Making the change from SO’s to IO’s after update?

Jacktar

Hi guys, am rolling my first new alt since i27 and have been using the new SO upgrade system.

Started slotting them as soon as I could and have upgraded them as they went red.

I am now at lvl 27 and have 46 slotted SO’s all at lvl 27.

I like to build my alts as I level so virtually never have to respec them.

Consequently I always end up with many Respecs unused at lvl 50.

I always change from SO’s to crafted lvl 30 IO’s at 27.

I am wondering if it would be of any benefit to do a respec now and leave all my SO’s in the tray to have them sold when I complete the respec.

Then use the inf I get from the sales to part fund the crafting of the 46 IO’s?

So just to clarify I would end the respec with a fully slotted but unenhanced build and a bag of cash (no idea how much I would get from the sales).

Thoughts? Thanks

I do the same.  When I first started on Homecoming, I foolishly used Merits to get SOs on all my characters.  As I plug away and level them up, I try to mitigate the damage done by using the Freespecs to collect and sell the SOs when it comes time to change my Enhancements.

I do miss the feature of Legacy where you automatically got a full price refund for all Enhancements lost during a Respec.  I'm rather sad to see that had been removed.

Prior to I27 my strategy has always been to switch to level 25 generic IOs at level 22.  Furthermore, when  I'm not slotting a set IO, I only use only level 25 generic IOs until I'm level 50.  This way I can stockpile a bunch of level 25 IOs in my base for future alts instead of worrying about having some 30s and some 35s, etc.  

What changed with I27 for me is what I did change is my pre-level 22 play.  Previously, I would  use just the prestige Dam/Recharge+proc IOs to maintain an attack chain and just not slot anything until level 22, with the exception of sometimes adding some ATO procs, or other uniques that I'm going to be using forever with that toon.  I would just grit my teeth and bare though it running DFBs and Posi's until I hit 22 to make it go as quickly as possible.  Honestly, I began to hate that last 20-22 push, but it seemed wasteful to me to spend a bunch of influence level 28 SO's that I'm going to replace within a few hours of playtime.  Now with I27, I keep my powers slotted with SO's from level 1 though to 22 and I even upgrade every time I level so they stay green and working as good as possible.  I'm very pleased with the result.  It was a good change. 

I could see pushing though with SO's past level 22.  Depending on the cost of the equivalent IO, it may be cheaper.  However, since I keep my level 25 IOs and pass them down from toon to toon, the cost of the IOs for me is essentially free.  Thus, spec'ing into them at 22 just makes sense.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

3 hours ago, Jacktar said:

I am wondering if it would be of any benefit to do a respec now and leave all my SO’s in the tray to have them sold when I complete the respec.

Then use the inf I get from the sales to part fund the crafting of the 46 IO’s?

So just to clarify I would end the respec with a fully slotted but unenhanced build and a bag of cash (no idea how much I would get from the sales).

You will need to move the enhancements into the enhancement trays and vendor them yourself when the respec is complete. Enhancements not slotted or moved to an enhancement tray are no longer automatically sold at completion of the respec. 

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

6 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

I could see pushing though with SO's past level 22.  Depending on the cost of the equivalent IO, it may be cheaper.  However, since I keep my level 25 IOs and pass them down from toon to toon, the cost of the IOs for me is essentially free.  Thus, spec'ing into them at 22 just makes sense.

I stick with SOs now as I slot my sets as I go. So it's a massive improvement for me. Start set IO when available (level 7, 17, 27 and 32 and as I gain slots) and SOs before a set becomes available or to fill gaps.

Edited by Carnifax