 38+% to typed defenses. My mind Dom is 45 ranged and 41 to all others... Earth Dom is 39-40 to ranged and typed, she has more stuns and KD, so less important.

Bottom line, I don't really worry if I accidentally let Perma Dom lapse, because defenses are high. I'm aware of foes who debuff, I am careful in incarnates. Defenses are the key.

Could you please post your earth/earth build?  I've never played doms very seriously and I could use some advice on how to build mine...