Echo Maps.

captainstar

One little doubt. Do we still need that "echo maps" to do anything fun?

A part from get some badges and do that quick Adamastor kill?

Otherwise, I think we could relocate these badges to the offical maps, and change the "Adamastor kill" to the official DA now.

And maybe save some space to do more changes later.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

So... you want to remove the echo maps all together? That's what it sounds like.

No thanks. And I don't think "space" is a problem. The maps being there do not preclude "more changes later."  You may not like them or find them interesting. That's fine, you don't have to go there. They hurt nobody by existing.

As far as doing "anything fun?" Fun's defined by the person having (or not having) it. The old Dark Astoria is a big part of several characters, for me. As is Galaxy. (By the way, as far as "moving the badges to the official maps," where would you move the Galaxy badges? There's no non-Echo version of it. The tutorial's not the same.) Not to mention several of the badges have specific relevance to *those* maps - and, of course, getting both Atlas and Echo:Atlas gives a specific badge of its own, as well.

• Like 4

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

15 minutes ago, Greycat said:

So... you want to remove the echo maps all together? That's what it sounds like.

No thanks. And I don't think "space" is a problem. The maps being there do not preclude "more changes later."  You may not like them or find them interesting. That's fine, you don't have to go there. They hurt nobody by existing.

As far as doing "anything fun?" Fun's defined by the person having (or not having) it. The old Dark Astoria is a big part of several characters, for me. As is Galaxy. (By the way, as far as "moving the badges to the official maps," where would you move the Galaxy badges? There's no non-Echo version of it. The tutorial's not the same.) Not to mention several of the badges have specific relevance to *those* maps - and, of course, getting both Atlas and Echo:Atlas gives a specific badge of its own, as well.

I understand your point. But we could keep just Galaxy echo then. And about the "extra space", is more a thing for our computers. 

But if you says that not gonna change the space problem so much, then I have no problem too.

City of Heroes, according to my PC, takes up 5.38GB.

Removing a few maps might shave off a few MB at most. And what do we really gain in exchange? Well, nothing really. It's a lose-lose situation.

• Like 4

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

7 hours ago, Greycat said:

I couldn't agree more, not only to they provide a sense of nostalgia, it acts as an Easter egg for the game and provides insight for incarnates as to how echo works in a creative way by exploring old zones.

Edited by OmnibusOmnh
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, captainstar said:

Hey, is just a doubt. I'm not an expert in computers. Some people here get to angry for nothing.

I wouldn't call those responses anger.  It's definite disagreement with the proposal, but I don't believe anyone has been angered.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Player2 said:

I wouldn't call those responses anger.

I would.

Raaaaaagh! *starts throwing things.*

• Haha 4

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

4 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

I'm bemused, if anything.

Taking things away from people to simply benefit yourself isn't going to land you much support.

Yeah, cause I'm in charge of this server to make any decisions about it, right?

And I was "demanding" that all people here follow my orders, probably.

Pin on Reaction Faces

14 minutes ago, captainstar said:

Oh god I hope not. The guy who can't put together that a map is a handful of megabites is running the server? yikes!
I guess if somebody like that was giving out orders, he'd know how to deal with criticism too, right?

image.png.3d6da58bdc8bd1c3b09ea4644d729890.png

• Like 3

I like going around the old maps. A good log of how they were before the many updates to the game, and good for occasional nostalgia trip. I like 'em. The game's not that big, you can literally run it on a mobile phone, if you look it up on youtube.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, captainstar said:

Why suggest something if you're not at least partly serious about seeing it implemented?

If someone has so little room on their hard drive that they can't even find space for City of Heroes then they have issues that no amount of optimization on our end will solve.

• Like 1

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

Let's not turn this into a pile-on of the OP. Disagree (or agree, if you want) with the suggestion, but this is sounding more like "attacks on the poster." (And/or their PC.)

He made a suggestion. That's what this is here for. He didn't have the information he has now. Whether the suggestion's good or bad, popular or unpopular (and the two are not the same,) no need to attack him - and that is where this is going, folks.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

Works both ways, people are allowed to give their input without OP challenging criticism with personal attacks.

That's not how it looks like things went when reading through this. (It also doesn't sound like English is the OP's first language, given some of the wording choices. It's also why I said "that's what it sounds like" in my reply to him.)

I'm not a mod, but the tone of several of the last responses would definitely ... not be looked on kindly, I'd say. Thus my post. We went from talking about space to people basically calling the OP selfish, and have several pile-on posts that are just turning into an argument, not a discussion.

I'm an ass. I'll freely admit it. I'm blunt. So, when I'm saying this is starting to look like an argument and personal attacks instead of having anything to do with the suggestion? ... Yeah.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Greycat said:

That's not how it looks like things went when reading through this.

I'm not a mod, but the tone of several of the last responses would definitely ... not be looked on kindly,

I'm an ass. I'll freely admit it. I'm blunt. So, when I'm saying this is starting to look like an argument and personal attacks instead of having anything to do with the suggestion? ... Yeah.

You might want to read the parts where OP only quotes me to make petty remarks. 🤔

Besides, you can just report posts and move on, and let the GMs handle it.

...I'm sure everyone here can speak for themselves anyway.

Edited by Tyrannical

6 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

You might want to read the parts where OP only quotes me to make petty remarks. 🤔

Besides, you can just report posts and move on, and let the GMs decide for themselves.

Hmmm. I'd suggest re-reading the thread, because it doesn't sound like it starts with the OP. Tone is important. Whether it's tone you (generically) intend or not.

Me, I'm saying something to *keep* GMs from getting involved. Because, as mentioned, this is starting to sound more "pile on the OP" than any discussion about their suggestion.

• Like 1

Just now, Greycat said:

Hmmm. I'd suggest re-reading the thread, because it doesn't sound like it starts with the OP. Tone is important. Whether it's tone you (generically) intend or not.

Me, I'm saying something to *keep* GMs from getting involved. Because, as mentioned, this is starting to sound more "pile on the OP" than any discussion about their suggestion.

Hmmm, you might want to re-read too, because I clarified my tone as being 'bemused' fairly early on.

But hey, if you want to turn this thread onto a pile on me instead, it's just as likely to get the GMs involved.

11 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

Hmmm, you might want to re-read too, because I clarified my tone as being 'bemused' fairly early on.

But hey, if you want to turn this thread onto a pile on me instead, it's just as likely to get the GMs involved.

Or, you know, this can just stop, you can take my post as it was intended and fairly clear about (again, pile on tending to indication multiple people - it's hard to be a pile of one - sounding like they're going after the OP versus discussion of the suggestion itself) and move on. Unless you really want to argue with me specifically, in which case I suggest we take it to PMs.

Edit:

Let me be *perfectly* clear on my intent here.

Go out and get impressions on what the suggestions forum is like. It has a reputation of somewhere *to be avoided.* So when I'm seeing what looks like a thread go from "I like/don't like the suggestion" to "The OP is stupid/greedy/smells funny" (in other words, goes from the suggestion to the person and a pile on there,) I'm saying something. Period. Yes, I'm guilty of doing it myself at times. I'm working very hard at catching *myself* - or if I'm criticizing the OP for some reason (see a recent post to Purrfecshawn about how they were posting - and why they were getting certain responses) I'm trying to make it helpful to *reduce* misunderstandings or problems.

I, for one, want this area of the forum *not* to have that reputation, *not* to be somewhere where, if someone suggests posting an idea, the reaction isn't "Ugh, there, no, never mind."

And I, for one, would rather have us *self* regulating instead of having to have this forum considered a problem child for the GMs.

Edited by Greycat

17 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Or, you know, this can just stop, you can take my post as it was intended and fairly clear about (again, pile on tending to indication multiple people - it's hard to be a pile of one - sounding like they're going after the OP versus discussion of the suggestion itself) and move on. Unless you really want to argue with me specifically, in which case I suggest we take it to PMs.

Edit:

Let me be *perfectly* clear on my intent here.

Go out and get impressions on what the suggestions forum is like. It has a reputation of somewhere *to be avoided.* So when I'm seeing what looks like a thread go from "I like/don't like the suggestion" to "The OP is stupid/greedy/smells funny" (in other words, goes from the suggestion to the person and a pile on there,) I'm saying something. Period. Yes, I'm guilty of doing it myself at times. I'm working very hard at catching *myself* - or if I'm criticizing the OP for some reason (see a recent post to Purrfecshawn about how they were posting - and why they were getting certain responses) I'm trying to make it helpful to *reduce* misunderstandings or problems.

I, for one, want this area of the forum *not* to have that reputation, *not* to be somewhere where, if someone suggests posting an idea, the reaction isn't "Ugh, there, no, never mind."

And I, for one, would rather have us *self* regulating instead of having to have this forum considered a problem child for the GMs.

Tone is important

Although not many players enter the Echo Zones regularly, especially now that you can't do it from your base, they serve a useful function,

Beyond just feeding Nostalgia.....

Echo: Faultline- Best place in the game to work on Gearsmasher Badge, 15-25 Clockwork Princes are plentiful to spawn the gears when defeated. Badges and History Plaques.

Echo: Dark Astoria- Large populations of 21-29 Tsoo, CoT and Banished Pantheon, need those BP Spirits for the badge?, only good place to hunt them. Badges and History Plaques, and Adamastor Summoning.

Echo: Atlas- Great place to avoid lag and do low level street hunts. Badges and History Plaques.

Echo: Galaxy City- Beyond Badges and History Plaques, there is a slightly larger population of Infected here if you skipped defeating 100 in the tutorial and want the Isolator badge, although I think you can run Outbreak in Ouroboros.

I like having them around, beyond the nostalgia, just for someplace off the beaten path to wander around.

Edited by Marine X
  • Like 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

I love those old zones and old Task Forces just for nostalgia sake.  

I'm glad we can go there still. 

I can see maybe why the OP wants them gone though, as much "time travel" type stuff removed is more narratively consistent, after all.  Even in a comic book.  

Some people are a little more concerned about HD space than others too I guess, Though that seems a less important issue.