Global Taunt IO

blue4333

Been playing my max leveled Super Reflexes stalker for sometime now and it’s been really frustrating chasing after mobs (EBs and AVs) that run because they are unable to hit my stalker. 

So here’s my suggestion, a global IO that adds taunt to all attacks but on a magnitude that is on a Scrapper’s aura level or even less. This should allow mobs to retain their interest in fighting in the absence of any ATs with a built in taunt. 

While I realise that there’s a pools power set with a taunt, it takes up an additional power set and using a taunt power frequently hinders effectiveness and might pull aggro from Tanks/Brutes in teams. 

Let me know your thoughts!

• Like 1

I'm not sure I'd want one that's global for my stalkers versus adding a taunt to a single attack (or one at a time,) but that's just me. I think more people (thinking MMs, here) would find the second useful than the first.

Still not particularly fond of certain segments of this community.

'Not sure I'd want a Global on a Stalker, but it could be fun to have, say, a Melee or PBAoE set that had a Special along the lines of Sudden Acc's KB-to-KD, that added a Provoke or Taunt effect to the one particular attack it was slotted in. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

We have placate procs, hold procs, debuffs procs, and more as well. Pending review of the numbers, I would be in favor of a "universal damage" taunt proc that could give a single power a secondary taunt, so that it could be used by everyone.

I too have tanked with a stalker, blaster, defender, controller, and everything else and get annoyed at mobs running away when I specifically have not used a fear inducing power.

Can I suggest a completely different path that could lead to similar results?

While I like the (extremely) limited role that Pacify (Presence pool) can play for an (extremely) limited number of circumstances, I would completely support reworking the Presence pool to replace Pacify with a (small, toggle) Taunt Aura.

Just spitballing, but rework the Presence pool (also make it so that there aren't TWO choices that require TWO previous choices)

T1: Provoke (keep as is)

T1: Intimidate (keep as is, except allow it as a first choice in the pool)

T2: Taunt Aura (new Toggle, takes Taunt sets)

T2: Invoke Panic (make it so this could be a second choice, otherwise keep as is)

T3: Unrelenting (keep as is)

I want to add that the Presence pool's Provoke fills a different niche than Taunt or Confront... I'm aware that the OP specifically didn't want to take the Presence pool, but getting a Taunt Aura (by any means) would be something of a big deal.

Edited by tidge
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 1:19 PM, blue4333 said:

Been playing my max leveled Super Reflexes stalker for sometime now and it’s been really frustrating chasing after mobs (EBs and AVs) that run because they are unable to hit my stalker. 

Have you tried \bind CRTL+F "follow" ?  It might help with those spoil-sports who can't lay a finger on you.

3 hours ago, Rishidian said:

Have you tried \bind CRTL+F "follow" ?  It might help with those spoil-sports who can't lay a finger on you.

If they're running, though, you only follow them as fast as they're moving -- you don't catch up with them, and if they slow down, so do you.

14 hours ago, srmalloy said:

If they're running, though, you only follow them as fast as they're moving -- you don't catch up with them, and if they slow down, so do you.

While this is a 'work around' it is what my Claws/SR scrapper does only I bind R as well for 'target nearest foe' so it became an R,F rapid double tap.  When they slow I briefly hit forward while queuing my attack.  And, of course, as a Claws scrapper I have ranged options as well without resorting to p2w, temp, or vet powers.

And likely if your soloing AVs that run ... it's likely that running into or thru another mob is, um, fatal for a bunch more cannon fodder while the track star finds his nerve (if not welcomed targets for fueling Soul Drain or the like).

That said I don't think it's an unreasonable suggestion to add a special IO that adds a taunt/added threat component to an attack.  

We're talking a bit of power creep here but some is almost inevitable in any game.  We as a whole just need to be choosy about how, where and when it occurs.