i27 Rambo Build

Nemu

There was an old Rambo build thread that talked about Assault Rifle and Tactical Arrow here

The changes to tactical arrow, specifically oil slick arrow, has finally pushed me to make a /TA blaster. The other Rambo builds settled on bonfire or scorpion shield for epics with is just not Rambo enough (posers am I rite!). A real Rambo has all the guns and bows and shoots all the bullets and arrows, which means only one epic pool is Rambo enough for a real Rambo, and that epic is munitions mastery. And if you didn't take LRM, you are a phony poser!

What /TA lacks in melee damage it makes up for it with proc monster build potential. The accuracy, recharge and defense bonuses built into the secondary makes it a bit easier to focus on the core elements of proc monster builds - procs, damage and recharge enhancement values. If you are tempted by the idea of having 3 "nukes" then this is a fun concept to try out.

After playing with it a while I noted a few things:

1 - Glue arrow auto hits, and that makes it useful against super venged up nemesis. I would take this instead of the typical T3 cone from a lot of blaster primaries. For the same investment in slots Glue Arrow is a lot more bang for the buck when loaded up with procs.

2 - The frozen blast immob proc in ignite won't proc all the time but it's nice when it does, highly recommend it. Treat it as a single target power, immob a boss/AV and then let it burn.

3 - Full auto NEEDS a bigger cone. Also if it's gonna root me for 4 seconds I want my pose to be like Ben Stiller's pose in Tropic Thunder when he one hands the AK and shoots at the jungle.

4 - LRM isn't as bad as people say it is with some procs and it recharges in 74 seconds which isn't terrible. However I lament the fact that there is no rocket launcher model used to shoot it.

5 - Cryo freeze ray is a much better proc power than ice arrow. It has a slightly longer recharge and it also uses the gun to shoot it.

6 - Oil slick could be procced but I read there are two components to the power and each component has it's own procs during their respective states, so I played it safe and slotted it with plain artillery for the ranged set bonuses.

7 - Take Tactics before level 35 which is when you pick up Cryo freeze ray.

8 - This build has a lot of AoE, but it takes time to get there. Don't feel too bad on teams doing +0 content and the derpy melee ATs are playing solo on a team trying to demonstrate how badass they are. Those are teams for scrubs run by scrubs and the last time I checked Rambo ain't a scrub. The AoEs will feel good against harder settings where mobs don't all fall over when you blow air at them.

Now the build - All Natural, All RAMBO!

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

War Panda: Level 50 Natural Blaster
Primary Power Set: Assault Rifle
Secondary Power Set: Tactical Arrow
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Munitions Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Burst -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(33)
Level 1: Electrified Net Arrow -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(27), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 2: Glue Arrow -- Ann-ResDeb%(A), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(9), PstBls-Dam%(11), JvlVll-Dam%(25), ImpSwf-Dam%(27)
Level 4: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(5), WntGif-ResSlow(11)
Level 6: M30 Grenade -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(7), Artl-Acc/Dam(33), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(34), Artl-Dam/End(34)
Level 8: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(19)
Level 10: Upshot -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 12: Sniper Rifle -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(13), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(13), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), StnoftheM-Dam%(19)
Level 14: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(15), Rct-Def/EndRdx(15), Rct-ResDam%(17)
Level 16: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 18: Flamethrower -- PstBls-Dam%(A), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(36), Artl-Acc/Dam(36), Artl-Dam/End(36), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(37), JvlVll-Dam%(37)
Level 20: Eagle Eye -- PreOptmz-Acc/Rech(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/End(21), PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(21), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/End(23), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(23), PreOptmz-EndMod/End/Rech(25)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), StdPrt-ResKB(50)
Level 26: Ignite -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(34), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(37), PstBls-Dam%(39), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(39), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(39)
Level 28: Gymnastics -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(31), ShlWal-Def(31), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(31)
Level 32: Full Auto -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(42)
Level 35: Cryo Freeze Ray -- Apc-Dam%(A), GldJvl-Dam%(45), NrnSht-Dam%(45), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(46), UnbCns-Dam%(46), GldNet-Dam%(50)
Level 38: Oil Slick Arrow -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(42), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(43), Artl-Dam/Rech(43), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(43), Artl-Dam/End(45)
Level 41: Body Armor -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 44: LRM Rocket -- PstBls-Dam%(A), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(46), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(48), ExpStr-Dam%(48), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(50)
Level 47: Flash Arrow -- SphIns-%ToHit(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 10: Shadow Recall -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon
------------

Also if you take hover you are a poser. Man up and ditch your safety net and play like a real Rambo!

Edited by Nemu
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

33 minutes ago, Nemu said:

play like a real Rambo!

Looks like great fun, Nemu!

The build itself looks well-optimized for its (rambo-oriented) goals.  I do wish there were a free slot to drop one more proc in sniper rifle. If Ignite is working effectively for you ST, then that is less of an issue I guess.

I think it's a really fun idea to give a character every incentive possible to use some underappreciated powers as a part of their regular battle plan. Ignite, flamethrower, and as you noted the entire munitions pool, don't get any love normally.

Also, this makes me wish Defender Glue Arrow had a small damage component so I could proc it out in a similar fashion.

Nice job!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

What gymnastics school did Rambo go to?  lol I/k

That's a cool build/idea similar to my mastermind A Team theme.

Gymnasts are buff! Have you seen Rambo's GUNS!? He can probably do handstands with his pinky! You know how? Gymnastics training!

• Haha 1

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

You're right not to proc up Oil Slick. It's essentially a placed invisible pet with an aura, so it works like a toggle.

That means for proc formula it's counted as a "check once every 10 seconds and the recharge is fixed at 10 seconds", so given the large AoE the calculated proc chance will be individually low.

To make it worse Damage set procs like Posis Blast and Bombardment won't even start checking until it starts flaming. 

Artillery for the ranged def is my favourite option for it (with 5 Posi as an alternative if you want recharge)

However remember that Cones love range too. So the "best" frankenslotting for your cones might be a mix of the Targeted with range enhancements and the 2 set bonus from Bombardment. 

Edited by Carnifax

On 12/30/2020 at 3:07 PM, Carnifax said:

To make it worse Damage set procs like Posis Blast and Bombardment won't even start checking until it starts flaming. 

I'm not 100% about these particular proc but I've seen Lady Grey occur immediately, but you will only see it under "pet damage". The hit numbers are decent with mobs--you get at least 2 instances firing on occasion, which are +100 and sometimes +200 numbers. You usually get more than one hit too. So if a proc hits it will hit 2, sometimes 3 targets.

Overall, OSA is good for proc.

Edited by xl8

From what I understand the two phases of oil slick have separate procs that can trigger during that phase. If I were to proc Oil Slick I'd throw procs for the first phase in to get that initial procsplosion and slot the rest for damage/recharge so that the lit phase does damage and the power recharges faster.

Not that this matters for blaster oil slick arrow. In game it only allows for the Ranged AoE and slow procs, the power does not allow defense set procs like lady greys and achilles. So it gets plain old artillery until that gets changed.

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

• 1 month later

You neglected to round this off with Vorpal Radial Final Judgement.  Nothing says Rambo better than channeling his buddy Chuck Norris and roundhousing the entire spawn at once.

If you are already cone-crazy, there's your final Incarnate T4 cone......with style.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I saw this comment and endorse 100%

FYI I did take Vorpal. No self respecting manly Rambo build would have any other judgement power, if you do you are a phony!

• Like 1

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

1 hour ago, Elthenar said:

For me, that lack of a missile launcher killed the Munitions pool.  I could deal with the redrew to pull out a big council style missile launcher.

That would be an extra special sweet addition.

I mean, the animation time gives you plenty of time to do it after all!

You know what more manly than a missile launcher? Cannon balls.

We need a cannon ball launcher in this game like right meow!

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

• 2 weeks later

I also have a ar/ta he is named Thraxo. I loved the buffs to /ta.  Glue arrow into oil slick into flamethrower into full auto is insane fun. I tried Lrm and it using same gun was a no for me after that. I took force mastery for the toggle. If anyone would have capped smashing or lethal damage resistance I’m positive it would be Rambo. 

• 4 months later

Now if you really want a challenge….try an AR/Ninja/Munitions build.  The challenge of running back and forth from ranged attacks to sword attacks, and trying to line up your cones, makes you play like a deranged weasel on crack.  Super gimped (at least mine is) but for lulz and the sheer audacity of just existing it can be fun.