"Look ma, no hands!" option for psi/mind

Greycat

Just because it might fit...

Psi melee. Mind control. Why are we waving our hands around? Wouldn't it just be cool - or unsettling - to have your character just *stand* there and have things happen?

All right, it wouldn't fit every character, but it'd just be interesting to have an animation-less - even effect-less - Mind control and Psi melee. Just think of it - enemies attack, and you just stand there ... while they get hit with psi blades, thrown in the air, the works. No waving your hands around, no circles appearing from  your forehead. Just you, calmly standing in the eye of a storm of psionic mayhem.

It could be an ... interesting option.

• Like 10

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Absolutely.  I see people complain about the lack of animation in some sets and praise for things like Dual Pistols because it makes them feel like they're doing more in combat, ducking and weaving and whatever...  but a mentalist (even in melee) should really be a minimalist with regard to action.  I mean, I guess I could see both sides of the argument.  Some may want their psi characters to just be spellcasters wielding mental magic and like the idea of waving their arms about or pointing at their targets...  others may fancy themselves wielding something akin to the Force like jedi masters and want the character to move in ways as if directing that psychic "Force" at their foes.  But the idea of standing still and concentrating your thoughts alone on the attack is equally valid.  I'd like a character who's attack animation is essentially the villain stance 2 emote (standing straight with arms crossed over chest) while a psychic fist appears and clobbers my enemies.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Dragon Crush said:

While I can get behind the idea, I feel like some sort of animation, whether simply hand to your head, hands on hips or arms across your chest glaring or whatever for the power's animation time might be required.

Ghost_Widow_Emote_StanceVillain2.gif

• Like 1

All right, I can see it. "Mostly just standing there, with the occasional head nod as an enemy goes flying" is still pretty good and would give the "I used a power" feedback without hand-waving.

567854551_Dontmindme1.thumb.png.a0bf08f0481a14ad1c038a885d963331.png

Yes, I know, there are some weird things in the render, just did a quick one without worrying about adjusting everythign properly... just... ignore that... and that.

While we're at it, putting the same sort of idea to some other sets would be interesting. How about a... what would the term be, psychopyretic? Pyrokinetic?... fire blaster, troller or dom. No major motion. Just setting things on fire *with your mind.*

Edited by Greycat

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I still like that one Dark power...  I can't recall which one, but it's a fear cone where your character balls up their fists and pulls their shoulders down a tad and gives the enemies a hard glare they're never going to forget. 

Strip out the skull from that and that would be a good one.  For all I know, that's already in one of the Psi powers; I don't have too many psi-users).

Regardless, +1 from me too.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Why not go full out and use the "Make a cup of tea" emote? 😄

But seriously, this is an idea worth looking into. I'm not sure right now if player emotes can be used as attack animations, but it would be nice to grab some of the simple gestures like nods or waves. There are some really subtle animations in the engine. 

Edited by oedipus_tex

On 1/1/2021 at 3:10 AM, Greycat said:

All right, I can see it. "Mostly just standing there, with the occasional head nod as an enemy goes flying" is still pretty good and would give the "I used a power" feedback without hand-waving.

567854551_Dontmindme1.thumb.png.a0bf08f0481a14ad1c038a885d963331.png

Yes, I know, there are some weird things in the render, just did a quick one without worrying about adjusting everythign properly... just... ignore that... and that.

While we're at it, putting the same sort of idea to some other sets would be interesting. How about a... what would the term be, psychopyretic? Pyrokinetic?... fire blaster, troller or dom. No major motion. Just setting things on fire *with your mind.*

Oh man, you brought Lyta Alexander back to life.

• Haha 2

On 12/31/2020 at 11:09 AM, Greycat said:

Just because it might fit...

Psi melee. Mind control. Why are we waving our hands around? Wouldn't it just be cool - or unsettling - to have your character just *stand* there and have things happen?

All right, it wouldn't fit every character, but it'd just be interesting to have an animation-less - even effect-less - Mind control and Psi melee. Just think of it - enemies attack, and you just stand there ... while they get hit with psi blades, thrown in the air, the works. No waving your hands around, no circles appearing from  your forehead. Just you, calmly standing in the eye of a storm of psionic mayhem.

It could be an ... interesting option.

I understand where you are coming from, however I believe the whole preface for psionic melee was to conjure weapons or hard energy based constructs with your mind. The same mental force used to manipulate foes from a distance, to do your bidding are the exact same forces used to manipulate constructs that is shaped to your choosing with your sheer mental fortitude. Using your mind to project your will in the form of constructs makes the whole usage for hand gestures justified. I personally don't see an issue with it considering the psychic aura while preforming attacks already provides a mental feel, like telekinetic blow that conjures a psychic hand from you mind before you uplift foes. 

Edited by OmnibusOmnh

9 hours ago, OmnibusOmnh said:

I understand where you are coming from, however I believe the whole preface for psionic melee was to conjure weapons or hard energy based constructs with your mind. The same mental force used to manipulate foes from a distance, to do your bidding are the exact same forces used to manipulate constructs that is shaped to your choosing with your sheer mental fortitude. Using your mind to project your will in the form of constructs makes the whole usage for hand gestures justified.

That last statement doesn't track.

Conjure weapons or hard energy constructs with your mind...  manipulate foes from a distance... sheer mental fortitude...  usage of hand gestures justified.

Nope, definitely not "justified."  Not unjustifiable... it works within a specific character concept (Psylocke), but the idea isn't that Psionic Melee should be changed to exclude these animations, it's that alternate low movement animations should also be an option.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OmnibusOmnh said:

I understand where you are coming from, however I believe the whole preface for psionic melee was to conjure weapons or hard energy based constructs with your mind. The same mental force used to manipulate foes from a distance, to do your bidding are the exact same forces used to manipulate constructs that is shaped to your choosing with your sheer mental fortitude. Using your mind to project your will in the form of constructs makes the whole usage for hand gestures justified. I personally don't see an issue with it considering the psychic aura while preforming attacks already provides a mental feel, like telekinetic blow that conjures a psychic hand from you mind before you uplift foes. 

1. You'll note I also mention mind control, not just psi melee.

2. The suggestion expands concepts available for the characters using both. Which can inspire people who didn't like the look of the sets before to play them. Or inspire those who did to make more.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Player2 said:

That last statement doesn't track.

Conjure weapons or hard energy constructs with your mind...  manipulate foes from a distance... sheer mental fortitude...  usage of hand gestures justified.

Nope, definitely not "justified."  Not unjustifiable... it works within a specific character concept (Psylocke), but the idea isn't that Psionic Melee should be changed to exclude these animations, it's that alternate low movement animations should also be an option.

I definitely agree with you my apologies for misunderstanding I think it would be great to implement newer animation that reflect more of the psychic nature of the attack and should be implemented in game.

Edited by OmnibusOmnh
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Greycat said:

1. You'll note I also mention mind control, not just psi melee.

2. The suggestion expands concepts available for the characters using both. Which can inspire people who didn't like the look of the sets before to play them. Or inspire those who did to make more.

Apologies for the misunderstanding

I think I understand your proposal of implementing a new option of animation (much like soul Noir) for dark melee, that allows for more of a psychic of telekinetic feel, whist still keeping the traditional animation. It is definitely an idea worth looking into despite a gray area that is left to interpretation. I have no intent on putting down this idea, I look forward to seeing how these animation can be altered.

Edited by OmnibusOmnh
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, OmnibusOmnh said:

Apologies for the misunderstanding

I think I understand your proposal of implementing a new option of animation (much like soul Noir) for dark melee, that allows for more of a psychic of telekinetic feel, whist still keeping the traditional animation. It is definitely an idea worth looking into despite a gray area that is left to interpretation. I have no intent on shooting down this idea, I look forward to seeing how these animation can be altered.

As always, more options make for a better overall environment for creativity for everyone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Player2 said:

As always, more options make for a better overall environment for creativity for everyone.

Absolutely it allows for more diversity in playstyle and a new ways to re envision styles that has not been seen in game.

Edited by OmnibusOmnh